Was Hotel Management a degree offering at GT in the 70's?

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I know I shouldn't have but I passed by 680 the Dwag around 1:20p on Wednesday, 12/5. John Kincaide openly questioned the difficulty of recruiting student athletes at GT, saying "If Stanford can get great student athletes and be in the Top 25 consistently, why can't GT".

The number of and differences in degree program offerings has been discussed ad nauseum here but then Buck brought up that when Pepper Rogers was here, he was able to get athletes into a Hotel Management degree program. I was at the school toward the end of Pepper's tenure and do not recall of that program. Does anyone recall of this degree offering?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The number of and differences in degree program offerings has been discussed ad nauseum here but then Buck brought up that when Pepper Rogers was here, he was able to get athletes into a Hotel Management degree program. I was at the school toward the end of Pepper's tenure and do not recall of that program. Does anyone recall of this degree offering?

Never heard of it. I recall the only two non-engineering degrees then were Industrial Management and Management Science. There's no "technology" angle to hotel management, so that doesn't make sense to me. But maybe others can chime in.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
Graduated in 2000 BSME. We didn’t have that (thankfully) when I was there. Still have my 1997-1999 & 1999-2001 catalogues and coincidentally was looking through them Sunday night.

Animal02

Banned
Never heard of it. I recall the only two non-engineering degrees then were Industrial Management and Management Science. There's no "technology" angle to hotel management, so that doesn't make sense to me. But maybe others can chime in.
There were/are many non engineering degrees offered at Tech....but they are all science degrees. Architecture, Math, Psychology,Chemistry, and Biology

Animal02

Banned
I don't know when Georgia State was split off from Georgia Tech, but there were probably some good majors for athletes then.
Looks like 1969
http://georgia.stateuniversity.com/
GSU was founded in 1913 as a night school for the Georgia School of Technology. By the 1930s, students from other colleges within the state’s university system were also able to attend night classes at the school. After numerous administrative and name changes over the years, the school became Georgia State University in 1969. It has grown and expanded considerably since the 1970s, becoming one of the most respected universities in the state.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
I know I shouldn't have but I passed by 680 the Dwag around 1:20p on Wednesday, 12/5. John Kincaide openly questioned the difficulty of recruiting student athletes at GT, saying "If Stanford can get great student athletes and be in the Top 25 consistently, why can't GT".

There was a Hotel Management degree in the past, and it did go to Georgia State. It happened way before the 1970's though. I started Tech in 1972, and it was not here then. Buck just missed the date in trying to make his point (go figure!). None of Pepper Rodgers players majored in Hotel Management.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Stanford is a fantastic school, it is also quite possibly the worst comparison to GT.

Being a private school, they can accept anyone they want. They might not exercise this option often, but it's open to them. Also, as others have noted, they have a large and diverse major offering. Look at this link: https://web.stanford.edu/dept/registrar/bulletin0809/5923.htm
Proposals for the IDM should be intellectually coherent majors designed by the students themselves with the assistance of faculty members of their choice.

Can you imagine the Hill every approving such a thing? Would the BOR even schedule a hearing with that type of major proposal.

Most of the majors on their roster seem to be "Science, Tech, and Society", "Communications", "Human Biology", and "Psychology". We should certainly be competing for these players, but at the end, Stanford is a better school, and they will have the edge in that regard.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like 1969
http://georgia.stateuniversity.com/
GSU was founded in 1913 as a night school for the Georgia School of Technology. By the 1930s, students from other colleges within the state’s university system were also able to attend night classes at the school. After numerous administrative and name changes over the years, the school became Georgia State University in 1969. It has grown and expanded considerably since the 1970s, becoming one of the most respected universities in the state.
Before that. My grandfather attended what was then the University(sic) of georgia Atlanta annex in the 50's.

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
Stanford is a fantastic school, it is also quite possibly the worst comparison to GT.

Being a private school, they can accept anyone they want. They might not exercise this option often, but it's open to them. Also, as others have noted, they have a large and diverse major offering. Look at this link: https://web.stanford.edu/dept/registrar/bulletin0809/5923.htm

Can you imagine the Hill every approving such a thing? Would the BOR even schedule a hearing with that type of major proposal.

Most of the majors on their roster seem to be "Science, Tech, and Society", "Communications", "Human Biology", and "Psychology". We should certainly be competing for these players, but at the end, Stanford is a better school, and they will have the edge in that regard.

This. Needs to be said over and over and over again.
So sick of hearing Stanford used as a point of comparison for Tech. Even by dumbass Tech fans.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There was a Hotel Management degree in the past, and it did go to Georgia State. It happened way before the 1970's though. I started Tech in 1972, and it was not here then. Buck just missed the date in trying to make his point (go figure!). None of Pepper Rodgers players majored in Hotel Management.
I started in 1964 left in 1967 to serve in the military and returned in 1971 through 1974 win BEE and MSEE degrees. No such degree existed. That is some sort of BS crap about hotel management. it was Industrial Management and I doubt those wads could have passed that.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s a derogatory term the UGA business school used to have for our management degree (which is rated higher than theirs)

I think something got lost in translation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
"The history of Georgia State University began in 1913 when it was founded as the Georgia Institute of Technology's "Evening School of Commerce.""
"When the reorganization of state government created a Board of Regents to govern the University System of Georgia, the Regents decided that the Georgia Tech Evening School of Commerce should be an independent college in the new System. Independent throughout the Depression and World War II, the Tech School of Commerce in 1947 was incorporated by the Board of Regents into the program of the University of Georgia. At that time the institution became the "Atlanta Division of the University of Georgia.""

I guess we lost the School of commerce in 1947. I thought it carried over into the 50's, but I guess not. Hotel Management could have been an option under the management program, but I don't ever remember it when i was in school, and I was there from 1964-1968 and 1970-1975.

Bob

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Back in the 50s, when Dodd was winning big, with big time recruits, there was always talk that he stuck them in a “Hotel Mgt.” major.

It was oft repeated back in those days and it had nothing to do with ga state college.

I heard it frequently as a kid, but never knew, or cared, if it was true.

Only cared about the times when my Dad was able to get off work and somehow get hold of 2 tickets for us. And cared more that GT won over anything else.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

No, Hotel Management was taken away back during 8 -in a row vs ug. That was when they hung the every degree path has calculus on us.