Was Hotel Management a degree offering at GT in the 70's?

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There were/are many non engineering degrees offered at Tech....but they are all science degrees. Architecture, Math, Psychology,Chemistry, and Biology

I remember a Textiles College in the early seventies that offered Textile Chemistry, Textile Engineering, and I think a BS Textiles degree. It was considered the easiest degree at GT.

slugboy

Staff member
I remember a Textiles College in the early seventies that offered Textile Chemistry, Textile Engineering, and I think a BS Textiles degree. It was considered the easiest degree at GT.
Intro to Textiles was nicknamed "Socks for Jocks". They also had project classes where they made huge runs of scarves and other products that they sold off to students. The school lasted into the 90's (the industry was fading away by then, with pretty much just Milliken left). I think they folded into ME.

You were pretty well set for a job at a textile plant in Alabama or the Carolinas after graduation.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This. Needs to be said over and over and over again.
So sick of hearing Stanford used as a point of comparison for Tech. Even by dumbass Tech fans.

You understand that Tech has a School of History and Sociology that offers a degree in History, Technology and Science that a lot of our jocks major in.

According to Tech, the degree is "comparable to traditional liberal arts degrees in history and sociology" and the "HTS curriculum allows more free electives than any major at Georgia Tech."

I'm sick of Tech fans that attended the school many years ago (like I did) who don't have a clue how much Tech has changed. Don't let the facts get in the way of excuses for mediocre athletics.

Animal02

Banned
You understand that Tech has a School of History and Sociology that offers a degree in History, Technology and Science that a lot of our jocks major in.

According to Tech, the degree is "comparable to traditional liberal arts degrees in history and sociology" and the "HTS curriculum allows more free electives than any major at Georgia Tech."

I'm sick of Tech fans that attended the school many years ago (like I did) who don't have a clue how much Tech has changed. Don't let the facts get in the way of excuses for mediocre athletics.
It is still a Science degree and requires a lot of the calculus light class if I recall....not a liberal arts degree.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have often argued against The comparison of GT with Stanford, Duke, etc. Arguing that Tech does not have the easy liberal arts courses such as African-American and feminist studies, etc. But I have just reviewed the course offerings for the Ivan Allen College of Liberal arts, and do find a number of those soft liberal arts courses. Question is can GT athletes take courses in the Ivan Allen school?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
"The history of Georgia State University began in 1913 when it was founded as the Georgia Institute of Technology's "Evening School of Commerce.""
"When the reorganization of state government created a Board of Regents to govern the University System of Georgia, the Regents decided that the Georgia Tech Evening School of Commerce should be an independent college in the new System. Independent throughout the Depression and World War II, the Tech School of Commerce in 1947 was incorporated by the Board of Regents into the program of the University of Georgia. At that time the institution became the "Atlanta Division of the University of Georgia.""

I guess we lost the School of commerce in 1947. I thought it carried over into the 50's, but I guess not. Hotel Management could have been an option under the management program, but I don't ever remember it when i was in school, and I was there from 1964-1968 and 1970-1975.

Bob
The School of Commerce was removed from Tech. in the 1930s and moved to Athens. It later moved to Atlanta and eventually became Georgia State.