UVA @ GT, 7pm ET, ACCNX

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
What adjustment did they make on Usher? He was getting to the rim whenever he wanted in the first half, but that wasn't there in the second

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
To have 3 of our best players go 0-10 from 3 is silly. Devoe is too good of a shooter to have performances like these. Something is just not right.

Can we not do this every time he has an off game please?

People made a big deal after the duke game saying he was going to transfer. He then averaged over 18 the next 3 games hitting over 50% of his threes.

Mike played well tonight. He took good shots. They just didn't fall. It happens.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Down the stretch of that game I wish we had put in Khalid for either mike or bubba. We really needed the defense down the stretch and just couldn’t get it.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
we dont need devoe to score to win. several examples to disprove that. but, against big/long matchups that are able to limit moses offensively, we do need devoe to score. cant have both moses and devoe shutdown offensively. but every shooter has off nights. devoe has had a few, and too many GT fans are hyper-focused on it because he was a 4-star recruit and had solid frosh and soph years. that does not mean he is immune to bad shooting nights.

love moses, but for those worried about him leaving after this year, i think almost every game vs size/length shows that he needs another year of development before pursuing an overseas or G-league career.

he had a few very nice 1v1 possessions on the perimeter vs huff. but overall, huff was able to neutralize him despite moses' speed advantage. that is a matchup he would expect to see regularly/constantly once he goes overseas or G-league.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think we need to win out in the regular season, but we need to win at least most of the remaining regular season games. Hopefully, we have an ACC Tournament and win a few there.
It’s “skin of your teeth” close right now to make it to the NCAAT.
Most? We need to win 7 games. 6...meh, I’m not sure that’s enough. So we can probably lose one game if we want to make the tournament.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
love moses, but for those worried about him leaving after this year, i think almost every game vs size/length shows that he needs another year of development before pursuing an overseas or G-league career.

he had a few very nice 1v1 possessions on the perimeter vs huff. but overall, huff was able to neutralize him despite moses' speed advantage. that is a matchup he would expect to see regularly/constantly once he goes overseas or G-league.

The argument for staying to develop more is often overblown and usually favors the other direction. You're not going to develop more in college as a student athlete vs treating it like a job. The main exception is for draft prospects who needs to prove one aspect in order to get into the lottery. Moses doesn't fit that criteria. He may or may not come back. I don't know. But if he does it

And anyways, Huff did good on Moses. Moses also did good on Huff holding him to just 6 points. Really, what Moses needs is to play the 4 spot. It's more natural for him and better lets him use his size against smaller players.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
we dont need devoe to score to win. several examples to disprove that. but, against big/long matchups that are able to limit moses offensively, we do need devoe to score. cant have both moses and devoe shutdown offensively. but every shooter has off nights. devoe has had a few, and too many GT fans are hyper-focused on it because he was a 4-star recruit and had solid frosh and soph years. that does not mean he is immune to bad shooting nights.

Devoe doesn’t have to score, but he can’t go 1-10. That’s different than not scoring. That’s taking opportunity away from other who can score. He has to be better than this

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
The argument for staying to develop more is often overblown and usually favors the other direction. You're not going to develop more in college as a student athlete vs treating it like a job. The main exception is for draft prospects who needs to prove one aspect in order to get into the lottery. Moses doesn't fit that criteria. He may or may not come back. I don't know. But if he does it

And anyways, Huff did good on Moses. Moses also did good on Huff holding him to just 6 points. Really, what Moses needs is to play the 4 spot. It's more natural for him and better lets him use his size against smaller players.
agree with all of this except to say that moses is unique in that he is such a late bloomer. and what i see is a 4-man who when he is on the perimeter still does not have the full skill set/level he needs. everything about him is a ~1 year behind normal because of his HS hoops experience/progression. another year of developing his perimeter shooting and perimeter driving is what i see as necessary. whether or not that happens at GT or as a bench developmental player in the pros is TBD i guess.

to be clear, not knocking him at all. amazing how he has progressed and how much potential he still has for growth. love him. hoping we get another year with him.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Can we not do this every time he has an off game please?

