VT experiences a glitch in the Matrix

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I just said "wow" when the play was over with.

JT is who I thought he was (Lovie Smith voice)

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Shaq had a good block on that play, Braun not so much. Good thing JT is a playmaker.....
Can someone explain to me why Braun even attempts to cut block that guy? Why doesn't he square up and just knock the guy on his a$$? He has the size, the angle and the position on him.

I see our guys do this all the time. I know they are coached to do it, but why?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You know, I was thinking JT had to be tired from all the running. Looking at the play, I realized that the VT players had to be getting tired too. I loved #36 sliding onto his butt.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Can someone explain to me why Braun even attempts to cut block that guy? Why doesn't he square up and just knock the guy on his a$$? He has the size, the angle and the position on him.

I see our guys do this all the time. I know they are coached to do it, but why?

The guard's job here is to pull and then "log" - get to the defender's outside and seal him, so that JT can go outside. That's typically very hard to do, just because he's coming around. Cutting is typically an easier way of ensuring JT has the split second he needs, rather than trying to stay upright, get outside position, and push down.

I don't think it was a terrible job by Braun. It gave JT time to get past the LOS (with the slight duck) so it was a decently effective block. You'd obviously prefer the defender to go to the ground though.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In all honesty, #36 overran the play or he would have had JT dead to rights. He was so concerned with getting beat to the edge again, that's all he wanted to do - get to the edge. That's what blazing speed at the qb position gives us.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In all honesty, #36 overran the play or he would have had JT dead to rights. He was so concerned with getting beat to the edge again, that's all he wanted to do - get to the edge. That's what blazing speed at the qb position gives us.
That might have been the only tackle he missed all day.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watching that video again just reminds me how well JT accelerates out of his cuts. He makes other people's feet just look clumsy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
JeT has what Mike Vick has...that rare ability to out run a defender's pursuit angle. LOVE seeing defenders flail when they realize they are not going to catch up to him.

Nice to have a guy like that on our side for once.