VT Game Thread

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
wow...this team continues to find ways to lose. So sad...there is talent there. We had a 10-POINT LEAD with 5 minutes to go...and then everybody got scared to mess it up, which led to them messing it up, of course.

If I am frustrated, I know they are too. They are not quitting, and they play well in spurts, but the end of games makes me want to cringe and look away. Oh well, on to the next one. I'll keep rooting for them, and despite my brain telling me I shouldn't, I'll keep watching. :)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All you can do is laugh at this point.

If it's a close game we're losing.

Bolden leaving his man WIDE open for the 3...just wow.
To be fair, Heath blew the perimeter defense to give up the lead. WTF?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Between Hewitt and Gregory, we as fans have been subjected to more empty last second shot opportunities to last a lifetime. Failed to even hit the rim on two of our last three possessions. Even though I am getting immune to losing, this team keeps finding ways to make sure it hurts.

I do feel bad for the players. A new direction could do everyone a world of good.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
205 more days until football season!!! I use to love college basketball but I've lost all interest in the last 5 years because we have become irrelevant. It's sad that I'll watch the ncaa tournament here and there again this year. It feels like 2004 never happened...

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
For those who missed the game, the only positive is that Chris will probably make SC Top 10 again

Gregory's game management in the last 5 minutes continues to be baffling. Why would we wait until 15 secs left on the shot clock to run our offense so that we can end up getting a shot clock violation? And we really can't run an actual play out of a timeout? What's the point of calling a timeout if we're going to do the MGH iso every time?

I've gone from thinking an offensive coordinator would help to realizing what we really need is an end of game coordinator.

I feel really bad for CBG and especially for the players, as we all do, but it's unreal how we have no clue what to do at the end of a game

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Players have to make the plays... But Gregory sure doesn't put them in a good spot to do that. It's like when we score, its complete an utter luck. Thank God the Atlanta Hawks are SO good this year. I'd hate to have no good basketball to watch for an entire season. Can we get a Coach Bud desciple to come and coach our Jackets??

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, it is entirely believable that we blew this one.
Big time blew it. 10 point lead with like 5 minutes left. Could buy a bucket and let them get easy buckets. Awful timeouts and just all around embarrassing effort down the stretch. I hate it for these players. Nobody's skill sets are being utilize properly. MGH is no better today than he was his freshmen year. Bolden isn't either..

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Another case of ACC refs swallowing their whistles at the end of the game. MGH was fouled, the replay showed 3 hands on his arm and another blocking the shot. Should have been 2 shots to seal the same, instead we give up a 3 to lose it. I watch every game on DVR because I don't want to torture myself for too long, but then I hit the rewind.

Also the announcers in Bristol? Give me a break, if they don't want to send people out use the school announcers. I don't need to watch the game with essentially the announcer on the couch next to me

For CBG, I don't understand how every play out of a timeout ends in a turnover... it never fails. I'd rather Tadric fly all over the court than run a CBG play with a few seconds left.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I didn't want to jinx the team, but I almost posted before the game yesterday we will win by 20 or lose by 2.

Have to come up with a different play at the end of games, everyone knows MGH is going to get the ball at the top of the key and drive hard. Refs don't want to call foul.
If you are going to do that he needs to become a kickout for a short shot to someone else. He usually has 3 guys on him.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My comments are not meant to take any heat off of BG because ultimately he is the one responsible for our performance, but I'm frustrated with this squad as a whole. Putting aside for a moment the issues with our coaching situation, I want to see our guys start making some plays in these types of games/situations. By now, we should know what to expect and the level of focus it requires to come out with the W. The play drawn up at the end by BG was certainly a dud, but we shouldn't have even been in that situation.

We played very good defense for large parts of the game, but then completely fell off the cliff in crunch time. We weren't even slowing them down going to the basket, and many of the missed helped assignments were basic defense. To me, that is as much a loss of focus as it is a lack of coaching. On the offensive end, we leave so many points on the table. As I have said before, I've never seen a team miss so many makeable shots. Demarco had 5 attempts last night, making one of them. Most where from point blank range, and he missed the basket entirely on a couple of them.

Like everyone else here, I'm about as frustrated as can be with the current status of our program. Hopefully this doesn't come across as me blaming the players because I'm not. Without a doubt, they are giving max effort and have hung in there despite all the adversity, but it is time for our guys to get over the hump and make the plays that need to be made. Sometimes, that takes something that cannot be taught or coached.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From another board, here' a comment I just made that I think plays in to the whole situation.

"I like our kids and think we've got some really good talent, but a problem we may have is that we have no Type A personalities on the squad, which is ironic, given the sometimes cutthroat nature of the school in terms of competition for grades, internships, job offers.
Never really thought about it that way. I think there's one that may develop, but don't think BG will be here for that."

I think if we had a couple of Type A personalities, they'd have willed the team to keep their foot on the gas. I think Chuck plays like that with an infectious personality and I think Travis could develop in to that kind of leader. It's fine if not everyone is Type A, but I think it's time we had a couple to push their teammates over the hump.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
My comments are not meant to take any heat off of BG because ultimately he is the one responsible for our performance, but I'm frustrated with this squad as a whole. Putting aside for a moment the issues with our coaching situation, I want to see our guys start making some plays in these types of games/situations. By now, we should know what to expect and the level of focus it requires to come out with the W. The play drawn up at the end by BG was certainly a dud, but we shouldn't have even been in that situation.

We played very good defense for large parts of the game, but then completely fell off the cliff in crunch time. We weren't even slowing them down going to the basket, and many of the missed helped assignments were basic defense. To me, that is as much a loss of focus as it is a lack of coaching. On the offensive end, we leave so many points on the table. As I have said before, I've never seen a team miss so many makeable shots. Demarco had 5 attempts last night, making one of them. Most where from point blank range, and he missed the basket entirely on a couple of them.

Like everyone else here, I'm about as frustrated as can be with the current status of our program. Hopefully this doesn't come across as me blaming the players because I'm not. Without a doubt, they are giving max effort and have hung in there despite all the adversity, but it is time for our guys to get over the hump and make the plays that need to be made. Sometimes, that takes something that cannot be taught or coached.
I think you probably feel the same about the team as CBG feels. I'm sure it's a waste of valuable practice time to teach players how to bank in 3 foot shots. Demarco is at least 50 lbs heavier than anyone guarding him, he needs to finish strong. I'd rather him get an offensive foul or 2 dunking on someone just to assert dominance early in the game, JMO.

Basically our team can range from just a notch worse than Duke, to just a notch worse than Wake. Unfortunately consistency is on the Coach, I'm just tired of "rebuilding."

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
On the plus side, Tadric had one of his best games of his young career last night. Reminds us that he may actually be a real contributor next year.