Vad Lee Interview on 790 the Zone

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
this is not even close to being what I was referring too. Coach Johnson was the one who recruited Lee, and it didn't work out. It falls on him. Also our BEST win of the year was against DUKE, doing what... Running out of the diamond and throwing for touchdowns using the skill set of Vad Lee.

It's like Vad said, when you throw 4 touchdowns and we win and we didn't do it our way... that is a horrible statement to make against a coach. and yet here you are defending CPJ.
I'm really not defending CPJ. I just don't think Vad was as good as everyone thought he was. You are right, CPJ recruited Vad. He recruited everyone else on the team as well. Bottom line is, we scored 24ppg in the games that we lost. We gave up 37ppg in those games. I guess that's Vads Fault, o-lines fault, The BB and WR's fault. There are a lot bigger issues than Vad and / or the offense. We don't have the Jimmy and Joes on either side of the ball. Now whos fault is that? Georgia Tech all time win percentage is .594. It's not like our recruiting has always been good. Maybe until there are major commitments by the GTAA, We will never win more than what we are winning. Ever thought of that?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Well if you remember that offensive scheme for Tebow was TERRIBLE. They never scored any points.
A bit of revisionist history there. Tebow took over with the team having a 1-6 record and was able to QB the team to enough wins to get them to the playoffs AND beat Pittsburgh in the first round of the playoffs. Were they scoring 40 points per game? No. But they were scoring at least 1 point more than the opposition and that's the purpose of an offense.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We missed a lot of open receivers this year by throwing to the wrong guy, including a big one in the UGA game that could have turned out to be the difference maker.

How do you know that? I'm seriously curious here. Because this is one of my biggest pet peeves with Monday morning quarterbacks.

Ask any of the football coaches here how many times they expect their QB to NOT throw it to their number 1 option on a pass play if he is open. If any of them say that they do, then that coach is an idiot and won't last very long. Every play has certain reads. If #1 is open, throw it. If not, look to #2. If he's open, throw it. If not, go to #3, etc.

In no play that I've ever seen is there a "first look at all of your receivers and see if there is an uncovered guy...if so throw it to him. If there isn't, then start back at #1 and read your progressions from there".

Come on guys. It's so much easier to see wide open receivers on TV than it is to do it when there are people coming at you with the intention of slamming you into the ground. Let's not make ourselves look silly by saying that he threw to the wrong guy when we don't even know the route that was called.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
:( I thought I was a Monday Morning QB... But now that you mention Backseat HC... I am confused as to what I am...
I pretend to be those guys on the sidelines that face the crowd during the games in case one of them throw bottles and stuff onto the field.

Speaking of which guys, as per the community rules, no personal attacks on players (yes, even former players). If you see such a post, please don't forget to hit that report link. Would appreciate it.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I pretend to be those guys on the sidelines that face the crowd during the games in case one of them throw bottles and stuff onto the field.

Speaking of which guys, as per the community rules, no personal attacks on players (yes, even former players). If you see such a post, please don't forget to hit that report link. Would appreciate it.

I've read several attacks on Vad in this thread or does Vad didn't have his head or heart in the games not count.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I've read several attacks on Vad in this thread or does Vad didn't have his head or heart in the games not count.

I was going to say the same. Vad shouldn't be bashed in any shape or form imo. Great kid and GT lucky to have him the time that we have.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree here. CPJ and his staff have made changes...recruiting philosophy, bring in other offensive concepts, etc.

The issue isn't whether CPJ and his staff are willing to make changes. The issue to me is whether they are knowledgeable enough to implement those changes to be effective both on the field (Pistol/Diamond/Passing game, etc.) and off the field (recruiting).

Fair enough. I would reference our early success with the program to show the POTENTIAL for this program under this coach. IF we have the pieces, I am confident PJ can get it done. Honestly I think recruiting is far and away the top priority going forward.

Animal02

Banned
Fair enough. I would reference our early success with the program to show the POTENTIAL for this program under this coach. IF we have the pieces, I am confident PJ can get it done. Honestly I think recruiting is far and away the top priority going forward.

I agree....I think the real misstep was the regional recruiting focus......whether it was budgetary or a bad decision, with a place like Tech, you have to cast a huge net.

