VT Game Week Media

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Wow. They asked great questions about vpi's D identity and GT's lack of identity, and CPJ really muffed his response imo. Really strange for a coach who has such a recognizable offensive identity and scheme and who seems to know what other D's do against him that he can't talk more about defensive philosophy with respect to what Bud's trying to do versus what we're trying to do.

I mean I get what he's saying that all schemes can work and that it comes down to execution and players, but some schemes and coaches are better than others. I don't know why he doesn't talk about that with respect to defense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Wow. They asked great questions about vpi's D identity and GT's lack of identity, and CPJ really muffed his response imo. Really strange for a coach who has such a recognizable offensive identity and scheme and who seems to know what other D's do against him that he can't talk more about defensive philosophy with respect to what Bud's trying to do versus what we're trying to do.

I mean I get what he's saying that all schemes can work and that it comes down to execution and players, but some schemes and coaches are better than others. I don't know why he doesn't talk about that with respect to defense.
Maybe he has to bite his tongue every time he gets asked about defense for fear of throwing Roof and/or the players under the bus. Maybe in his head he's saying "I have no idea what we are trying to do on defense..." That would sure go over well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Maybe he has to bite his tongue every time he gets asked about defense for fear of throwing Roof and/or the players under the bus. Maybe in his head he's saying "I have no idea what we are trying to do on defense..." That would sure go over well.

Well, he did go into more about his confidence in his defensive coaches later. He said that he treats them the way he'd want to be treated as a coordinator. He gave the example of if a head coach hired him as an OC but then said to him, "But I want you to use two tight ends etc." So, he gives input etc but let's them do their jobs and doesn't micromanage.

He also said that it's not a situation where kids don't know what they're supposed to do or who they're supposed to cover or that coaches can't answer the question of who's got that guy or whatever.

In other words, he seemed fine talking around the issue of coaching etc, but just seemed to punt on the question of philosophy or scheme. Just struck me as weird.