VT Game Thread

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On the plus side, Tadric had one of his best games of his young career last night. Reminds us that he may actually be a real contributor next year.
Last night, I think we saw what Tadric should really be focusing on, which is a get in the lane, drive to the basket scorer. He looked really good doingso last night and, quite frankly, it's something we need.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I think I am like a majority of Tech fans regarding our basketball program.

We really like the personality of Gregory. I like how he speaks, I like how he runs the program. I don't think he is a fit to be a GREAT coach in the ACC. That pains me to say that, but I can't see a situation where Gregory is retained after this year.

We still have UNC twice and LOU on our schedule with 6 games left...we have clemson for 2, and we are historically bad against that team.

FSU is on deck... I think a realistic expectation would be to go 1-5, maybe a case for 0-6 could be made. at 11-13 that would put our record at 12-18 or even 11-19, and its year 4.

Its hard to made a rational case why Gregory should stay

If CBG was recruiting some highly talented player then I could deal with all of these tough loses. Showing us no hope to future is what has cost him his job. On the flip side, I am very anxious to see who our (basketball minded AD) hires. He has a decent track record of hiring some good coaches. It will probably be 2017 before Tech basketball has a chance to be good again.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I think I am like a majority of Tech fans regarding our basketball program.

We really like the personality of Gregory. I like how he speaks, I like how he runs the program. I don't think he is a fit to be a GREAT coach in the ACC. That pains me to say that, but I can't see a situation where Gregory is retained after this year.

We still have UNC twice and LOU on our schedule with 6 games left...we have clemson for 2, and we are historically bad against that team.

FSU is on deck... I think a realistic expectation would be to go 1-5, maybe a case for 0-6 could be made. at 11-13 that would put our record at 12-18 or even 11-19, and its year 4.

Its hard to made a rational case why Gregory should stay
I wanna go 0 for however many gamez we have left. Hearing Bobinski say he sees improvements after watching this season... I don't want to leave ANY doubts in his mind that Gregory can't hack it

LibertyTurns

Banned
I wanna go 0 for however many gamez we have left. Hearing Bobinski say he sees improvements after watching this season... I don't want to leave ANY doubts in his mind that Gregory can't hack it
Hey man, it's one thing to not like our coach (I'm in that category) but it's quite another to root for your Team to lose. Bobinski is not likely to replace CBG and he has his reasons. We can not like it all we want, but having GT basketball wallowing in misery is not a good thing for the institute. I want a successful program and it's obvious that Bobinski's path to getting there is not the one I would take. Hope he's right and I'm wrong. He's in charge and I'm not. He has my unsolicited opinion, he has received other solicited and unsolicited feedback from multiple sources and ultimately he charts the course we will take based on that and his own gut feelings. The kids are just there trying to do the best they can, atleast I believe they are. Personally, I hate that they're not being developed properly on the court (and I feel sorry for them) but he thinks CBG is doing a good job both on and off the court. I think the kids are being let down. Time will tell who's right and who's wrong.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Hey man, it's one thing to not like our coach (I'm in that category) but it's quite another to root for your Team to lose. Bobinski is not likely to replace CBG and he has his reasons. We can not like it all we want, but having GT basketball wallowing in misery is not a good thing for the institute. I want a successful program and it's obvious that Bobinski's path to getting there is not the one I would take. Hope he's right and I'm wrong. He's in charge and I'm not. He has my unsolicited opinion, he has received other solicited and unsolicited feedback from multiple sources and ultimately he charts the course we will take based on that and his own gut feelings. The kids are just there trying to do the best they can, atleast I believe they are. Personally, I hate that they're not being developed properly on the court (and I feel sorry for them) but he thinks CBG is doing a good job both on and off the court. I think the kids are being let down. Time will tell who's right and who's wrong.
I don't root against my Jackets. I'm just saying if he thinks this season and the past 4 have been even close to successful... he needs a reality check. Big time. Winning between 2-6 games in the ACC and losing to VT, Clemson, and Wake time and time again has got to end. When fans go into a game knowing were gonna lose... somethings not right

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
ug[sic]a has been to the NCAA tournament more recently than we have. In a 10 year span, 2004-2014, we have been 4 times (2004, 2005, 2007, and 2010). Georgia went in 2008 and 2011. That's just embarrassing.

Add that to the number of games that we have lost by 2 possessions, 6 points or less, (Marquette, South Carolina Upstate, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Boston College, NC State, Duke, and VT). That's 9 games. Makes us 20-4 and most likely NCAA tourney bound.

Something has to change.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
ug[sic]a has been to the NCAA tournament more recently than we have. In a 10 year span, 2004-2014, we have been 4 times (2004, 2005, 2007, and 2010). Georgia went in 2008 and 2011. That's just embarrassing.

