Virginia Postgame

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the same thing, but my brother pointed out to me that as he rolled over his helmet was in the ground and that that counts the same as an elbow or knee.
I guess he's down when his head hits the ground. I didn't think he lost the ball before that, but it was hard to tell.
For whatever it's worth (not much), Thacker said in this week's presser that Wesley Walker caused a fumble that wasn't called. I assume it was the play we were discussing.

slugboy

Staff member
@TampaBuzz Here are the top 10 rankings, plus ACC-ish level players. Sims comes in at #58, which is just above average.
If Sims were starting at Notre Dame, I think his numbers would be much better

RKNAME
1​
C.J. Stroud OSU
2​
Bryce Young ALA
3​
Kenny Pickett PITT
4​
Matt Corral MISS
5​
Sam Hartman WAKE
6​
Grayson McCall CCU
7​
Malik Willis LIB
8​
Cameron Rising UTAH
9​
Adrian Martinez NEB
10​
Aidan O'Connell PUR
15​
Brennan Armstrong UVA
18​
Malik Cunningham LOU
24​
Devin Leary NCST
28​
Sam Howell UNC
36​
Garrett Shrader SYR
54​
Jack Coan ND
58​
Jeff Sims GT
72​
Jordan Travis FSU
81​
Gunnar Holmberg DUKE
89​
D'Eriq King MIA
93​
Braxton Burmeister VT

Here's Passer Rating, from https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/qb-rating-ncaa. Sims is #39

RankPlayerTeamPostionPasser Rating
1​
Grayson McCallCoastal Carolina ChanticleersQB
225.8​
2​
C.J. StroudOhio State BuckeyesQB
192.8​
3​
Hendon HookerTennessee VolunteersQB
179.9​
4​
Bryce YoungAlabama Crimson TideQB
176.8​
5​
Tanner MordecaiSouthern Methodist MustangsQB
176.3​
6​
Kenny PickettPittsburgh PanthersQB
176.1​
7​
Sam HartmanWake Forest Demon DeaconsQB
173.6​
39​
Jeff SimsGeorgia Tech Yellow JacketsQB
152.2​

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
Here are the ESPN ACC rankings (Sims is in the middle at #9)

RKNAMEPAAPLAYSEPAPASSRUNSACKPENRAW
1​
Kenny Pickett PITT59.432559.351.210.9-7.14.387
2​
Sam Hartman WAKE52.328755.6545.1-4.6186.9
3​
Brennan Armstrong UVA51.347358.562.45.6-14.24.775.5
4​
Malik Cunningham LOU37.33154426.720.7-4.91.677.4
5​
Devin Leary NCST2330230.636.9-0.9-7.82.868.8
6​
Sam Howell UNC30.93273623.526.1-14.71.172.8
7​
Garrett ShraderSYR15.32792613.717.9-5.60.163.9
8​
Tyler Van Dyke MIA1216917.615.35.9-6.72.967.7
9​
Jeff Sims GT8.518013.15.99.2-3.1162
10​
Jordan Travis FSU4.716111.514.34.1-6.7-0.457.5
11​
Dennis Grosel BC0.524210.210.96.1-8.71.850.5
12​
Gunnar Holmberg DUKE14.330122.731.6-2.4-6.70.362.1
13​
D'Eriq King MIA-5.91772.110.6-3-6.40.941.4
14​
Braxton Burmeister VT-2.82758.88.58.3-10.32.247.3
15​
D.J. Uiagalelei CLEM-24.2295-9.3-0.7-1.1-8.61.129.9
It’s not a stretch that Sims could move up to #4 based on improvement after his bad start. Two things are required though- we need to run in the fashion we’re successful (unlike the last game where we abandoned the run), we need to get the best combination of weapons on the field (Gibbs plus with Dontae or Mason, get rid of those TEs please).

