Way Too Early Starting Lineup vs Clemson

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m intrigued to see if Lee stays on the DL. Would seem to have a good burst and first step.

Lee was listed at 287 last year. Not a terrible weight to play inside but 10 more lbs would be nice.

Got my fingers crossed that he can be a surprise at one of the DT spots.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If you don’t think the prize recruit of Collins first class won’t see significant time at RB you are nuts. Collins is building so the young guys will play significant minutes all over the field.
He’s going to play the best, ATL (above the line) if Griffin is there he will play, if not he won’t play, and that’s something we don’t know yet. He’s not going to play someone who’s not ready just because he’s the prize recruit, and because he’s young and he’s building the team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m intrigued to see if Lee stays on the DL. Would seem to have a good burst and first step.

Lee played DL in HS. I'm not bashing Lee at all, but he was not highly recruited playing on the DL in HS. Best offer was Lousiana Lafayette. If he was a good DL, he would have been more highly recruited to play there as opposed to a coach taking a chance and projecting on the other side of the ball because Lee's skillset fit what CPJ was looking for. I'm not sure spending his time the last 3 years on the OL helped him improve his play on the DL.

Of course, I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong and hope he turns into an All-ACC DT for us. I just wouldn't bet too much on it, but more that CGC is moving a lot of pieces around and seeing what all he has. For that, I LOVE IT!!! I've beat the drum for years that coaches needed to experiment more with positional flexibility because we've had some pretty dang good athletes that could have been really good players elsewhere.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
More than Qb and
Not great. This position needs the most work. Key will earn his money

For us to attract elite skill players it is vital he show he can coach up the ol players he has on hand.
Without a solid ol coach and high star ol recruits (it matters to hs kids) on way, we will not attract the elite qbs and wrs we need to be very competitive w the uga, nd, clem

For now i hope he can generate interest based on his reputation and the total support of most of the fans.
If we can play well he may be able to flip some top ol recruits in late fall and early next year.

i am in hopes that ol can learn to legally hold - got to teach good arm techniques and get Quinney to bulk up in chest and shoulders.

so for long term i agree ol BEING GOOD is most important path.

For short term , its clearly dl that is biggest concern.

THEN follows very closely having qb and wr on same page reading defenses in more than dump passes.

lots of coaching and playing needs to come together for this to be a year where we take a bold step towards elite.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll be shocked if Jamious Griffin doesn't redshirt. If he's ATL I could see him getting time in 4 games. But CGC has been talking about roster management since his first press conference. We have such a full roster at BB->RB. Unless we have a ton of attrition or position changes, I have to think CGC is going to try to build some separation.

Benson, Howard, and Mason have all shown enough to be pretty sure they'll be ATL at RB. Malloy is supposed to be real good. BJS has also expressed interest in RB. There's also Amerson and Macrina. I HOPE Jamious shows up in the fall and beats out all 6 of them. More likely, IMHO, it takes some time for him to learn the system, get College-level S&C and he plays some late in the year.

**Also, I went to look at the official roster to refresh my memory on the BB->RBs and see if any position changes were listed. Everyone is now listed as a RB, except Howard and Mason are still listed as BB (and Dante Smith as AB.) Wonder if that means something? I don't want to over-speculate, but it's odd they're not updated...

https://ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/roster/#

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The only way Griffin redshirts is if it was discussed before he signed. I don’t see the same depth at RB as you do. We have a lot of players at that position who won’t play and will transfer. That’s how the separation will occur. Besides, Griffin won’t be the last high end RB we get in the next few classes. I could see Amerson taking a redshirt.