Vote: Should Georgia Tech Continue the "Option"?

Should Georgia Tech hire a coach will continue to run the option (or some form of it)?

• Yes

Votes: 203 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 100 33.0%

• Total voters

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
If we continue with option, nothing will change. I think a lot of yall will be surprised at what kind of guys we could get in the ATL area that can sling the ball

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Depends on the coach. If the coach is highly regarded for some specific type of offense, that's what they need to run here.

Do not want some coach just looking to dabble with an offensive scheme (and defensive scheme at that) that they have not successfully run before.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Get TStan to hire me for 250k a year and I’ll run whatever y’all want. I’ll even use the chat room during games for play calling.
Georgia Southern I think fired the AD for hiring the DC I think is at Louieville to run some crazy spread passing and it was a disaster; Then returned to the option and Willie Fritze and all is well

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If we continue with option, nothing will change. I think a lot of yall will be surprised at what kind of guys we could get in the ATL area that can sling the ball

It's not about getting them in the ATL; it's about getting them in the GT.

I suspect that many in the football forum may not follow GT basketball. In basketball, we play in the undisputed best conference. That's the opposite of our situation against SEC schools in football. Great players only have to stay 1 year if they can make it to the league. With Coach Hewitt, we were able to bring in some talent regularly, but with the rising significance of APR, we were in real trouble.

When we looked to move on, we couldn't get anyone to take the job until Coach Brian Gregory agreed. While DRad said money wasn't a deciding factor, most assumed it was (but, now, who knows?). While CBG signed a decent first class, only 1 of the first big 3 stayed the course. After that, recruiting went down hill. So, we decided to move on again.

Again, we couldn't find anybody until we settled for Coach Josh Pastner, whom Memphis paid us to take. He was able to organize and inspire the team largely left by CBG and make a run through the NIT (until we met a team who should've been in the NCAA). CJP had a reputation as a great recruiter. However, even with that first year success, he's brought in some solid guys, but only one top 100 player, and we've whiffed on big targets so far this year.

In other words, in Basketball where we have fewer hurdles and more advantages in recruiting than in Football, we've still had trouble bringing in top talent.

So, you are right that I'll be surprised if we start bringing in top talent.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it matters. We *will* run option plays regardless of head coach.

The question is more *what kind* of option.
Yes, everybody runs an option now. Call it zone read, or read option, or run pass option, it is almost all option-based. (Meyer at OSU, Johnson once related, refuses to call his offense "option" though it is because he is afraid it will hurt recruiting. Of players running the option in HS. Go figure.) The new guy's problem is going to be Johnson's old problem: a quarterback who can throw the ball. He's coming in at about the same time the first signing period is over ... there went the cream of the crop right there. And since I don't think any young coach will stay longer than three years maximum, two if he can win and get out, we could have some horrible football about here.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Yes, everybody runs an option now. Call it zone read, or read option, or run pass option, it is almost all option-based. (Meyer at OSU, Johnson once related, refuses to call his offense "option" though it is because he is afraid it will hurt recruiting. Of players running the option in HS. Go figure.) The new guy's problem is going to be Johnson's old problem: a quarterback who can throw the ball. He's coming in at about the same time the first signing period is over ... there went the cream of the crop right there. And since I don't think any young coach will stay longer than three years maximum, two if he can win and get out, we could have some horrible football about here.
LJ and JG will fit any scheme we bring in. I am worried more about our lack of true offensive tackles.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
TO is okay if other schemes are used as well. Our play book was so limited this year that it is amazing we won 7 games and could have been 8 with a big time kicker that could put it out of the endzone. Biggest improvement could come from an improvement in defense. Not sure PJ ever really was that interested in D. He wanted to hire a DC that took it over so he could do the O. I think PJ really enjoyed play calling and that's what kept him motivated. He was a class act and recruited good kids that were real students with a few exceptions. I hope he enjoys the next stage in his life.

Milwaukee

Banned
It's not about getting them in the ATL; it's about getting them in the GT.

I suspect that many in the football forum may not follow GT basketball. In basketball, we play in the undisputed best conference. That's the opposite of our situation against SEC schools in football. Great players only have to stay 1 year if they can make it to the league. With Coach Hewitt, we were able to bring in some talent regularly, but with the rising significance of APR, we were in real trouble.

When we looked to move on, we couldn't get anyone to take the job until Coach Brian Gregory agreed. While DRad said money wasn't a deciding factor, most assumed it was (but, now, who knows?). While CBG signed a decent first class, only 1 of the first big 3 stayed the course. After that, recruiting went down hill. So, we decided to move on again.

Again, we couldn't find anybody until we settled for Coach Josh Pastner, whom Memphis paid us to take. He was able to organize and inspire the team largely left by CBG and make a run through the NIT (until we met a team who should've been in the NCAA). CJP had a reputation as a great recruiter. However, even with that first year success, he's brought in some solid guys, but only one top 100 player, and we've whiffed on big targets so far this year.

In other words, in Basketball where we have fewer hurdles and more advantages in recruiting than in Football, we've still had trouble bringing in top talent.

So, you are right that I'll be surprised if we start bringing in top talent.

This is just sooooo inaccurate in regards to Hewitt and apr I don't even know where to start. You're trying to overlap years on purpose and most here are none the wiser apparently. Hell, the entire post is 100% wrong. It's Pastner's fault that he can't rake the recruits like Hewitt could, not even close to what you're saying here. Smh. You can recruit at GT. This post is junk.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is just sooooo inaccurate in regards to Hewitt and apr I don't even know where to start. You're trying to overlap years on purpose and most here are none the wiser apparently. Hell, the entire post is 100% wrong. It's Pastner's fault that he can't rake the recruits like Hewitt could, not even close to what you're saying here. Smh. You can recruit at GT. This post is junk.

LOL. You saying, "Fake News!"