There’s maybe a third but perhaps Sims’ mental make up could not handle it- when he gets into a funk he needs to ride the pine for a series. I think it would really help.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it was a mistake to try Lucas over Graham. Lucas was and is a better QB, as evidenced by the fact he is still playing and Graham can't catch on anywhere. Lucas just never could stay healthy with us.

I think we are going far afield of the UVA postgame here, but suffice it to say I don't trust your talent evaluation more than the coaches, nor your evaluation of the quality of coaching. No offense!
No offense taken at all. This is all just fun dialogue. And who would trust any of us? Collins put himself in the position to get hired and he did. The guy knows the process of college football. The question is can he actually coach a team to get wins. I’m not trying to evaluate anyone. The evaluation is a known thing because it happens between 60:00 and 0:00. Everything else is just noise. So far from 60:00 to 0:00 the coaching has been mediocre. The good news for Saturday is VT is not good so we should have a chance to win.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Here is a link to the Top 50 QB's in the country based on QB rating. Fifteen (15) of them are Sophomores including the guy at Coastal Carolina. You will notice that our QB (a 3-year starter) in not on this list. I recognize that QB rating is a debatable metric.
Sims is in his 2nd year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Here is a link to the Top 50 QB's in the country based on QB rating. Fifteen (15) of them are Sophomores including the guy at Coastal Carolina. You will notice that our QB (a 3-year starter) in not on this list. I recognize that QB rating is a debatable metric.

Sims is a 2nd year starter. And most lists have a minimum requirement to filter out very low volume cases. Sims pass efficiency is 152.2 this year which would be 35th if he qualified. There are I believe 8 freshmen or sophs above him. However, keep in mind by the way they are counting sophs you have everywhere from 2nd year players to 4th year players in those 8.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
For whatever it's worth (not much), Thacker said in this week's presser that Wesley Walker caused a fumble that wasn't called. I assume it was the play we were discussing.
Hopefully the coaches are aware that this was the correct call. I don't remember any other close calls on fumbles, but the refs clearly got this one right.

Per NCAA Rulebook:
When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except the hand or foot, touches the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses possession of the ball as they contact the ground with any part of their body, except the hand or foot [Exception: The ball remains alive when an offensive player has simulated a kick or at the snap is in position to kick the ball held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or advanced by rule] (A.R. 4-1-3-I)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just FYI for all still not aware of this, any part of the body not the hand or foot contacting the ground causes the player to be down.

Per NCAA Rulebook:
When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except the hand or foot, touches the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses possession of the ball as they contact the ground with any part of their body, except the hand or foot [Exception: The ball remains alive when an offensive player has simulated a kick or at the snap is in position to kick the ball held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or advanced by rule] (A.R. 4-1-3-I)
Are you saying you saw that happen? I'm simply going off memory where the ball was knocked out before any part of the body contacted the ground. I probably just need to watch the replay at this point.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying you saw that happen? I'm simply going off memory where the ball was knocked out before any part of the body contacted the ground. I probably just need to watch the replay at this point.
That field was so dark, it wouldn't surprise me that everyone missed it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, and Max Johnson seem to be doing ok. Caleb Williams, a true freshman at Oklahoma seems to be doing ok since he took over for Rattler as well.
I suspect Sims would be doing much better at Ohio State, Alabama, LSU or Oklahoma as well. Trying to compare the talent that surrounds Sims at GT to what the other 4 have is laughable as they are perennial to 5 recruiting programs. Put any of those 4 QBs on this GT team and they would be struggling at times as well. Also all 4 were top 50 recruits coming out of college.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought I remembered a clearer angle, but here's the best I could find. I don't see any movement in the ball before his helmet hits but a good portion of the play is obscured. Probably each of our brains just filled in missing info.
Timestamp is 1:18:35 if it doesn't work.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I remembered a clearer angle, but here's the best I could find. I don't see any movement in the ball before his helmet hits but a good portion of the play is obscured. Probably each of our brains just filled in missing info.
Timestamp is 1:18:35 if it doesn't work.

