Virginia Postgame

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Now this is something I can agree with you on.

I’m sick of seeing Swilling get toasted and both safeties constantly be in the wrong spot in coverage.

Might as well put the young guys in and let them play.
This is something people like to say a lot, but they would never stick to it. If the back ups and young players were getting burnt you’d be pissed off the starters weren’t in. I promise you no coach will play an inferior player unless the starter has discipline issues.

The defensive scheme and coverage calls severely limits our secondary IMO. It looks like they’re trying to go for the “bend don’t break” strategy, but the zones they play are way too soft. We almost never press receivers at the line, and we always have guys just sit in the soft spots in our zones while their QB has all day to find them. If we have 5 DBs on the field, 3 of them need to be in man every play. Most of the time it looks like all 5 are playing zone, or we’re in a cover 4 with one guy bringing “pressure.”

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I honestly think patenaude has been good this year! Sims was widely regarded as a far from polished prospect coming in to college. I think the growth he has made so far is solid. He is still inconsistent but he is young. Pitt fans had been saying things like that about Pickett in prior seasons and look at that dude now
I have critical of Sims, and the INT problem is still here, but he has shown improvement and it's easy to forget how young he is.

Hopefully we can start to see some real improvements on the defensive side. Zero pressure on the QB and the secondary has been disappointing.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I have critical of Sims, and the INT problem is still here, but he has shown improvement and it's easy to forget how young he is.

Hopefully we can start to see some real improvements on the defensive side. Zero pressure on the QB and the secondary has been disappointing.
I agree. Defense has been super disappointing. The UNC game is a huge outlier. It seems like every qb we play has a career day against us. Lack of qb pressure is our most cherished past-time at this point. Our db's concern me the most. That is our best recuited position on d, collins' specialty, and on paper the deepest unit we have... the poor play there is just demoralizing

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211023-232959.jpg
    Screenshot_20211023-232959.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 76

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Ban me but i think P, is all about growing Sims into a force .
He is coaching him up after every drive. I think we need to be patient until next year. COVID in year 2 made things weird.

I really hope Gibbs isnt too injured with him limping after his final run. Also, barely any dontae smith tonight

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Offense had some issues but overall played well. There were some "yeah buts..." to consider but 570 yards and 41 points is hard to have an issue with.

Defense played bad to say the least. Part of that was Armstrong doing what he has done all year (we actually "held" him under his average yards passing) and their WRs making some great plays. A lot was just our defense having issues that we've seen for a while now, and likely will be exploited by good QBs most of the time.

Special teams was erratic. Missed extra point and a pair of bad punts, but perfect on the extra points + FGs, and the onsides were great (in general the kick offs were all great).

FWIW since returning against UNC (counting it as half a game) Sims is averaging 305 yards per game passing on 9.28 yards per attempt on ~63.5%, 9 TDs to 5 INTs, with 82 yards rushing on 6.8 ypc, 4 TDs. Each of the last 3 games have seen him pass for more yards than in any game last year. His INTs are still an issue but he has improved from about 1 INT every 20 pass attempts to once every 25. That still isn't good but the production(9.28 ypa ~top 10 in nation, 305 ypg would be 12th, and 82 ypg rushing would be second nationally for QBs) more than makes up for it, especially considering how young he is. It really is a shame some fans can't seem to understand how good he is and how high his ceiling is.

LibertyTurns

Banned
He is coaching him up after every drive. I think we need to be patient until next year. COVID in year 2 made things weird.

I really hope Gibbs isnt too injured with him limping after his final run. Also, barely any dontae smith tonight
Many a coach has met their demise either being friends with their assistants and/or trying to turn their “baby” into a superstar. It’s a team sport and a business. If CGC and Stansbury don’t figure this out in the next 4 games they never will.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Many a coach has met their demise either being friends with their assistants and/or trying to turn their “baby” into a superstar. It’s a team sport and a business. If CGC and Stansbury don’t figure this out in the next 4 games they never will.
Im more worried about CGCs ties to some of his staff than I am Coach P being dedicated to Sims. P and Sims has been inconsistent but overall good enough to win. The D staff on the other hand…