VCU Game - What to Expect?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Arguably the biggest game of the year for us to date. Early line is GT - 1, so Vegas is expecting it to come down to the wire. IMO, this is a game that we are very capable of winning, and it should provide a good litmus test.

Honestly, I will be disappointed if we lose this game. This are the types of games that you have to win to get into any type of postseason. Our guys have had a week of practice to work on some things that we needed to get better at (perimeter D), and I look for them come out and play well tomorrow night. That said, I haven't been able to follow the college basketball world as closely as in years past.

No more Havoc, no more Briante, but I know that they still have talent. What do I need to know about this edition of the VCU Rams?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
VCU lost by eight to Duke and by one to Wisconsin in the 2K Classic at Madison Square Garden, and then by five to FSU in Atlanta. They can shoot the lights out and have a scrappy pressure defense. Melvin Johnson is averaging 20 ppg and hitting almost 50% of his 3-point shots. As a team they are hitting 40% of their treys.

On the other side, CBG has never lost the first game after the exam break at GT. That said, the Rams will be the first serious threat during that span.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what to expect. Think @connell62 is probably right that this is the biggest game of the year so far. Safe to say they're probably the second best team we've played behind Villanova, but we weren't expected to win that one. Wins over VCU and uga will likely propel us into an undefeated non-conference finish and set us up great for ACC play.

Maybe of note is that VCU's only true road game so far was at Middle Tennessee and they struggled a little big, only winning by 6. Hopefully we can get a good crowd there tomorrow night.

Lines up to -1.5 now

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree that this is a game we have to win to show we might deserve postseason consideration, but there's still plenty of core pieces on VCU making this a very challenging game. Hoping for a win, but wouldn't be surprised by a loss. Would be disappointed if VCU wins in runaway fashion.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We should be fully locked in and focused on for this game. First game in over a week, off of finals, nothing to focus on other than basketball.

I will be there and I will be LOUD.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Battle out front is key. Lewis is up and down but if he gets going he can put them over the top. Melvin Johnson is one of the top 40 players in the country.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It seems like our wins and losses this year are directly correlated to how well Adam Smith is shooting. So hopefully he had a good game.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From KS @ AJC article - link

Darn good D by VCU - " ...VCU’s pressure. According to VCU’s game notes, the Rams are ranked No. 6 in the country in turnover percentage (24.9 percent of all opponent possessions result in turnovers) and No. 2 in steal percentage (15.8 percent). "

Darn impressive.