Virginia Tech, Baseball

How many games will we win @VT? (Assume 3 played)

Votes: 3 11.1%

Votes: 8 29.6%

Votes: 16 59.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Anecdotally, in 2016... the ACC changed format of ACC Tournament (increased to 12 teams) after UNC failed to make ACC Tournament at 13-17 in conference. Also failed to make NCAA. RPI #19. [No... that doesn't address your questions]

I think the committee very RARELY will give a bid a team with a conference record below .500.

Most years... the ACC has at least one very weak team (single digit wins) & you end up with 8 or 9 teams at or above .500... more than half the conference. This year, we may end up with no team in single digits. Result could be only 7 teams at .500 or better. (the situation at midway).

Cannot imagine only 7 ACC teams getting bids. We'll see how it plays out.
uh oh, somebody call the paramedics. There has been an overdoes on GT baseball and somebody's about to crash .......

Ok, I jest, well sort of.

Seriously, if we were just going by the "eye test" would you guys think we are deserving of a tournament bid? I think we tend to be "myopic" when it comes to our own teams, especially in a negative sense, but I don't.

I am just trying to enjoy 1 game at a time. If we win, I am happy, if we lose, I move on to something else and wait for the next game. I try and enjoy the "micro successes" inside each game like a majestic Findley blast, or another clutch 2 strike base hit by Jake DeLeo, or marveling at how Jackson Vaughn gets people out. Just easier for me that way. You probably wouldn't think it on chat, but yeah, that is what I am trying to do.

Put another way, enjoy the journey, because we are probably ending up in some place like Paducah, KY instead of Omah this year .........

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
uh oh, somebody call the paramedics. There has been an overdoes on GT baseball and somebody's about to crash .......

Ok, I jest, well sort of.

Seriously, if we were just going by the "eye test" would you guys think we are deserving of a tournament bid? I think we tend to be "myopic" when it comes to our own teams, especially in a negative sense, but I don't.

I am just trying to enjoy 1 game at a time. If we win, I am happy, if we lose, I move on to something else and wait for the next game. I try and enjoy the "micro successes" inside each game like a majestic Findley blast, or another clutch 2 strike base hit by Jake DeLeo, or marveling at how Jackson Vaughn gets people out. Just easier for me that way. You probably wouldn't think it on chat, but yeah, that is what I am trying to do.

Put another way, enjoy the journey, because we are probably ending up in some place like Paducah, KY instead of Omah this year .........
Well said. I "think" I'm an outlier of a fan. & this especially applies to baseball. The enJOYment I get out of wins far exceeds any bad feels I have over losses.

& your point about the journey & little "good" things along the way.... I get into those too. Losses are minor in my personal cost-benefit analysis regarding my emotional investment.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well said. I "think" I'm an outlier of a fan. & this especially applies to baseball. The enJOYment I get out of wins far exceeds any bad feels I have over losses.

& your point about the journey & little "good" things along the way.... I get into those too. Losses are minor in my personal cost-benefit analysis regarding my emotional investment.
So how do you do this - just assume a loss until the very end?

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Welp, losing to a really bad VT team and this was the one game I thought we could win. They may put the nail in our coffin this weekend if we get swept. Turrible

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Hey mane, to quote that dude Geoff C:

“The progress is there, you just don’t wanna see it.” ☠️🫡
I see the progress. I'm watching the Mets - A's game tonight, and the A's pitcher had the following sequence: Walk, line out to RF, Walk, Walk, Walk, Walk, Grand Slam. Six runs, one hit. A professional baseball player at the highest level...

Reminds me of Samol's first outing against Miami opening weekend. Had a good first inning, if I recall. But next inning gave up 6 runs on 3 hits. I believe it was a hit, then HR. Followed by 3 walks/HBP and a grand slam.

Compare that to Samol today. 1 run in 2 innings, 2 hits, 1 BB. That's progress.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I see the progress. I'm watching the Mets - A's game tonight, and the A's pitcher had the following sequence: Walk, line out to RF, Walk, Walk, Walk, Walk, Grand Slam. Six runs, one hit. A professional baseball player at the highest level...

Reminds me of Samol's first outing against Miami opening weekend. Had a good first inning, if I recall. But next inning gave up 6 runs on 3 hits. I believe it was a hit, then HR. Followed by 3 walks/HBP and a grand slam.

Compare that to Samol today. 1 run in 2 innings, 2 hits, 1 BB. That's progress.
Are the A’s a major league team still? I thought them and the Reds were demoted to double A?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hall mentioned needing LHPs to carry the series. D.Smith is next man up.

20230415_173317.jpg

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
See y’all next year , de ja vu all over again. Please for the love of st Pete, make Danny hall retire . j Batt needs to be three for three in giving head coaches their walking papers