We ain't dead yet

Don't know if this has been posted on another thread, but I just read in one of Ken's MyAJC columns that Jabari was suspended before yesterday's game and for the VT game for a violation of team rules. Anybody know anything about that? Sorry to hear it; I had hoped he had worked through all his problems.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
Glad you can post here because we need different views; otherwise only need The Hive.

The O is not good this year, but over the 8 years CPJ has been here your statement that the O is horrible is not supported by the statistics. Maybe the O has been "figured out" by better D line holding to prevent second level blocking or something. But that is speculation which we'll have to wait till next year to start to confirm. Right now we just have a dumpster fire that won't go out.

By and large, the offense has been fine under his tenure. I'm referring to this year in particular and it is on the coach that we have so many new faces in the skill positions (recruiting) and fifth year seniors on the line who aren't getting it done. My expectation before the season was that an experienced line would buy time for the kids to grow up, but they've been bad and that has been a problem most of CPJ's time.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
By and large, the offense has been fine under his tenure. I'm referring to this year in particular and it is on the coach that we have so many new faces in the skill positions (recruiting) and fifth year seniors on the line who aren't getting it done. My expectation before the season was that an experienced line would buy time for the kids to grow up, but they've been bad and that has been a problem most of CPJ's time.
Well, no. He has had some very stable lines and his offensive numbers demonstrate that. While we have had some offensive problems -- mainly passing -- it has generated a lot of yards and a lot of points for a lot of years. What can be said without contradiction is that his defenses have never been much good for whatever reason. This year's O line is the enigma. They are not that inexperienced, at least when the season started. On the other hand, last year's Bbacks were really good. Really good. One of this year's can't run, the other can't block but on the other hand can't hang on to the ball. So LBs and DEs crash through the line and there is nobody there to even slow them up.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, no. He has had some very stable lines and his offensive numbers demonstrate that. While we have had some offensive problems -- mainly passing -- it has generated a lot of yards and a lot of points for a lot of years. What can be said without contradiction is that his defenses have never been much good for whatever reason. This year's O line is the enigma. They are not that inexperienced, at least when the season started. On the other hand, last year's Bbacks were really good. Really good. One of this year's can't run, the other can't block but on the other hand can't hang on to the ball. So LBs and DEs crash through the line and there is nobody there to even slow them up.

This isn't the first year in the last five that the line was bad.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

FWIW, I think it is a too easy answer to blame the coach for our small number of upperclassmen in skill positions on offense. Here are some guys, off the top of my head, that we recruited who would've been on the team this year:
Dennis Andrews (A-Back, RS Jr)
Anthony Autry (WR, RS Sr)
Myles Autry (A-Back, RS Fr)
Donovan Wilson (A/B-Back, RS So)
Travis Custis (B-Back, RS Fr/RS So)
Ty Griffin (QB/A-Back, RS So)
[Jeff Greene (WR, RS Sr -- if we gave him a RS year in the middle)]

Imo, all of those guys would be starting or on the 2-deep this year if not for decisions they made, irrespective of CPJ and recruiting. It's a catch-22: if you recruit guys who are questionable academically and don't stick you get blamed for recruiting problems. If you don't recruit guys who are questionable academically but less talented, you get blamed for recruiting problems.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Well as it relates to post season games, the team in now on life support... could flat line at any time.

Regarding current players and recruits, I think we have LOTS of potential to be substantially better nest year. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but easily could.

Regardless, short of having CPJ being caught in something illegal, he will be the head coach next year.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I think it is a too easy answer to blame the coach for our small number of upperclassmen in skill positions on offense. Here are some guys, off the top of my head, that we recruited who would've been on the team this year:
Dennis Andrews (A-Back, RS Jr)
Anthony Autry (WR, RS Sr)
Myles Autry (A-Back, RS Fr)
Donovan Wilson (A/B-Back, RS So)
Travis Custis (B-Back, RS Fr/RS So)
Ty Griffin (QB/A-Back, RS So)
[Jeff Greene (WR, RS Sr -- if we gave him a RS year in the middle)]

Imo, all of those guys would be starting or on the 2-deep this year if not for decisions they made, irrespective of CPJ and recruiting. It's a catch-22: if you recruit guys who are questionable academically and don't stick you get blamed for recruiting problems. If you don't recruit guys who are questionable academically but less talented, you get blamed for recruiting problems.

Great list, the D would have had similar additions as well.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The way it's looking. 5-7 will get us into a bowl game. As of now there isn't enough bowl eligible teams and our schedule strength and APR could land us a spot. I'm all for it but it's pretty sad that there are that many bowl games now. It's not like it was 10-20 years ago. Anything before December 29-31 is almost meaningless now days...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The way it's looking. 5-7 will get us into a bowl game. As of now there isn't enough bowl eligible teams and our schedule strength and APR could land us a spot. I'm all for it but it's pretty sad that there are that many bowl games now. It's not like it was 10-20 years ago. Anything before December 29-31 is almost meaningless now days...
Really kind of interesting if you are right. If nothing else it would offer a glimmer of hope for additional practice sessions. But, 5-7? Geez.