VT Blog's Take on the GT Game

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Wow, thanks for the link! This is a great breakdown analysis of several key plays.

I'm not much of a video editing expert... so if someone knows (maybe @Longestday):
1) how to direct capture (not screen capture) what I imagine is the streamed replay of the game on ESPN3 and then...
2) edit it to slow it down like that
3) and best tools to use for the above

Would love to be able to put together posts like that on the site.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
Neither team is very good. VT probably should have won the game but their OC is an idiot. I love that finally caught some breaks and got that monkey off our backs, scoreboard matters a ton. But we didn't take those turnovers as much as Brewer had some WTF moments at terrible times. We have obvious upside, but every game could be a shootout. Now that the emotion has subsided, a clear head tells me need to improve quickly, and by a lot.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, thanks for the link! This is a great breakdown analysis of several key plays.

I'm not much of a video editing expert... so if someone knows (maybe @Longestday):
1) how to direct capture (not screen capture) what I imagine is the streamed replay of the game on ESPN3 and then...

As someone who has tried this in the past, I don't think you can easily download the ESPN3 stream (being that they use Silverlight for transmission and not Flash. If it were in Flash, you could use StreamTransport to download it). This guy is likely downloading the game from TenYardTorrents.com (as I have been doing) and then is using any video editor to chop out scenes and slow them down (pretty standard stuff, Quicktime Pro can even do it, but he may be using something like Final Cut Pro or whatever Adobe's offering is called).

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
As someone who has tried this in the past, I don't think you can easily download the ESPN3 stream (being that they use Silverlight for transmission and not Flash. If it were in Flash, you could use StreamTransport to download it). This guy is likely downloading the game from TenYardTorrents.com (as I have been doing) and then is using any video editor to chop out scenes and slow them down (pretty standard stuff, Quicktime Pro can even do it, but he may be using something like Final Cut Pro or whatever Adobe's offering is called).
Ah! Thanks, that makes sense. Was thinking that the quality of the video looked way too good for it to have been sourced from ESPN3.

Though now that I think about it, I'm sure we'd need to get some kind of licensing agreement with ESPN to use their footages legitimately.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are ways to stream record from the TV to computer. Eye TV can do it and I thought about buying one. But, I decided to buy season tickets and plane tickets to the games instead. I'll be going some.screen record overview of each series. I must warn you, I am mono tone and not very exciting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Their fans sound a lot like some of our fans when we talk about certain teams (Duke...ahem). It comes from them owning us during CPJ's tenure. Maybe we should win more and the rest will fall in place.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice breakdowns. I always like seeing another fan's perspective.

Also, the video edit is top notch. I like the slow mo.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

I put all my videos up by recording them on my DVR then pulling them off onto my PC using the firewire connector on the DVR. Editing was done in AfterEffects. I don't have a DVR anymore because I just can't afford it - $200/mo for cable + DVR + internet is just way too much. I think, however, the newer comcast DVR's (the black motorola ones) have a dead firewire port, so not sure if this is possible anymore with those boxes.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Their fans sound a lot like some of our fans when we talk about certain teams (Duke...ahem). It comes from them owning us during CPJ's tenure. Maybe we should win more and the rest will fall in place.

C'mon man. From 2008 to 2013, the average point differential of GT-VPI was -4 and of GT-Duke was +19. The highest margin of victory for VPI was 11, us over Duke was 39. The closest Duke came vs us was 7 in 2011.

I'm not saying that Duke isn't better this year or that we should just look past Duke, but suggesting that any kind of comparable situation is crazy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
C'mon man. From 2008 to 2013, the average point differential of GT-VPI was -4 and of GT-Duke was +19. The highest margin of victory for VPI was 11, us over Duke was 39. The closest Duke came vs us was 7 in 2011.

I'm not saying that Duke isn't better this year or that we should just look past Duke, but suggesting that any kind of comparable situation is crazy.

Duke also won 10 games and represented the Coastal division in the ACCCG last season. They're also a 4-0 this season and ranked. I'm going with more recent history...and more recent history shows that Duke isn't as bad as GT fans want to make them out to be. If anything is crazy, GT fans crapping on Duke is crazy.

Last year means nothing to this year...and certainly anything past that means even less. Otherwise, we should have folded the tents Saturday with CPJ's 1-5 (with a 4 game losing streak) record versus VT up until then.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Neither team is very good. VT probably should have won the game but their OC is an idiot. I love that finally caught some breaks and got that monkey off our backs, scoreboard matters a ton. But we didn't take those turnovers as much as Brewer had some WTF moments at terrible times. We have obvious upside, but every game could be a shootout. Now that the emotion has subsided, a clear head tells me need to improve quickly, and by a lot.

No bigger break than their QB scooping up a fumble we forced and were jumping on top of when Milton get hit and could not corral it.
I'd like to think we forced our breaks - Davis' pick because of the pressure and recognizing the middle screen, the defense called on their last play with D.J. White making a great play on the ball and Milton blowing right through their protection to block the field goal. We should have blocked two kicks but somehow Demond Smith was TOO fast and ran right past the kicker.

Animal02

Banned
Duke also won 10 games and represented the Coastal division in the ACCCG last season. They're also a 4-0 this season and ranked. I'm going with more recent history...and more recent history shows that Duke isn't as bad as GT fans want to make them out to be. If anything is crazy, GT fans crapping on Duke is crazy.

Last year means nothing to this year...and certainly anything past that means even less. Otherwise, we should have folded the tents Saturday with CPJ's 1-5 (with a 4 game losing streak) record versus VT up until then.

If we played the Conference schedule / order that Duke did last year, we would have represented the Coastal....the stars aligned last year for Duke playing teams when they did.....(injuries etc.) Not that Tech didn't take care of business....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If we played the Conference schedule / order that Duke did last year, we would have represented the Coastal....the stars aligned last year for Duke playing teams when they did.....(injuries etc.) Not that Tech didn't take care of business....

You gotta play them as they come in. Sometimes you luck out in scheduling (injuries, down year for a team, suspensions, etc), sometimes you don't. Remember, we played Duke with their starting QB out...so...

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
That sounds unlikely and expensive... Owned by Disney. :greedy:
Yup, have to do some research to see if it would be protected under the fair use doctrine. Don't think so but I can only hope.
I put all my videos up by recording them on my DVR then pulling them off onto my PC using the firewire connector on the DVR. Editing was done in AfterEffects. I don't have a DVR anymore because I just can't afford it - $200/mo for cable + DVR + internet is just way too much. I think, however, the newer comcast DVR's (the black motorola ones) have a dead firewire port, so not sure if this is possible anymore with those boxes.
Haha, I hear ya. Not sure if I actually need TV service when football season is over.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I was checking my emails after the game. I stay off technology during games. I had a Facebook alert from a buddy that's a VT fan. It said "you watching your jackets choke? ;)" I clicked the See Comment button and it was gone. Had changed to a silly comment about Snoddy and former USCe kicker Smelley.

I replied "my email says I was tagged in a comment but I can't find it now. Cough cough ;)"

It was an interesting conversation when I sat next to him at church later that night. I cut him some slack.

thwgjacket

I like the one guy a ways down the comment board who starts to say all the guys he likes on our team then catches himself after he's named about half the team and says oh no they will lose a lot of games lol.