Virginia (Home) - ACC Weekend #6

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
  • Tough matchup today. Their pitcher Abbott can be really good. Dude throws a lot of pitches (104 per ACC game average).
  • Is 2-4 due to lack of run support. On our team could be 4-2 or better. Started as Friday starter but moved to Saturday. Makes sense to me to have a higher Saturday win % (and Sunday they are clearly better ERA than us).
  • 1.2 WHIP. Averaging 4.11 pitches in ACC ABs. We'll need to run up the pitch count as he seems to throw a lot of pitches each AB. (I say that every week, just vary the excuse.)
  • 5 of the 13 ER have been HRs. We need to take advantage of that too. 3 run HR please :)

Season
View attachment 10257
3/27 v Miami
View attachment 10252
3/20 v Pitt
View attachment 10253
3/12 v ND
View attachment 10254
3/5 @ FSU
View attachment 10255
2/27 @ UNC
View attachment 10256

Abbot did to us pretty much what he has done to others. We only averaged 3.6 pitches per AB which is below his yearly average of 4.1. Hopefully our plate discipline improves today.
1617452319403.png

Today we see his slightly less evil Star Wars twin, Vasil (Mike) for the Sundayish (@FredJacket ok?) game. Always been the Sunday guy and had 4 of 5 good ACC outings (ND poor, Pitt looks like he was struggling at the end). As we talked about in chat, this is not a favorable match up on paper. Vasil doesn't go as deep into games which is good for us if we can run up the pitch count early (repetitive I know)

3/28 v Miami
1617458572867.png

3/21 v Pitt
1617458651969.png

3/13 v ND
1617458730496.png

3/6 @ FSU
1617458854409.png

2/28 @ UNC
1617459426024.png

Last edited:
Abbot did to us pretty much what he has done to others. We only averaged 3.6 pitches per AB which is below his yearly average of 4.1. Hopefully our plate discipline improves today.
View attachment 10263

Today we see his slightly less evil Star Wars twin, Vasil (Mike) for the Sundayish (@FredJacket ok?) game. Always been the Sunday guy and had 4 of 5 good ACC outings (ND poor, Pitt looks like he was struggling at the end). As we talked about in chat, this is not a favorable match up on paper. Vasil doesn't go as deep into games which is good for us if we can run up the pitch count early (repetitive I know)

3/28 v Miami
View attachment 10264
3/21 v Pitt
View attachment 10265
3/13 v ND
View attachment 10266
3/6 @ FSU
View attachment 10267
2/28 @ UNC
View attachment 10268

That strikeout to walk ratio is just nasty.

Deleted member 2897

We’ve made the worst team in the league with a horrible offense look like all stars. Sad.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
The errors are out of control. Hopefully a month with weekday games will get us in a more usual routine and iron out some of our issues. Frustrating because we can see the potential.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Like the Pitt series, we deserved to lose the series. And like I said yesterday, at lest we didn't get swept. Rankings are the least of our concern, either we get our **** together or we won't host.

Bad baseball defensively, gawd awful relieving pitching (starting was good) and bats got beat by better pitching. Need to keep auditioning pitchers and bench till all other of the 23 pitchers are auditioned.

Defensively, I just don't know. There we at least three plays where we *should* have gotten an out but didn't.

Hitting wise, UVa put on a master class in bunting and sac'ing. The finer points of baseball which they have and we don't. They are used to close games; we are used to massive leads.

Maybe something good will come from being embarrassed again.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We desperately need the relievers to step up and throw some strikes. That has been the most disappointing thing to me is that guys simply can't find the zone. We have guys with elite stuff, but it doesn't matter if you walk or hit every person in the box.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
#13 Notre Dame beat #24 Pittsburgh in game 1. Tech fails yet again, now at 11-7 ACC. Notre Dame at 11-4, could be 13-4 by the time we face them next weekend. 11-6 at worst, and we have never played well at ND. I suspect that we will be the lower ranked team when we play Notre Dame next weekend. If that's not a wakeup call, to all of us, players, coaches, fans, I don't know what is...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We played this weekend like we usually do on drugs
fify

In the end it's just a game. I read some coach saying that almost all teams have major flaws this year. We are no exception.

Out of 290 teams, our rpi of 70 feels about right, right now. http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html We have the players and coaching (Hall, DBo, Ramsey) to be much better (hard to believe I'm typing that but it's Easter). Like CPJ said, if he knew how to fix it, he would.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
fify

In the end it's just a game. I read some coach saying that almost all teams have major flaws this year. We are no exception.

Out of 290 teams, our rpi of 70 feels about right, right now. http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html We have the players and coaching (Hall, DBo, Ramsey) to be much better (hard to believe I'm typing that but it's Easter). Like CPJ said, if he knew how to fix it, he would.

I am not a huge baseball fan but to me, BKB and BB share some similarities. There are "on off" games where shots don't fall. Or balls are hit hard but right at people. Or a pitcher can't throw strikes that day. But defense can and should be coachable and should be present most of the time. Even in BB, superior athletes can even trump fundamentally sound defense. But I don't believe that should be the case in BB (where it is not a one on one athletic matchup as it is in BKB or FB) even discounting an occasional one off game. Sound defense should be a given because it is very coachable. What am I missing here?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Well 7 of our starting 9 are freshmen, and that matters. The potential is there.
Exactly and this is why my expectations for this year aren't as high as they usually are, and then add to this that we have to play 6 extra ACC games when the conference is the deepest it's ever been. I was hoping that we would go 20-16 in ACC play this year. Right now we're on pace for 22-14 and we've only really had 2 weekends where we've played our best baseball. We have the starting pitching and lineup, but just need 2 more relievers to step up and the defense to play to its potential.