Virginia postgame discussion

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Maybe some triple-O experts can chime in on this, but it seems to me watching the game fullspeed like TM is missing a lot of his first reads- whether to give to the B-back or keep it. Possibly thats a product of the fast DLinemen he's been faced with lately.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
my ignorant eyes agree, that TM is missing some reads at the mesh and not timing when to pitch or to hang on. He's not missing them all, but enough to make a difference. grranted I'm not the one be chased ...

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
He definitely seems to be missing reads. But he's a first year starter and only the second year at QB. His BBack is a first year player after being out with an injury last year. He didn't get any reps with Clinton Lynch because he was recovering from a surgery and then an injury this offseason. I think the fanbase (and I'm including myself here) probably took it for granted how much of a rebuilding year this would be on offense. If we had Klock, Fromayan, Mills, and Marcus Marshall back things might be different but it is what it is. Good news is that most everyone is back next year on O.

Animal02

Banned
my ignorant eyes agree, that TM is missing some reads at the mesh and not timing when to pitch or to hang on. He's not missing them all, but enough to make a difference. grranted I'm not the one be chased ...
Yes it appears he is missing read, missing open receivers, and wanting to take to much on himself. Rather typical for a first year QB that is quite the athlete.
It is disappointing/ frustrating that none of the breaks / ball bounces have fallen our way this year........would have made quite the difference in the W/L record

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
He definitely seems to be missing reads. But he's a first year starter and only the second year at QB. His BBack is a first year player after being out with an injury last year. He didn't get any reps with Clinton Lynch because he was recovering from a surgery and then an injury this offseason. I think the fanbase (and I'm including myself here) probably took it for granted how much of a rebuilding year this would be on offense. If we had Klock, Fromayan, Mills, and Marcus Marshall back things might be different but it is what it is. Good news is that most everyone is back next year on O.
You really think that's good news, same players,same coach?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Seemed like fair questions to me. Obvious questions but questions we've all had here and want an answer for. I get he's mad but he isn't providing any hope to fans that he has any solutions to our problems.

He can say what he wants about the offense putting up numbers but the defense is giving them plenty of possessions. Seems to say the defense is playing just as poorly but it's pretty hard to play defense when your offense and special teams keeps letting the other team start in your territory.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
He definitely came off as a jerk in that interview. Maybe the play calling question was unfair, but the question about how we're boom or bust seemed like an apt analysis and one that I share. He seemed to purposefully misconstrue what was said about "take away these two plays" or whatever instead of answering the spirit of the question.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Regarding passing... Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

When CPJ asked if receivers were open, more often than not they were and the pass call was correct. To bad we had 6 completions, two interceptions and 16 incompletions. Yes 16 incompletions! That doesn't count pass plays were we were sacked or ended up scrambling.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Look guys, he's acting like a jerk, talking over the questions, smarmy looking , turning away from the reporters when they ask a question. He's what Tech signed up for. Straight up, these are his players, his recruits, his offense, he's the coach and CEO.Some of our fans think this act is great and look at Paul giving these reporters "the what for". No way in hell would I want my son playing for this jerk, and apparently some other parents and high school seniors thinkthe same.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
For Shame...FOR SHAME...
Is this not why you root for GT? Because you recognize the almost insurmountable challenges posed by the modern College game towards academic integrity and demand the line be held.
Are you now in a dark time to mutter amongst yourselves about a change in leadership? A change in standards? Would you give away the chance to be a successful beacon shining in the outer darkness of moral and ethical decay to be who? Auburn? CLEMSON? God Forbid...UGA?
For Shame...
We are here because we know that this program creates MEN. MEN who are equipped to go out into the world and make it a better place. To do this there must be challenges and adversity, and in the face of that a steeling of nerves and a strengthening of resolve. Men are not defined by wins and loses but by their reaction to those things.
Gird yourselves, it is a dark time. But recall fondly the wins that came last year after a similar dark time. Remember that it’s not over until it’s over. These fires of loss and disappointment serve to burn away the dross of negativity that comes from those who just wish to revel in misfortune of others. What’s left is pure Gold.

Thank you for posting this!!! WELL SAID.
I'm an alum, but the reason I pull for Tech is the way we do it. I'm proud of the young men that come out of our program, I'm proud of the way they represent themselves, I'm proud of the fact that they're getting degrees that are worth something.

Scubapro

Banned
I don't blame him for being snarky...the reporter was asking him to give an evaluation of his own play calling. Top notch journalism right there boys. Now...How about this for a question....Kicking game has cost us arguably three games this year....can you give us some insight regarding efforts to improve the kicking game?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Regarding passing... Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

To bad we had 6 completions, two interceptions and 16 incompletions. Yes 16 incompletions!

I knew it was a lot...but that's more than I thought. We can't keep that pace up an expect to beat anyone.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Look guys, he's acting like a jerk, talking over the questions, smarmy looking , turning away from the reporters when they ask a question. He's what Tech signed up for. Straight up, these are his players, his recruits, his offense, he's the coach and CEO.Some of our fans think this act is great and look at Paul giving these reporters "the what for". No way in hell would I want my son playing for this jerk, and apparently some other parents and high school seniors thinkthe same.
Anything else on your mind today?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There is no reason to alienate the press. They can be your worst nightmare when things are not going well. I am sure he is frustrated like most of us are with the results so far. He is no diplomat and does come off as a jerk at times. I am more concerned with how he treats his players one on one. He doesn't need to coddle them but these are still kids that need some parental support at times.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

You should probably ask those that have played under him before, I've heard quite a lot of praise. Im not saying he is perfect or right all the time, but you can tell he is frustrated. He is also frustrated at reporters for trying to get him to pin the blame on certain players or for doing things that fans ask for and then get yelled at for doing that. Hell he got asked a question yesterday about if he thinks this team can win out the rest of the season. What is he supposed to say to that, do you really think he is going to say no....? You can tell CPJ just gets irked when a reporter starts with I guess you should have or I guess you could have ..

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He is often very insightful and gives very detailed answers to good questions. Who always starts off asking "how was practice today"? He always gives the same answer.