VCU Game - What to Expect?

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree, but I will counter that by saying that in the first half, we also missed a ton of gimmes. We had a number of opportunities to stretch a small lead, but we would miss a putback or layup on the break.

I remember saying to my friend that it felt like we were outplaying in the first 10:00 but I looked up and the score was tied because we kept missing layups.
I agree with this. I counted 4 or 5 flushes or layups missed in the first half. We were fouled on some of the missed dunks, but nothing called. The refs called a lot of fouls on VCU, but they did not call a bunch of others.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Interesting tidbit:

I saw someone say that Tadric's 1-7 last night was deceiving so I looked and we actually got an offensive rebound off of 5 of his 6 misses.

When Tadric drives aggressively instead of putting up poorly timed shots, even if he misses, he's almost always going to draw defensive attention and with our prolific rebounding ability, we put ourselves in a great position to score even off of a miss.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Agree, but I will counter that by saying that in the first half, we also missed a ton of gimmes. We had a number of opportunities to stretch a small lead, but we would miss a putback or layup on the break.

I remember saying to my friend that it felt like we were outplaying in the first 10:00 but I looked up and the score was tied because we kept missing layups.

blanket.jpg

haha. its more fun to take pot shots after a win :)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Interesting tidbit:

I saw someone say that Tadric's 1-7 last night was deceiving so I looked and we actually got an offensive rebound off of 5 of his 6 misses.

When Tadric drives aggressively instead of putting up poorly timed shots, even if he misses, he's almost always going to draw defensive attention and with our prolific rebounding ability, we put ourselves in a great position to score even off of a miss.

He should get assist credit. He just passes off the backboard and rim.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Interesting tidbit:

Actually I did notice that and I am guessing that he knew this would be the case and it was a semi-deliberate strategy. I say semi-deliberate because I think he'd prefer to have gone 6-7 (can't give him the three pointer) but I definitely think he knew that most of his misses would likely be rebound baskets for the good guys...pretty sure he is being coached to do this as well.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why everyone is down on him.

I can think of three reasons:
  1. his defense
  2. his three point shooting; and lastly
  3. his defense
I am rooting for TJ but I always feel like when he is on the court, the question is whether his positives outweigh his negatives.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
24 of 26 on free throws??? That shows a dedication from players and coaches. Impressive. That will win you some games.

Considering how many GT Fans (looking in the mirror here) complained about this during the Hewitt years as a coaching issue, I suspect we have to give some credit to the coaching staff for this as well now, don't we?

Oh, I see you did mention the coaches...just emphasizing that point...

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually I did notice that and I am guessing that he knew this would be the case and it was a semi-deliberate strategy. I say semi-deliberate because I think he'd prefer to have gone 6-7 (can't give him the three pointer) but I definitely think he knew that most of his misses would likely be rebound baskets for the good guys...pretty sure he is being coached to do this as well.

This is something that CBG has been talking about throughout the season. In essence that good offensive execution (i.e. breaking down the defense), leads to offensive rebounding opportunities or something positive (open shots for teammates). To me, that seems to be one of the big differences between this year and last. Our guards have been able to get into the lane and create more often, and we continue to be a terror on the offensive glass.

Tadric was very good at getting in the lane and creating. His kick-outs to Adam Smith and MGH both resulted in rhythm three's that we knocked down, and he had a couple of dump off's for easy lay-up's/dunks.

Last edited:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can think of three reasons:
  1. his defense
  2. his three point shooting; and lastly
  3. his defense
I am rooting for TJ but I always feel like when he is on the court, the question is whether his positives outweigh his negatives.

Granted, he has struggled earlier in the season, but all of our guards have had their share of issues defensively until the VCU game. Most of us would say that perimeter defense (as a whole) has probably been the biggest shortcoming through 9 games. Just my opinion, but I think that Travis is a much better defensive player than many here give him credit for. As far as positives outweighing the negatives, I think it is a no-brainer. Offensively, he gives us another gear in pushing the ball up the court and getting us into sets, and as mentioned, he really takes care of the basketball. When we were struggling against the pressure in the first half against VCU, he would have been huge.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Granted, he has struggled earlier in the season, but all of our guards have had their share of issues defensively until the VCU game. Most of us would say that perimeter defense (as a whole) has probably been the biggest shortcoming through 9 games. Just my opinion, but I think that Travis is a much better defensive player than many here give him credit for. As far as positives outweighing the negatives, I think it is a no-brainer. Offensively, he gives us another gear in pushing the ball up the court and getting us into sets, and as mentioned, he really takes care of the basketball. When we were struggling against the pressure in the first half against VCU, he would have been huge.
You have a higher opinion of his defense than I. And, he's only modestly better on the other end of the court. Where he excels is pushing the ball up court, so he definitely has value. One more thing. Someone needs to teach him better shooting mechanics so he can get shot opportunities more often.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Miniscule sample size, but I thought Travis showed improvement on defense against Tulane. How that translates going forward, I've got no idea, but no lack of effort.

I also think he does a solid job initiating the offense, both pushing the ball & penetrating the lane in half court.

Not denying he, along with the entire team, have room for improvement, just a couple of my observations.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Some of it may have to do with testing the waters on the new rules. The freedom of movement rule I believe affects guards most because it used to be nothing to put a hand on your man. It was bad defense not to. I think the new rules added to inconsistent enforcement could explain a lot with Jorg's defense

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We run better when Jorgy is in the game. We run sets better when he's not.

Defensively he has very good hands but not great feet.

While we don't face many traps or full-court pressure, he's more adept at breaking that pressure as well.

Having him available will be big against the Dogs. We will need to throw a lot of fresh bodies at their backcourt.