Add that to the number of games that we have lost by 2 possessions, 6 points or less, (Marquette, South Carolina Upstate, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Boston College, NC State, Duke, and VT). That's 9 games. Makes us 20-4 and most likely NCAA tourney bound.

Something has to change.
Our starting 5 is decent. Our depth is horrendous. We have too many dribblers and not enough people who are willing to shoot the ball. Who's gonna take the bull by the horns next season?? MGH and Bolden are gone. Not sure who else runs out of eligibility this year but we are in deep trouble next year unless we bring in a new coach. I can live with losing games if some improvement on the floor or in recruiting is showing. But since Gregory got here... The only thing that has improved is inbounding the ball.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Our starting 5 is decent. Our depth is horrendous. We have too many dribblers and not enough people who are willing to shoot the ball. Who's gonna take the bull by the horns next season?? MGH and Bolden are gone. Not sure who else runs out of eligibility this year but we are in deep trouble next year unless we bring in a new coach. I can live with losing games if some improvement on the floor or in recruiting is showing. But since Gregory got here... The only thing that has improved is inbounding the ball.

MGH and Bolden both return next year. We lose Sampson and Cox, but return everyone else and we get Nick Jacobs

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
None of our bigs are really natural scorers. Cox avg 4 ppg last season. Both Cox and Mitchell on the whole have been pleasant surprises for me with their production, but it is obvious neither is a naturally gifted scorer.
I will say that Jacobs is different. He is a natural scorer. Get him the ball on the block on he is going to score more times than not.
Jacobs looks good on the bench. Looks like he might have lost just a little weight since leaving AL. I'd say he is about an inch taller and 25 lbs lighter than Chucky.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don't root against my Jackets. I'm just saying if he thinks this season and the past 4 have been even close to successful... he needs a reality check. Big time. Winning between 2-6 games in the ACC and losing to VT, Clemson, and Wake time and time again has got to end. When fans go into a game knowing were gonna lose... somethings not right

I know I just posted a very optimistic view of our situation, but let's be honest...Gregory will most likely be relieved after this year. I understand that Bobinski said he's seen improvements, but what's he supposed to say mid-season when someone asks him if he will retain Gregory? Did you think the guy would say: "We are just not playing up to the level we expect, and unless something changes we will be looking for a new basketball coach come March."

He's just not going to say that. There's nothing to gain from giving the indication that you will replace the coach mid-season unless you're going to fire him right away...and there's no reason to do that unless you have a target who you want to hire. The team would literally lay down and the close games would turn into blowouts. I know it's tough to watch, but we're still in just about every game until the end. I'm ready for a change, but I'm not ever going to give less than 100% of my dedication to Georgia Tech. We're not very good, but I will still sit in front of my TV with a bottle of Macallan hoping for a miracle when we play Louisville, and I'll be there in person on 3/3 when we face UNC for the second time hoping for another.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
MGH and Bolden both return next year. We lose Sampson and Cox, but return everyone else and we get Nick Jacobs

Yeah, we're keeping just about everyone next year. A different coach might be able to turn this team around pretty quickly. There's definitely some talent to work with. Bolden needs to get his legs back into his threes, and Georges-Hunt just needs someone else to help attack the basket when we can't shoot. I'm hopeful that Jorgenson will start getting to the line more often when the offense is not as productive. The great teams always get to the line when they're having a tough time scoring.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe a better coach will produce a lot more wins in the ACC with the same talent. I just hope we have enough money to pay off CBG as well as a new coach

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just out of curiosity, why doesn't Jorgensen dribble penetrate more often? Is it that he doesn't have that skill set? Or that the coaches don't want him doing it?

I see how often successful dribble penetration destroys our defence when the other team does it to us, and wonder why we don't do more of it. I remember Jarrett Jack and he was money at end-of-hame situations with his dribble penetration....either ho got to the bucket for a layup or he got foul shots (admittedly, he had to get strong enough to score those layups because he was always getting clubbed when he did this). But Jorgensen seems to stay on the perimeter and dribble around, mostly. Is this design or what?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just out of curiosity, why doesn't Jorgensen dribble penetrate more often? Is it that he doesn't have that skill set? Or that the coaches don't want him doing it?

I see how often successful dribble penetration destroys our defence when the other team does it to us, and wonder why we don't do more of it. I remember Jarrett Jack and he was money at end-of-hame situations with his dribble penetration....either ho got to the bucket for a layup or he got foul shots (admittedly, he had to get strong enough to score those layups because he was always getting clubbed when he did this). But Jorgensen seems to stay on the perimeter and dribble around, mostly. Is this design or what?

I think he's been doing this more & more and taking the shot when doing it more & more. I think it's a function of his knee recovering. He's been increasingly more aggressive & active the past 5 games.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Early in the season it had to do with both fatigue and the fact that we couldn't hit water after falling from a boat. Defenses would just pack the lane. The better you shoot the more you can stretch the floor and open things up for dribble drive.