Vote: Should Georgia Tech Continue the "Option"?

Should Georgia Tech hire a coach will continue to run the option (or some form of it)?

• Yes

Votes: 203 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 100 33.0%

• Total voters

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not about getting them in the ATL; it's about getting them in the GT.

I suspect that many in the football forum may not follow GT basketball. In basketball, we play in the undisputed best conference. That's the opposite of our situation against SEC schools in football. Great players only have to stay 1 year if they can make it to the league. With Coach Hewitt, we were able to bring in some talent regularly, but with the rising significance of APR, we were in real trouble.

When we looked to move on, we couldn't get anyone to take the job until Coach Brian Gregory agreed. While DRad said money wasn't a deciding factor, most assumed it was (but, now, who knows?). While CBG signed a decent first class, only 1 of the first big 3 stayed the course. After that, recruiting went down hill. So, we decided to move on again.

Again, we couldn't find anybody until we settled for Coach Josh Pastner, whom Memphis paid us to take. He was able to organize and inspire the team largely left by CBG and make a run through the NIT (until we met a team who should've been in the NCAA). CJP had a reputation as a great recruiter. However, even with that first year success, he's brought in some solid guys, but only one top 100 player, and we've whiffed on big targets so far this year.

In other words, in Basketball where we have fewer hurdles and more advantages in recruiting than in Football, we've still had trouble bringing in top talent.

So, you are right that I'll be surprised if we start bringing in top talent.
Agree 110%. Primary qualifications is someone that can “Coach up” our recruits and out “X and O” the competing coach at least 60+% of the time. Kind of like what CPJ did. We will never out recruit the factories. Hell even some of the factories can’t coach up their 4 stars.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The poll results do seem to indicate that those who blame fan decline solely (or mostly) on the offense are probably incorrect. Not only do 2/3rds of the posters on this board not seem to mind the option, 2/3rds actually want us to continue to run some form of it after CPJ.

Always a good reminder that those who complain the loudest do not always represent the majority.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The poll results do seem to indicate that those who blame fan decline solely (or mostly) on the offense are probably incorrect. Not only do 2/3rds of the posters on this board not seem to mind the option, 2/3rds actually want us to continue to run some form of it after CPJ.

Always a good reminder that those who complain the loudest do not always represent the majority.
Or you could look at it as most fans that don’t like the option lowered their interest level in GT Football and don’t check message boards, not saying this is the case but you can’t necessarily rule it out.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Or you could look at it as most fans that don’t like the option lowered their interest level in GT Football and don’t check message boards, not saying this is the case but you can’t necessarily rule it out.

I also can't rule out that fans that don't like the option may just all be Mormons that are out on their missionary trips and thus away from the internet. :p

Seriously though, for anyone who has lost interest in the program or stopped checking the message board solely because of CPJ, I imagine this is their Christmas. I am sure they are all back in bigger numbers than ever.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

Those aren’t GT fans. I’d watch every game if our offense philosophy was to punt on first down and every actual GT fan I know would do the same. If someone’s interest in a program is based on what they run or who’s coaching/playing, they are a fan of that offense, coach or player, not the program.

This is not to say that fans can’t complain. I’d be pissed as hell if we punted on first down every time, but I’d be pissed as I sat my *** in Bobby Dodd Stadium every Saturday. There are plenty of GT fans who don’t like the option. There are no GT fans who lose interest in GT because they don’t like the option.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I know ,most all teams probably run some form of the option, but if we stay with strictly 100% option with some games not completing a pass then you can expect recruiting not to change and 7,8 wins a year to be the ceiling. Sounds great

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Those aren’t GT fans. I’d watch every game if our offense philosophy was to punt on first down and every actual GT fan I know would do the same. If someone’s interest in a program is based on what they run or who’s coaching/playing, they are a fan of that offense, coach or player, not the program.

