Vote: Should Georgia Tech Continue the "Option"?

Should Georgia Tech hire a coach will continue to run the option (or some form of it)?

• Yes

Votes: 203 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 100 33.0%

• Total voters

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
They might have been option calls, but those are the worst reads ever. In that first vid the QB has a 2-on-1 with the 2 WR's out there, yet he hands it to the back. That makes me think it may have been a called give. I dunno - maybe Gargantuamontololo or whatever his name is really is that bad.
I actually started feeling ill watching that video. I don't know what things were option and what weren't. The QB does fake the reads, but the blocking is consistently a mess.

Whatever offense we go with, I don't want that one specifically lol.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I voted before reading and just assumed by option you meant a triple option. I voted no for that because I’m tired of all the complaints about “triple option is the reason why (your complaint goes here)”.

I can’t imagine that the new offense won’t have option of some form, even if it is not a pure form (e.g., zone read).

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If we continue with option, nothing will change. I think a lot of yall will be surprised at what kind of guys we could get in the ATL area that can sling the ball

Something change since before PJ? Yes, it is even harder now to recruit to the Institute 4 star guys (I did not even mention 5 star guys, b/c that ain't happening). I do agree that recruiting numbers may go up slightly, but it won't be enough to complete with the top 10 or even top 20 most of the time.

You can't do what the factories do and beat the factories. They will OVERPOWER you. Sometimes they even do this when you have a system they do not like to play against, especially when their talent level is tremendous.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Nuainced answer, if Tech will commit to its football program monetarily on a major level then yes. If it’s more of the same, commitment wise, then no. Just go back to the “modern” game and recruit to basic talent needs. Man a team and be ready to finish 9 out of 10 years mid pack fighting it out with Duke, Virginia and Louisville for a mid level bowl.

If we spend money and run the triple option we can be different and win, if not then all we are doing is helping Ga. Miami, Clemson and Norte Dame eliminate the need to find time in practice for it. They can just prepare for us like they do anyone else.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If “run the Option” means passing less than 10 times a game, Always having the QB under center, Always huddling up and waiting for a coach to run a player in with the play - No.

To win in college football , a team must be able to run the ball - sprinkled in with some effective passing.

Lord I pray that I can again see a TE play for Ga Tech.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to see some option run out of multiple sets that surprise the defense and don’t require perfect blocking. The kind of play a slow white guy could take to the house for 30ish against UGA.

I also want to see guys like Kelly Campbell, Dez White, Freddie Smith, Harvey Middleton, Derrick Steagall, Kerry Watkins, etc streaking downfield behind the defense on a well designed option pass run by a quarterback who hits them right in stride.

I also want to see two tight-end sets and a power run game.

I also want to see play-action off of power run looks.

I also want to see well designed screens and draws that aren’t just run on desperation downs.

I also want to see downfield and intermediate passing out of four and five wide sets.

I want to see 97-01 offense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
U all know I like the ol and the option.

Coach is the best at this offense.
He often said " it is what it is"

Without him and our current talent it wont be near the same. They broke the mold when they made Coach.

I wish we could continue the current system with more depth and better athletes. Wishing is not a plan.

While we can't suddenly get fast on offense, we can get back to regular size ol in the offseason. This is Will Bryan after 16 just before sewak gad him loose 25 lbs. He was ready to play rg w shamire, but we needed him to play multiple positions.
7398.jpeg

Imo, we let Will (who is getting his strength and conditioning certs ) and Sisk loose on the ol during the off season and we can be ok in year 1.

I would like to transition to more of a Stanford or NW offense. Lots of big linemen (both sides) and a good qb and rb. Imo - the morgans could play a role here. Some of the true freshmen could help as TE
Biggest missing piece is the TE

The most important hire is a very very good ol coach. Spend the $$ and the ol coach will ATTRACT and develope the talent . In general ol guys tend to be more suitable to our academics . Gt should aim to be come ol U.

During the transition we will be heavy option, but ultimately we will be smash mouth with a young hot shot qb.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Definitely want to see us in an option offense, but would like to open up the passing some more. More in line with the old Nebraska or Oklahoma style offenses. Even more like what Auburn does would be better.

I was watching the 2008 Miami game the other day... Even the announcers we're surprised that we were throwing so much.