Watching Temple vs Duke,,,,Impressive!!

Milwaukee

Banned
35+ year Temple fan who just came across this thread. Its amusing and some of the c0mmentary reflects about as much knowledge of our personnel as I have about Georgia Tech's.... None but hey, many, many years ago, when I was a boy, an offensive lineman for GT had the same name as me so that always stuck w me. But anywho....

I hope you like what you saw because you are getting Collins and both our coordinators. Overall, I think Collins did a good job at Temple. Some fans will be happy you are getting Pataneude. Alot of fans didnt like him. I didnt share those feelings. I think Temple scored the most points they ever had this season, so how bad could he be? Well, he did OK and part of it was the American Conference too. The thing which made fans mad was, the guy who started at QB for us in the Duke game, and frankly turned our season around this year was the QB number 4 over the Collins/Pataneude era. Again there are a host of factors here but some fans felt GC/DP should have realized Russo, QB#4, was the guy to go to 2 seasons ago...btw, the guy they chose as #1 and started Collins first game as Temple HC @ Notre Dame finished his career at ETSU as the back up. That would be East Tennessee State, if you dont recognize the name in all that alphabet soup.

Now, what do I think of your hire? Ive posted any HC who wins at Temple is a good coach. So, I think GC is a good HC. I dont begrudge him for leaving after 2 years as some of our fans do. I didnt like his recruiting at Temple. I didnt like the players and I like even less he is leaving this class. Im sure you know about Manny Diaz so that situation has me even more unnerved. Well, you ask, how does this affect you? Well, Collins won at Temple with the previous HC's players. Matt Rhule who won the AAC Champiosnhip and then took 30Million at Baylor. Almost all of the starters, including Russo and QB#3 and QB#2 and QB#1 were all Rhule's recruits. In fact, almost every starter on the field over the last 2 years was Matt Rhule's recruits. Someone made a comment early on about our size on the DL and how small they were. Well, all those players were Matt Rhule's recruits. Fact is, Collins didnt bring anybody to Temple in his 2 recruiting classes to move them out of a starting slot. In fact, the two biggest impact players Collins brought, in 2 years, was an OL from Sweden, who started this year and a grad transfer from Presbyterian College, Rock Ya Sin, a CB who sat out the Bowl game for NFL Draft considerations. So, in almost all the two years where Geoff Collins amassed 15 wins at Temple, he did so with Matt Rhule's players,a scandinavian and a mercenary who is a legit NFL talent.

Is this bad? I dont know. I get the impression Collins is a southerner. I didnt think he was making inroads recruiting the Northeast. For instance, Collins only got one player in PA's Top 50, a RB at about number 43. Contrastly, Matt Rhule landed 2 players in PA Top 6, yes 2 of the top 6, his last full recruiting year, one of which was......Anthony Russo, QB #4 according to Collins/Pataneude. I dont know if Collins will succeed at Ga Tech but I believe he better recruit and plan alot better than he did at Temple. You are not getting Matt Rhule, you are literally getting his leftovers....

Did you expect him to recruit like Penn State? It's Temple, for God's sake.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
35+ year Temple fan who just came across this thread. Its amusing and some of the c0mmentary reflects about as much knowledge of our personnel as I have about Georgia Tech's.... None but hey, many, many years ago, when I was a boy, an offensive lineman for GT had the same name as me so that always stuck w me. But anywho....

I hope you like what you saw because you are getting Collins and both our coordinators. Overall, I think Collins did a good job at Temple. Some fans will be happy you are getting Pataneude. Alot of fans didnt like him. I didnt share those feelings. I think Temple scored the most points they ever had this season, so how bad could he be? Well, he did OK and part of it was the American Conference too. The thing which made fans mad was, the guy who started at QB for us in the Duke game, and frankly turned our season around this year was the QB number 4 over the Collins/Pataneude era. Again there are a host of factors here but some fans felt GC/DP should have realized Russo, QB#4, was the guy to go to 2 seasons ago...btw, the guy they chose as #1 and started Collins first game as Temple HC @ Notre Dame finished his career at ETSU as the back up. That would be East Tennessee State, if you dont recognize the name in all that alphabet soup.

