UVA, Baseball

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think replacing Hall is the same thing as replacing Johnson. There was a very shallow pool of people who would even consider the football job at the time for reasons we have already discussed ad nauseum. But I think the baseball program is in a different place for a whole host of reasons. IMO, we would be selecting from a much deeper and more talented candidate pool when Coach Hall leaves or retires.
Yeah, the comparisons to football are nonsensical. There is no comparison for baseball to what we went through transitioning from Johnson's spread option offense.

Could we make an equally bad hire for baseball as we did with Collins? Of course, but that is true for every coaching change. If fear of some possible catastrophic future state is enough to prevent you making a change, then why even bother competing. Just because it could happen does not mean you do nothing and continue to settle for subpar performance out of your program.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think replacing Hall is the same thing as replacing Johnson. There was a very shallow pool of people who would even consider the football job at the time for reasons we have already discussed ad nauseum. But I think the baseball program is in a different place for a whole host of reasons. IMO, we would be selecting from a much deeper and more talented candidate pool when Coach Hall leaves or retires.
I totally agree but we as a fanbase tend to be more risk-averse than most (probably has something to do with the engineering side but I don't know), which is why I think that might play into the hesitation to switch. That's pure speculation on my part though.
The key to a change is keeping Tex happy IMHO. There is no doubt plenty of established coaches and hot up-and-comers would be chomping at the bit to get a chance here.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, the comparisons to football are nonsensical. There is no comparison for baseball what we went through transitioning from Johnson's spread option offense.

Could we make an equally bad hire for baseball as we did with Collins? Of course, but that is true for every coaching change. If fear of some possible catastrophic future state is enough to prevent you making a change, then why even bother competing. Just because it could happen does not mean you do nothing and continue to settle for subpar performance out of your program.
That wasn't my point but see above.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I totally agree but we as a fanbase tend to be more risk-averse than most (probably has something to do with the engineering side but I don't know), which is why I think that might play into the hesitation to switch. That's pure speculation on my part though.
The key to a change is keeping Tex happy IMHO. There is no doubt plenty of established coaches and hot up-and-comers would be chomping at the bit to get a chance here.

Maybe Tex is too loyal to Danny? I mean obviously it's his money and he can do what he wants with it but it's still possible.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe Tex is too loyal to Danny? I mean obviously it's his money and he can do what he wants with it but it's still possible.
I don't know but it's possible. I would think Batt and other alumni could massage this though. The key would be not to make it ugly but even for CDH it doesn't make sense to have an ugly breakup.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

As I just posted in the Retire Hall thread, Hall has been very successful in getting guys drafted to the MLB.

So if that's a Texteira priority, fine. Not mine, but it's his money.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
As I just posted in the Retire Hall thread, Hall has been very successful in getting guys drafted to the MLB.

So if that's a Texteira priority, fine. Not mine, but it's his money.
Singling out Teixeira is also a little short sighted, in my opinion. He may be the biggest name these days regarding donations to, and association with, the program and Institute. But you also have Wieters, Blackmon, Dietrich, Byrd, Murton (Matt, not sure if Luke made it to MLB), Patterson, Farmer, Nickeas, McGuire, Cameron, Palka, Bart, etc. that have all played for Hall and played in MLB (just off the top of my head, so likely missing a lot of guys and not including more recent guys like Parada, CT, Waddell, Malloy, X, etc. who have the potential to be there in the next few years). Not to mention Varitek, Garciaparra, and Payton who played under Morris but reached the CWS final with Hall, and Owings who played for Hall but transferred to Tulane. And Kevin Brown, who has a son on the current team.

I have no idea what any of those players think of Hall, but I think it's a lot more complicated than "what does Mark Teixeira think?"...

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Singling out Teixeira is also a little short sighted, in my opinion. He may be the biggest name these days regarding donations to, and association with, the program and Institute. But you also have Wieters, Blackmon, Dietrich, Byrd, Murton (Matt, not sure if Luke made it to MLB), Patterson, Farmer, Nickeas, McGuire, Cameron, Palka, Bart, etc. that have all played for Hall and played in MLB (just off the top of my head, so likely missing a lot of guys and not including more recent guys like Parada, CT, Waddell, Malloy, X, etc. who have the potential to be there in the next few years). Not to mention Varitek, Garciaparra, and Payton who played under Morris but reached the CWS final with Hall, and Owings who played for Hall but transferred to Tulane. And Kevin Brown, who has a son on the current team.

I have no idea what any of those players think of Hall, but I think it's a lot more complicated than "what does Mark Teixeira think?"...
Agree, I think I led to that shorthand as he is the most visible but we know there are more. Keeping them mostly happy in transition is key though and they may all rely on Tex to lead things for all I know (since he is most visible).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree, I think I led to that shorthand as he is the most visible but we know there are more. Keeping them mostly happy in transition is key though and they may all rely on Tex to lead things for all I know (since he is most visible).

I've used the same shorthand. Tex has his name on stuff, so he's the most visible.

@CINCYMETJACKET is right though, we have a lot of MLB alum who are Hall supporters for all he did for them.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was not able to watch or attend the game (glad I didn't). Did they invoke the mercy rule with a 14 run difference. That's embarrassing. Time for a change. Been mediocre too long now.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Has Borrell been fired yet? Appropriate end to the season - two blowout losses giving up double digit runs.
Yes he has
IMG_6797.jpeg