Wake Forest

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
ACC series #2 with Wake Forest (14-3) coming to Atlanta. At least one D1 guy (can't remember who) is pretty high on Wake Forest. Last weekend, they went 1-2 at home against FSU (a top tier ACC team). Wake began the season 11-0; but have sense gone 3-3.

Both Ga Tech and Wake look similar on the major offensive categories (Runs, BA, Slg%, OBP)

They have better pitching numbers with a sub-3.00 ERA and BA against just a tick above .200.

I'm expecting this to be a very competitive series. Will take the best the Jackets can produce to take 2 of 3.

There are 27 conference games left... none will be easy (even on paper).

Go JACKETS !!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wiley & Kyle on ACCNX all weekend. :buzz:

Expect game Friday to be pushed to Saturday:
1647554187181.png

No game notes yet that I saw so don't know starting pitchers. https://ramblinwreck.com/2022-baseball-game-notes/

If Chandler plays, I think we win 2. If he doesn't, I don't know. More to follow.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
Wake hits about like we do. They are towards the top of the ACC in most offensive categories. They lead the conference in walks. They have a decent staff and some good arms in the bullpen. They have played a pretty easy schedule and dropped the series to FSU and a weekday loss to Coastal Carolina. The Friday starter really dominated FSU, but they got hit pretty hard during the Sunday double header.

I think we have to win the Friday game to have a chance to win the series. They hitting scares me against some of our bullpen issues.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
They haven't been paying attention to the sausage making.... they just think it all tastes so good. 😉
I just fear when EVERYONE thinks that we're going to roll. And if you're talking about everything tasting so good at Tech's stadium, there was not an item on the menu I wanted to eat... I tried to find one, but, no!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, we ran out of luck in the first. Leadoff single, error which should have been one out and probably two followed by HR.

Bad fundamental defense kills. Not having Chandler was massive as the two errors we had were at SS and we didn't get his massive OBP along with disruptive speed. With him, we win IMHO. @FredJacket says that Hall said Chandler won't play this weekend. Hope the face / head injury isn't that bad. We need him a lot more later in the season and have to learn how to win without him.

Bad luck doesn't help. We left 12 on. Wake was lucky to win given their 3 scored errors (all on their SS so wasn't a SS night).

But Wake pitchers were dealing. 11 K on us and only 3 BB and 9 hits over 9.
  • Huff had worst start of year. 4 ER in 4.1. Threw strikes 56/86 = 66% which is ok. Still our best starter though. WHIP = 9/4.3333 = 2.08 so he was just off and the 4 runs were deserved.
  • Cody is getting really good. 3.2 IP, WHHIP = 3/3.66667 = .82. 0 ER and .49 ERA for year. He is getting to starter material. THis type of player is why I am optimistic for later in the season, take out guys who aren't doing good and find the guys who show out. We have the depth to do that this year and for as far as I can see with the recruiting.
  • Dal Smith - 1.0 IP with only one hit. Working into reliever spot with 1.42 ERA for year.
I'll just flush now. Today is going to be an adventure. Who should be warming up in the pen when Maxwell takes the mound?

No predictions on who will win today. I thought we'd be fortunate to win the series if Chandler was out. But what matters is winning today.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
I almost think, if Maxwell or Grissom struggle, you have to give Carwile a shot as a starter next weekend.

We are missing Simpson.

I'm a little concerned we have heard nothing from Kristian Campbell. I figured he might get a shot with the injuries at SS.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, we ran out of luck in the first. Leadoff single, error which should have been one out and probably two followed by HR.

Bad fundamental defense kills. Not having Chandler was massive as the two errors we had were at SS and we didn't get his massive OBP along with disruptive speed. With him, we win IMHO. @FredJacket says that Hall said Chandler won't play this weekend. Hope the face / head injury isn't that bad. We need him a lot more later in the season and have to learn how to win without him.

Bad luck doesn't help. We left 12 on. Wake was lucky to win given their 3 scored errors (all on their SS so wasn't a SS night).

But Wake pitchers were dealing. 11 K on us and only 3 BB and 9 hits over 9.
  • Huff had worst start of year. 4 ER in 4.1. Threw strikes 56/86 = 66% which is ok. Still our best starter though. WHIP = 9/4.3333 = 2.08 so he was just off and the 4 runs were deserved.
  • Cody is getting really good. 3.2 IP, WHHIP = 3/3.66667 = .82. 0 ER and .49 ERA for year. He is getting to starter material. THis type of player is why I am optimistic for later in the season, take out guys who aren't doing good and find the guys who show out. We have the depth to do that this year and for as far as I can see with the recruiting.
  • Dal Smith - 1.0 IP with only one hit. Working into reliever spot with 1.42 ERA for year.
I'll just flush now. Today is going to be an adventure. Who should be warming up in the pen when Maxwell takes the mound?

No predictions on who will win today. I thought we'd be fortunate to win the series if Chandler was out. But what matters is winning today.
Agree. Have to move on & not dwell on it. Weird game. Both teams wanted to give the game away early. Ga Tech just happened to be better at it.

The last half of the game was of a high quality (from both teams). Especially pitching.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Have to move on & not dwell on it. Weird game. Both teams wanted to give the game away early. Ga Tech just happened to be better at it.

The last half of the game was of a high quality (from both teams). Especially pitching.
Well, we weren’t going undefeated in league play, so as everyone has said, flush and move on. Easy for me personally as I didn’t get to listen or watch, and take away a BIG positive that the back half of our bullpen was stalwart, and I don’t believe that anyone will hold down our hitting long term. I try not to think about the (bad) possibilities w Maxwell, and only the massive upside at this point. The important thing in my opinion is that we bounce back quickly and don’t let this bad one extend to two or three games or multiple series. I agree w everyone else th at we greatly miss Simpson. He puts so much pressure on the defense.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Well, that was an ugly, ugly game. We really need the upperclass pitchers to step up and pitch to their talent. Maxwell is also clearly going to have to go to a bullpen role. I don't know who will take his spot, but I would give Bartnicki the first shot. He seems to have pitched better as a starter in his career when he's had the chance imo.