@VT

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of CW...what's up with that situation? As light as we are on talent, kinda curious he doesn't get at least 10-15 minutes a game. The guy had 14 points (2/3 behind the arc) in 13 minutes against Tennessee! Surely the guys ahead of him aren't that good where someone like CW can't get minutes and we can't use his production.

I predict you'll see him against Tusculum.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking of CW...what's up with that situation? As light as we are on talent, kinda curious he doesn't get at least 10-15 minutes a game. The guy had 14 points (2/3 behind the arc) in 13 minutes against Tennessee! Surely the guys ahead of him aren't that good where someone like CW can't get minutes and we can't use his production.

I would ask if he is 'earning' playing time through how he practices. I can support CJP if that is the reason we haven't seen much of him. That said, I do think McCormick should be good for 4-6 minutes to give Q and Lammers a blow each game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would ask if he is 'earning' playing time through how he practices. I can support CJP if that is the reason we haven't seen much of him. That said, I do think McCormick should be good for 4-6 minutes to give Q and Lammers a blow each game.

Yup. Gotta earn it in practice. Team needs him, so he best get it in gear...in practice!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Someone mentioned Moore hitting the wall. I think Ben is too. It could just be a matter of going up against a 300# dude who is leaning on you and then going against a really athletic front court right after but he's slowing down (though not on help side defense BOOM) Really hoping Reveno is working Sly hard and he can give us 5-8 quality minutes in the 2nd half of the ACC slate

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Foolish play by Tadric trying to hit Lammers at the rim, but his teammates weren't really helping him. I don't mind Q taking the shot at the end there, it was mighty close to a game-winner. Proud of the fight in this team to keep it close on the road. They took everything VT had and kept coming. I love to watch Okogie and Lammers play, and Heath, Tadric, and Q have been playing well too. Keep it up, guys, and keep your head up. We'll get the next one.
I think he could have gotten it to Q, but when all else fails, you are taught to throw it up to your big man.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the play of the game that lost us the game was when Tadric missed a fast break layup. He never got back because he was on the ground, and they scored on the other end. We could have cut it to 1 at that point...instead the lead went up to 5.
Granted, Tadric should have made the layup, but there were a lot of plays that lost us the game. VT got to a lot of loose balls, Q missed the front-end of a 1 and 1 and also got stripped in the corner that resulted in 2 points on the other end, Justin missed 3 free throws in a row including the extra he got because of a lane violation. If you want to play the blame game, there's plenty to go around outside of Tadric's missed layup.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
If it was last years team, the final shot would have been MGH and he would have made it. It's depressing to think what CJP could have done with last year's roster. Even just an Adam Smith to keep opposing defenses from crowding the paint on this team would make a huge difference. Using this team for reference talent-wise, last years team should have been a tourney team.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If it was last years team, the final shot would have been MGH and he would have made it. It's depressing to think what CJP could have done with last year's roster. Even just an Adam Smith to keep opposing defenses from crowding the paint on this team would make a huge difference. Using this team for reference talent-wise, last years team should have been a tourney team.

Eh. If it was 25 years ago it would have been D3 and we would be up 25.

Btw, last 3 games we are shooting 47.6% from 3 making about 6.6 a game. The problem is we have mental lapses. Entry passes, break away layups, FT, your senior stepping on the sideline, JMo missing a wide open layup after a beautiful pass.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Granted, Tadric should have made the layup, but there were a lot of plays that lost us the game. VT got to a lot of loose balls, Q missed the front-end of a 1 and 1 and also got stripped in the corner that resulted in 2 points on the other end, Justin missed 3 free throws in a row including the extra he got because of a lane violation. If you want to play the blame game, there's plenty to go around outside of Tadric's missed layup.
My thoughts exactly but too lazy to write out. This loss was a step forward not backward. With this coach and team the learning experience of this game will win games going forward. Lack of depth lost this game.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
I was there in Blacksburg last night (perfectly timed business trip to Roanoke), and need to thank the VT usher who kept shooing away the VT Students that tried to sneak down behind the GT bench but was kind enough to let me come down and sit right behind the GT bench with about 10 other Jacket fans (gold GT shirt probably told her who I was pulling for).

First - the effort of the kids was incredible. You could see that up close and hear it when they were in huddle for time outs.
A couple free throws or bounce and we win - I thought we outplayed VT for most of the game ... so did several VT fans I spoke with on way out.
-- I know we've been shooting them well .... just got the wrong people on the line last night,

Chemistry of the team from what I saw early (Shorter ...) is so much improved/better.
The depth is not there (recruits can't get here fast enough), but they do have a system that fits the players and have bought into it.
--- The movement has purpose (something we did not say often under CBG).
Fair to say CJP is getting more out of the talent than any of us thought, and except for the Duke game tremendous effort in every ACC game.

I can confirm CJP does not cuss - but he certainly can get his point across when they make mistakes ... I won't say who he got after, but I thought same thing more than once before he called someone over and he 'let him know'.

It was interesting hearing the assistants and what they told CJP - each has a role during the game .... Eric Reveno really impressed me ... made a lot of observations on matchups and what VT was doing during the game, suggesting counters on both ends - CJP listened and several times got players attention to adjust. For example, one time he noticed who was guarding Tardic and they ran sets to try to post him up several times (worked when they got it to him), and talked several times about how the off-side 3 was open when VT trapped in the corner - Q hit one or two three's off that cross court reversal with Lammers screening his man.

Second time I have been to a game at VT - it gets really LOUD in there, especially the students which are right on top of the basket GT shoots at in second half.
The place is old and large, but fun when there are a lot of people there (75-80 percent full last night).

Two comments/observations from some VT fans I talked to on the way out
- They really like Lammers - wish they had center that could alter shots and be force
- They liked how GT kept taking it to the basket instead of settling for jumpers (now we need to make more of those layups ...)

slugboy

Staff member
Others have said more than I could but
  • I'm not a fan of moral victories, but there is a silver lining in how we're playing
  • losing by 1 point on the road to a good team isn't the end of the world
  • we gave up a run by VT at the end of the first half. I think we were up by about 8, and we ended up by 1. If we'd just been able to close the first half with a bigger lead...
  • is there room for improvement this year?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was mad we didn't get the call when Lammers was undercut on the out of bounds play.
Other than that there wasn't a lot to get mad about last night. They played hard, played smart and just came up short.
I was surprised we were able to stay in the zone as much as we did last night. While we are talking about missed layups, FTs, etc, VT is trying to figure out how their shooters couldn't shred a 1-3-1 zone with holes in the corners.

As has been stated, we are playing with house money. I am just enjoying the ride.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see game but saw stats.ONE stood out--we shot 60% for game.(only Okogie maxed at 6-6 ),the rest bumbled. FREE throws-you can't shot 60% and win close games.Unless we get a bench ,it may stay low.maybe just too tired.
Still a GREAT effort.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't see game but saw stats.ONE stood out--we shot 60% for game.(only Okogie maxed at 6-6 ),the rest bumbled. FREE throws-you can't shot 60% and win close games.Unless we get a bench ,it may stay low.maybe just too tired.
Still a GREAT effort.

For comparison purposes, we shot over 80% for FTs in the NCST game.