Thanks for sharing. Yea, in real-time I thought it was loose before the helmet hit the ground. Could also just be wishful thinking on my part as I look at it now. I wonder if Thack/the coaches had another angle not shown on TV by chance, too.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I suspect Sims would be doing much better at Ohio State, Alabama, LSU or Oklahoma as well. Trying to compare the talent that surrounds Sims at GT to what the other 4 have is laughable as they are perennial to 5 recruiting programs. Put any of those 4 QBs on this GT team and they would be struggling at times as well. Also all 4 were top 50 recruits coming out of college.
If he is struggling because the players around him aren't very good or if he is struggling because he isn't as talented as the players I mentioned, then I guess youth isn't the real problem?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If he is struggling because the players around him aren't very good or if he is struggling because he isn't as talented as the players I mentioned, then I guess youth isn't the real problem?

I get you are just searching for anything to allow you to throw Sims under the bus but experience allows players to understand how to cover for the weaknesses of the rest of the team better. Obviously that is more important at a place where there are more weaknesses. The other impact is also true. A place like Bama allows for the strengths of the rest of the team to be used to hide some of the weaknesses of a young QB.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
They are not mutually exclusive points. Any QB would do better with 10 better teammates. Also comparing good a QB on a below average to elite QBs on great teams is senseless. That's not rocket science.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Our QB is a 3-year starter? huh? The last 3-year starter we had around here was JT. Our QB has played 14 games? 15 games? That's not even a season and a half.

slugboy

Staff member
Our QB is a 3-year starter? huh? The last 3-year starter we had around here was JT. Our QB has played 14 games? 15 games? That's not even a season and a half.
I think there was some confusion from @TampaBuzz, but I don't think it was on purpose

2019: Mix of some starters--Lucas Johnson (JR), Tobias Oliver (SO) to begin the season, and James Graham (FR) for most of the starts. Yates is on the team and gets some playing time.
2020: Jeff Sims (FR) wins the starting job. Some activity from Yates and from Graham (who transfers). Shortened season
2021: This season, incomplete. Sims has been the main starter. Yates has started a couple of games

Sims has had most of two seasons (or a season and a half, depending on how many hairs we want to split).

Speaking of "splitting a hare", Happy Halloween!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I get you are just searching for anything to allow you to throw Sims under the bus but experience allows players to understand how to cover for the weaknesses of the rest of the team better. Obviously that is more important at a place where there are more weaknesses. The other impact is also true. A place like Bama allows for the strengths of the rest of the team to be used to hide some of the weaknesses of a young QB.
I'm not searching for anything. I have no problem accepting that he has problems he needs to work on. I'm just confused as to why every time we discuss QB play we need to make a list of excuses as to why its impossible for him to do better than he has done. It is possible for him to make better decisions on the field without 4 more years of experience, and Bama's offensive line. Let's hope he figures it out.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think there was some confusion from @TampaBuzz, but I don't think it was on purpose

2019: Mix of some starters--Lucas Johnson (JR), Tobias Oliver (SO) to begin the season, and James Graham (FR) for most of the starts. Yates is on the team and gets some playing time.
2020: Jeff Sims (FR) wins the starting job. Some activity from Yates and from Graham (who transfers). Shortened season
2021: This season, incomplete. Sims has been the main starter. Yates has started a couple of games

Sims has had most of two seasons (or a season and a half, depending on how many hairs we want to split).

Speaking of "splitting a hare", Happy Halloween!

That's what I said. 14-15 games. That's not even a season and a half. Started 4 games this year and 10 games last year. A regular season is 12 games, so 14 games << 18 games (1.5 seasons). Definitely not a 3-year starter, Barely a 2nd-year starter.

No need to split hairs. Not even "most of two seasons" since he essentially missed 3 of our 7 games so far (excluding half of the 1st quarter for NIU).