Now, what do I think of your hire? Ive posted any HC who wins at Temple is a good coach. So, I think GC is a good HC. I dont begrudge him for leaving after 2 years as some of our fans do. I didnt like his recruiting at Temple. I didnt like the players and I like even less he is leaving this class. Im sure you know about Manny Diaz so that situation has me even more unnerved. Well, you ask, how does this affect you? Well, Collins won at Temple with the previous HC's players. Matt Rhule who won the AAC Champiosnhip and then took 30Million at Baylor. Almost all of the starters, including Russo and QB#3 and QB#2 and QB#1 were all Rhule's recruits. In fact, almost every starter on the field over the last 2 years was Matt Rhule's recruits. Someone made a comment early on about our size on the DL and how small they were. Well, all those players were Matt Rhule's recruits. Fact is, Collins didnt bring anybody to Temple in his 2 recruiting classes to move them out of a starting slot. In fact, the two biggest impact players Collins brought, in 2 years, was an OL from Sweden, who started this year and a grad transfer from Presbyterian College, Rock Ya Sin, a CB who sat out the Bowl game for NFL Draft considerations. So, in almost all the two years where Geoff Collins amassed 15 wins at Temple, he did so with Matt Rhule's players,a scandinavian and a mercenary who is a legit NFL talent.

Is this bad? I dont know. I get the impression Collins is a southerner. I didnt think he was making inroads recruiting the Northeast. For instance, Collins only got one player in PA's Top 50, a RB at about number 43. Contrastly, Matt Rhule landed 2 players in PA Top 6, yes 2 of the top 6, his last full recruiting year, one of which was......Anthony Russo, QB #4 according to Collins/Pataneude. I dont know if Collins will succeed at Ga Tech but I believe he better recruit and plan alot better than he did at Temple. You are not getting Matt Rhule, you are literally getting his leftovers....
Thanks for taking the time for a very solid analysis and your opinions. As many of us feel there are some good things in CGCs hiring and a number of unknowns. Time will tell and we will support him along the way. It is what it is. THWG!

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow

I hope you like what you saw because you are getting Collins and both our coordinators. Overall, I think Collins did a good job at Temple. Some fans will be happy you are getting Pataneude. Alot of fans didnt like him. I didnt share those feelings. I think Temple scored the most points they ever had this season, so how bad could he be? Well, he did OK and part of it was the American Conference too. The thing which made fans mad was, the guy who started at QB for us in the Duke game, and frankly turned our season around this year was the QB number 4 over the Collins/Pataneude era. Again there are a host of factors here but some fans felt GC/DP should have realized Russo, QB#4, was the guy to go to 2 seasons ago...btw, the guy they chose as #1 and started Collins first game as Temple HC @ Notre Dame finished his career at ETSU as the back up. That would be East Tennessee State, if you dont recognize the name in all that

You say you didn’t like the players Collins recruited. Do you mean just based on playing ability, or other issues such as character, etc.?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

But here's the thing about Collins' recruits: Wouldn't most of them have been Freshmen, or at most redshirt Frosh and Sophomores, even in his second year there? So of course "almost every starter over the past two years were Ruhle's recruits". Who else would they be? Almost every one of our starters over the next two years will be Johnson's.

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
But here's the thing about Collins' recruits: Wouldn't most of them have been Freshmen, or at most redshirt Frosh and Sophomores, even in his second year there? So of course "almost every starter over the past two years were Ruhle's recruits". Who else would they be? Almost every one of our starters over the next two years will be Johnson's.

Exactly, the next two seasons will be a greater indicator of the talent that he brought in

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Huh. How do you get that from that?

Lol just messing with you really. But you were the one comparing ability to recruit between 2 schools. Admittedly Pitt and Penn State is much more comparable to GT v mutts. Ga State is probably more comparable to Temple but they haven’t been nearly as good in sports as Temple.

MH55

Banned
Almost every one of our starters over the next two years will be Johnson's.
Fair point but I was almost going beyond the starters. I was talking about contributors. I was pretty disappointed w the players Collins & staff brought in upon hire and none of them have made any impact at Temple. Conversely, Matt Rhule signed 26 players in his first two months at Baylor, flipping 11 P5 recruits in the process. His QB was a signee. Im not Rhule's publicist, just think he did a better job

Hey, whats fun about all this is we're going to see together what our teams look like next year. Enjoy Philly. I will come back in August and post a few hints or suggestions for anyone interested.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Fair point but I was almost going beyond the starters. I was talking about contributors. I was pretty disappointed w the players Collins & staff brought in upon hire and none of them have made any impact at Temple. Conversely, Matt Rhule signed 26 players in his first two months at Baylor, flipping 11 P5 recruits in the process. His QB was a signee. Im not Rhule's publicist, just think he did a better job

Hey, whats fun about all this is we're going to see together what our teams look like next year. Enjoy Philly. I will come back in August and post a few hints or suggestions for anyone interested.

Hope I can get up there. I always wanted to visit Philly - see the Liberty Bell, have a little homemade cheesesteak. I think Collins will do better recruiting down here, in his territory. See you in the fall...