People made a big deal after the duke game saying he was going to transfer. He then averaged over 18 the next 3 games hitting over 50% of his threes.

Mike played well tonight. He took good shots. They just didn't fall. It happens.
Man I disagree. The dude has an off night every three games. And those shots were not just off...they were awful. Someone with his talent can have off night, sure...but he can’t be missing the rim entirely on multiple wide open catch and shoot opportunities.

My point is we have to be able to rely on him, and it seems that this isn’t the case...which is why we lose games like tonight. It’s a killer.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Man I disagree. The dude has an off night every three games. And those shots were not just off...they were awful. Someone with his talent can have off night, sure...but he can’t be missing the rim entirely on multiple wide open catch and shoot opportunities.

My point is we have to be able to rely on him, and it seems that this isn’t the case...which is why we lose games like tonight. It’s a killer.
Yep it’s pretty simple. He’s supposed to be one of the better players in the ACC. When he plays this poorly, they don’t have a chance.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yep it’s pretty simple. He’s supposed to be one of the better players in the ACC. When he plays this poorly, they don’t have a chance.
See the crazy thing to me is that they DO have a chance, but when he plays well we are possibly the best team in the league. When he doesn’t we are average...and what’s worse is he seems to struggle when we MUST win a game, so the struggle is amplified.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Man I disagree. The dude has an off night every three games

Not sure if you're just missing the point or intentionally ignoring it. Every time Devoe has an off game people speculate about it being more than just an off game. His body language is suddenly indicative of a deeper issue. He's going to transfer after the year. etc etc. He's streaky. It's who he is. It happened multiple times last year and has happened a couple times this year. After the duke game was absurd. It's like people haven't seen a streaky shooter before.

And yeah, we'd be better off if he were more consistent. But he's scored in double digits 11/16 games. He's had more games of scoring 19 or above than he has of scoring below 10. It sucks that two of those games were aginst UVA and probably cost us two big wins, but it's not indicative of anything more than a streaky shooter being the wrong kind of streaky.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Tony Bennett successfully employing the Bobby Cremins strategy of only playing 6 players.
Well technically 8... But for practical purposes, your right. 😎

Good news is that Moses "only" logged a hard 31 minutes.
Screenshot_20210210-214820.jpg

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
That was tough to watch. Defensive or bad offense(same diff) in the first half and again we look great until the last 5-6 minutes of the game and just implode. That Clark kid killed us in the 2nd half. It was what Alvarado usually does at home. Just got the script flipped on us.

That was another game that we really needed to take but nobody to blame but ourselves. We had about 20 open shots in this game that we just choked on. We looked like the better team for about 30 minutes of this game. I rate this game Choketastic

edit-wow. You look at those stats and we actually should’ve got our *** beat. 35 v 21 in rebounds? Maybe my viewing is biased.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
That was tough to watch. Defensive or bad offense(same diff) in the first half and again we look great until the last 5-6 minutes of the game and just implode. That Clark kid killed us in the 2nd half. It was what Alvarado usually does at home. Just got the script flipped on us.

That was another game that we really needed to take but nobody to blame but ourselves. We had about 20 open shots in this game that we just choked on. We looked like the better team for about 30 minutes of this game. I rate this game Choketastic

edit-wow. You look at those stats and we actually should’ve got our *** beat. 35 v 21 in rebounds? Maybe my viewing is biased.
35-21 in rebs wasnt the issue. they are bound to have more rebs bc our shooting was so bad. they did not kill us on Orebs (which is far more important stat than total rebs). and we won the TO battle decisively, so that further neutralizes rebs. the game came down to shooting %. ours was awful - as you pointed out it included a lot of quality looks that we simply missed.