Second was the real lack of focus on defense from a coaching viewpoint.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
A bit of revisionist history there. Tebow took over with the team having a 1-6 record and was able to QB the team to enough wins to get them to the playoffs AND beat Pittsburgh in the first round of the playoffs. Were they scoring 40 points per game? No. But they were scoring at least 1 point more than the opposition and that's the purpose of an offense.

How is it revisionist history? Yea they won games but that doesn't change the fact the offense was bad. 18.5 points a game bad. They had a point differential in the neighborhood of -40 during that time. Those wins had a lot to do with the defense holding the opposition while the offense figured out what they were doing for 3+ quarters.

To me the purpose of an offense is to score points. The end. It's the job of a defense to prevent points. The end. I don't see being effective as some sliding scale that changes based on how good another unit of the (I guess either?) team is performing.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
How is it revisionist history? Yea they won games but that doesn't change the fact the offense was bad. 18.5 points a game bad. They had a point differential in the neighborhood of -40 during that time. Those wins had a lot to do with the defense holding the opposition while the offense figured out what they were doing for 3+ quarters.

To me the purpose of an offense is to score points. The end. It's the job of a defense to prevent points. The end. I don't see being effective as some sliding scale that changes based on how good another unit of the (I guess either?) team is performing.

The problem with this theory is that it's a team game. Certain offensive strategies will allow the defense to keep points off the board. See Chan Gailey era.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
All I got out of that interview, was Justin Thomas sounds like the guy that can run it like it should be! Johnson is set in his ways and Lee thought he could change Johnson.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Listened to it earlier today and haven't had a chance to comment until now. Some opinions:

1. Interviewers wanted to spear Johnson, absolutely without question. They were on a mission to stir up as much as possible. It is their job to do that so I am not surprised.
2. Vad is a wonderful young man. He was forthright and stopped short of sour grapes and trashing others.
3. On the comment after the Duke game: I can't tell you how many times I have stood in front of my team and told them congrats on the win, but we sucked doing it and here is why. It may not be what Vad wanted to hear. Whatever. Don't blame CPJ for that. Kids need to hear the good and the bad.
4. The notion that we were going to pass our way to better record this season is totally misguided in my opinion. We could have utilized the pass a little better, but if we went to that as our bread and butter we would have been sunk. We were fortunate against Duke, but defenses catch on fast. Michael Jordan shooting free throws left handed would not have been a good idea either even though he can do it I'm sure. You have to remember the entire roster is built to run primarily and throw as a surprise. We are not presently equipped to pass like Vad and many in the fan base would like too. Passing when they are looking for it is a whole other level.
5. Sounds like Vad and CPJ didn't really see eye to eye on some things. Oh well. CPJ runs the team, not Vad. He is doing the right thing by leaving and he is handling it the right way.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Listened to it earlier today and haven't had a chance to comment until now. Some opinions:

1. Interviewers wanted to spear Johnson, absolutely without question. They were on a mission to stir up as much as possible. It is their job to do that so I am not surprised.
2. Vad is a wonderful young man. He was forthright and stopped short of sour grapes and trashing others.
3. On the comment after the Duke game: I can't tell you how many times I have stood in front of my team and told them congrats on the win, but we sucked doing it and here is why. It may not be what Vad wanted to hear. Whatever. Don't blame CPJ for that. Kids need to hear the good and the bad.
4. The notion that we were going to pass our way to better record this season is totally misguided in my opinion. We could have utilized the pass a little better, but if we went to that as our bread and butter we would have been sunk. We were fortunate against Duke, but defenses catch on fast. Michael Jordan shooting free throws left handed would not have been a good idea either even though he can do it I'm sure. You have to remember the entire roster is built to run primarily and throw as a surprise. We are not presently equipped to pass like Vad and many in the fan base would like too. Passing when they are looking for it is a whole other level.
5. Sounds like Vad and CPJ didn't really see eye to eye on some things. Oh well. CPJ runs the team, not Vad. He is doing the right thing by leaving and he is handling it the right way.

FWIW, this sums up my position as well. I also thought the comment about the Duke game was telling. I remember after that game thinking more about the points we left on the field than about the fact that we scored 38. If you don't want a coach who's going to talk about your mistakes even after a win, than you don't want a competitive coach, imo.