Virginia (Home) - ACC Weekend #6

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

Thursday April 1st, 7pm
Friday April 2nd, 6pm
Saturday April 3rd, 1pm

Barring unexpected bad weather, everyone's home by Easter!

Currently no chance of rain. It will be a little on the cold side later in the games especially Thursday night (high 53, low 32). Friday high 56, then low 36, so might be a couple of degrees warmer than Thursday. But those will be bundle up games. Saturday looks awesome - sunny and 65.

Virginia is 4-11 ACC, having lost 1-2 at UNC, 1-2 at FSU, 1-2 home against ND, and lost 1-2 home against Pitt.

Of note, UNC scored 2 or fewer runs in 2 of the games, yet won the series. Then same thing against FSU - FSU scored 2 or fewer runs in 2 of the games.

Notre Dame blew them up for 30 runs.

The Pitt scored 2, 6, and 4...and took the series.

It looks to me like Virginia has some really solid pitching, but their bats are just absolutely anemic.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping this would be the Official Visit weekend back when the Dead Period was to end 3/31.

This would be a great weekend to travel with no HS baseball Fri or Sat. .... sniff, sniff.

Fingers crossed for Thursday, Friday, Saturday

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thursday April 1st, 7pm
Friday April 2nd, 6pm
Saturday April 3rd, 1pm

Barring unexpected bad weather, everyone's home by Easter!

Currently no chance of rain. It will be a little on the cold side later in the games especially Thursday night (high 53, low 32). Friday high 56, then low 36, so might be a couple of degrees warmer than Thursday. But those will be bundle up games. Saturday looks awesome - sunny and 65.

Virginia is 4-11 ACC, having lost 1-2 at UNC, 1-2 at FSU, 1-2 home against ND, and lost 1-2 home against Pitt.

Of note, UNC scored 2 or fewer runs in 2 of the games, yet won the series. Then same thing against FSU - FSU scored 2 or fewer runs in 2 of the games.

Notre Dame blew them up for 30 runs.

The Pitt scored 2, 6, and 4...and took the series.

It looks to me like Virginia has some really solid pitching, but their bats are just absolutely anemic.
@bwelbo is that your final answer? 😅😅

We will call them "slacts" slightly off facts.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Would think if our starting pitching continues well we have a chance at a sweep this weekend. I like Crawford because he pounds the zone and throws strikes, but he doesn’t really have a great secondary out pitch right now, so he’s giving up a lot of contact. So I’m not sure what direction to go moving forward, I wonder if Crawford would be better as a reliever not going through the line up multiple times.

Deleted member 2897

@bwelbo is that your final answer? 😅😅

We will call them "slacts" slightly off facts.

I left out Miami to see if you were on your game. Yes, Virginia is 4-11.

by the way, and speaking of pitching, Miami scored four or fewer runs twice and still took the series 2-1 from Virginia.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Would think if our starting pitching continues well we have a chance at a sweep this weekend. I like Crawford because he pounds the zone and throws strikes, but he doesn’t really have a great secondary out pitch right now, so he’s giving up a lot of contact. So I’m not sure what direction to go moving forward, I wonder if Crawford would be better as a reliever not going through the line up multiple times.
If Roedig or Grissom were healthy one of them would probably be in that Sunday spot. I totally agree that Crawford has been solid, but he has been the most inconsistent starter (although he has 2 studs in front of him) and I think he would be better in the pen.

Also, I'd almost like to see CDH mix it up the rotation this week. In order to keep Hurter and Archer on normal rest, I'd like to see Hall throw Roedig for 3-4 innings followed by Crawford on Thursday for another 2-3 innings. I doubt this will happen, but it's something that I think could work and would keep Hurter and Archer fresh after they both threw over 100 pitches.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Roedig or Grissom were healthy one of them would probably be in that Sunday spot. I totally agree that Crawford has been solid, but he has been the most inconsistent starter (although he has 2 studs in front of him) and I think he would be better in the pen.

Also, I'd almost like to see CDH mix it up the rotation this week. In order to keep Hurter and Archer on normal rest, I'd like to see Hall throw Roedig for 3-4 innings followed by Crawford on Thursday for another 2-3 innings. I doubt this will happen, but it's something that I think could work and would keep Hurter and Archer fresh after they both threw over 100 pitches.

We need a whole separate post on pitching. I'll do when I get a chance or someone beats me to it.

BLUF: Starting with 23 pitchers, we have precious few that we have seen be reliable in games. Losing Finley was awful for mid-relief. While we may have a top 10 team ranking, that isn't based on pitching strength. I don't know that we can do well in the ACC tourney or NCAA tourney without more pitching depth.

(BTW, I remember that you have been worried about out pitching depth for a while.)

As to mixing it up, that is what mid-week games are good for. And we haven't had one for a while.

BTW, I thoroughly approved of Quick Hook Hall on Sunday. 7 or so pitchers.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVa (my second favorite ACC team) has done awful. The World Turned Upside Down :( Hope they don't emerge this weekend but wait another week to come out of hibernation.

They are playing George Washington (rpi 205) tomorrow.
1617058309711.png

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Great program and O'Connor is a solid dude. We really enjoyed our visit.
Christian would have gone there if it were for the price and if GT just didn't beat the $hit out of them on coaches, team, location, campus and being in ATL.
He really liked UVA. Gorgeous campus and impressive facilities. New pitching coach, but solid crew.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I left out Miami to see if you were on your game. Yes, Virginia is 4-11.

by the way, and speaking of pitching, Miami scored four or fewer runs twice and still took the series 2-1 from Virginia.
Been a long time since I took arithmetic but if they’re 1-2 in 5 straight series wouldn’t they be 5-10?

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck

If we continue to get the kind of starts out of Hurter and Archer that we have gotten recently, I would strongly consider making Sunday the "all staff" day. More and more MLB teams are doing this sort of thing with their day 4 or 5 starts. Audition the remaining staff during practice that week - much like golf does before tournaments - and give the top performers an inning each. It gives the coach a chance to mix up the arms between left & right, power & finesse, to keep the opposing hitters off balance. Plus it rewards the guys that have a good week of practice. If anyone can't get the outs, you have a quick hook and move on to the next guy. Until someone proves they can be a consistently reliable day 3 starter it gives a staff with so many arms a chance to be rewarded for performance.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
If we continue to get the kind of starts out of Hurter and Archer that we have gotten recently, I would strongly consider making Sunday the "all staff" day. More and more MLB teams are doing this sort of thing with their day 4 or 5 starts. Audition the remaining staff during practice that week - much like golf does before tournaments - and give the top performers an inning each. It gives the coach a chance to mix up the arms between left & right, power & finesse, to keep the opposing hitters off balance. Plus it rewards the guys that have a good week of practice. If anyone can't get the outs, you have a quick hook and move on to the next guy. Until someone proves they can be a consistently reliable day 3 starter it gives a staff with so many arms a chance to be rewarded for performance.
it also gives everyone that earns an inning, Live Game reps which are important as the program gels and comes together.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

100% agree. Plus some. That is what we did last Sunday with our 7 pitchers. Some were not quality performances (i.e. epic fails), but at least we had Quick Hook Hall so we limited the damage and moved on. I think Bartnicki and Maxwell got work since it was Sunday and there was no game till the next Thursday. Of our irregulars, Dawson Brown did well.

The only way to find out who are gamers is to put them in the game. Need to practice well and have control in the game since pitching is mostly mental as these guys are physically talented.

1617101722201.png