This is not to say that fans can’t complain. I’d be pissed as hell if we punted on first down every time, but I’d be pissed as I sat my *** in Bobby Dodd Stadium every Saturday. There are plenty of GT fans who don’t like the option. There are no GT fans who lose interest in GT because they don’t like the option.
a lot of people just like Paul Johnson and not GT for some asinine reason.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
When I posted the poll I meant.... TRIPLE OPTION. That could be the New Mexico/GASO variety, the Air Force/Nebraska variety, or the Army/CPJ/Navy variety. But I meant TRIPLE OPTION.

Not RPO, not zone read, etc.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Needs a "I don't care, just score efficiently however you do it" option.

I'm not wedded to any particular scheme, as long as it works.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
When I posted the poll I meant.... TRIPLE OPTION. That could be the New Mexico/GASO variety, the Air Force/Nebraska variety, or the Army/CPJ/Navy variety. But I meant TRIPLE OPTION.

Clemson runs a lot of triple option. I don't understand what the issue is.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we should transition from the current offense to one that features at least 30% passing. I think the fact we line up under the center and can run the ball inside the 1o yard line gives us a big advantage over most teams. A lot of them just can not run the ball in the red zone and continue to put their QB in the shotgun and give up 5 yards before the ball is even snapped. I think being able to run the ball gives you a tougher identity than these teams that have to dink and dunk and hope to throw a jump ball into the end zone to score (think Atlanta Falcons). We have to be able to throw the ball and that means evolving away from our current blocking scheme to one that allows for pass protection but at the same time provides for efficient run blocking. You cannot tip throw/run based on your linemen's stance. I would look for a coach that is versed in what we do but also has the innovative skills to transition what we have to what we need to become. In other words someone that establish the run but also implement an ability to throw the ball out of multiple formations and have a completion rate higher than 80%. I think you can tune things based on the skill set of your personnel. I think a good goal in year one would be to run 70% and pass 30%. We might move to a higher percentage of passing in future years but I think any team that considers itself a tough football team should run the ball at least 60% of the time.

I feel like someone like Jeff Monken or Troy Calhoun could deliver on that sort of transition and provide for the best path forward.

Go Jackets!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we should transition from the current offense to one that features at least 30% passing. I think the fact we line up under the center and can run the ball inside the 1o yard line gives us a big advantage over most teams. A lot of them just can not run the ball in the red zone and continue to put their QB in the shotgun and give up 5 yards before the ball is even snapped. I think being able to run the ball gives you a tougher identity than these teams that have to dink and dunk and hope to throw a jump ball into the end zone to score (think Atlanta Falcons). We have to be able to throw the ball and that means evolving away from our current blocking scheme to one that allows for pass protection but at the same time provides for efficient run blocking. You cannot tip throw/run based on your linemen's stance. I would look for a coach that is versed in what we do but also has the innovative skills to transition what we have to what we need to become. In other words someone that establish the run but also implement an ability to throw the ball out of multiple formations and have a completion rate higher than 80%. I think you can tune things based on the skill set of your personnel. I think a good goal in year one would be to run 70% and pass 30%. We might move to a higher percentage of passing in future years but I think any team that considers itself a tough football team should run the ball at least 60% of the time.

I feel like someone like Jeff Monken or Troy Calhoun could deliver on that sort of transition and provide for the best path forward.

Go Jackets!

The completion % should read 60% not 80%, although 80% would be great if virtually impossible.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’ve said for a long time that the CPJ spread option isn’t the only one that can work at Tech. Others have / can / will too.

The question is, will the next play caller be on CPJ’s level? I have doubts. The next HC might not even be the guy calling the plays. The next HC might clean house, bring in an entirely new staff, and take one step back on O while taking two forward on D and STs....who knows?

Hell, we might hire Wisenhunt who could hire a triple O coach like Monken or Bohannon or Candeto etc, to continue the current scheme as Tech transitions to something new. Wouldn’t that be a hoot?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

Probably should've clarified that before you posted it