USF will test our pass D next week.

Milwaukee

Banned
He is the coach he can find something wrong about everything and knows what to look at on the plays. I don't think we have that many people who can look at a play and know what everyone on that play is to do. I have seen him tell what someone did wrong on a play we scored a TD. I'm a fan win or lose still a fan and just see no reason to talk bad about any player.
I graduated from Southern Tech but talking to people who graduated( got out) from Georgia Tech they tell stories about on a test they made a 40 and still got a B. Were they happy or did they drop out because they did get all the answers ? We won playing a vanilla game it was the 1st game I'll give them a passing grade maybe not an A but a passing grade. We just need to be ready for the finals ( VT , Miami , and uga)
This is not directed at you I don't know you and try not to call out anyone we are all Tech Fans and want to win.

That's fair. I disagree, but I see your view.

Milwaukee

Banned
This is PJ's job and he ought to be pissed...there are plenty of things to work on. As a fan, I have been through over 4 decades of these types of openers. There really is no correlation to what happens in the first game and the rest of the season. Bama in '81 (?) may be the most classic example. We need to get through the Clemson game (1 cream puff, 2 middle of the road teams and 1 giant) to really have enough data to start assessing the 3018 team. CPJ can be pissed...but it's way too early for me to be that way.

I don't think people are pissed, well maybe some. I think some of the die hard students of the game are concerned is all.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I had this notion that our defensive front would spend the day disrupting and blowing up Alcorn State’s backfield. I didn’t see much of that. I hope Woody has some new tricks up his sleeves. Since we got very little pressure on Alcorn State’s QB, should we really expect to get any pressure at all against anyone going forward, except, perhaps Bowling Green?

I’m hopeful that the reason we didn’t get much pressure was that Woody didn’t want to show his best stuff against an FCS team that we should defeat handily. USF will probably go back and review Woody at App State but that film will be with different players at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully we add Kenny Cooper to the mix next week. Passing is not where we had all hoped, but I think it is going to be about getting push from our OL to get the BB game going. We have a stable of thoroughbreds back there, if we can get push we will be okay because the outside running lanes will open up for our ABs after a steady diet of Benson, Mason, Howard.

Every team is a work in progress at this point.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Wait ! wait ! as you know some of our fans have wrote off this season after the first incomplete pass , after the 2nd incomplete pass some of them wrote off next season. It was the 1st game the coaches called a very vanilla game.

I hope you’re right but it would be hard to overstate the importance of the USF game. It is a must win. With our tough schedule, I think the results will be a good indicator of whether or not we will make it to a bowl game this year. I’m a CPJ fan but I’m not sure about his longevity if we don’t make it to a bowl again this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Highlights
Looks like they got two deflection interceptions. Both passes the Elon QB had all day. Looks like they had an extended drive before the INT, but USF stoned them until mid-3rd QTR.
QB does throw a good ball, doesn't look too mobile though. Big WR St Felix will be tough to deal with.

slugboy

Staff member
Those first two weren't even Marshalls fault.... He read the defense right and threw it to where the ABs should have been. Unfortunately the ABs did not read the defense correctly and chose the wrong route

How do you know that TM made the right reads and the A backs made the wrong ones? Did someone say that in postgame interviews?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Anything that went wrong in the Alcorn game was purely our own doing. CPJ would not waste the opportunity to establish a higher standard as he has always done. The game showed us both potential and weakness. But mostly athletically we are in the same range we have always been with some standouts. With clean play and better than average luck that's competing for the ACC and OB championships. We can do that this year but not if we don't clean up what was messy against Alcorn. It really is a leadership test for the team. Do they take Johnson's message as inspiration or as criticism? If the former, it may well end up working out like 2014 where early lack of sharpness was seen as opportunity for improvement.

I promise you CPJ is happier about not doing well in some aspects of the game than if we had been perfect. Why, just look to 2015, we blew away our first 2 games and went to Notre Dame thinking we just had to show up. We didn't have a decent passing game yesterday. But we did have over 500 yards of offense. Benson played about 1 quarter and we only had 4 Aback plays. And I don't care who you play, when you hold a team to less than 3 yards per play you are doing something. What I liked is that our 2nd and 3rd team defense shut out their 1s.

The people complaining about the people that are concerned need to listen to the head coach. He's concerned af right now. Why are you refusing to acknowledge this? If PJ said we were a well oiled machine and fans were still screaming that the sky is falling that'd be one thing, but that's not the case. He is clearly pissed off and concerned after yesterday.
Thank you !!!!

slugboy

Staff member
I am still concerned about pitch reads as I am the passing. Only 4 AB Plays. They were big when executed. Alcon didn't stack the box like Miami VT Clemson.

I think there were 10 or 11 A Back plays. We QB kept a lot that could have been pitched; a few of those seem either like a bad read or the QB being in a position where the pitch looked dangerous. I’m not sure if the QB was too far in, or the A Back was too far out. They were the kind of plays that Tevin Washington would have thrived on, but I’m not sure that keeping wasn’t the safer read for Marshall and Oliver.

Also, Harvin had a -1 yard rush. What was that?

Two things disappointed me yesterday. Marshall's lack of improvement in his passing game and lack of pressure we put on the Alcorn St. quarterback on pass plays. Sounds like Barnett can give us some trouble. Hopefully, RS freshman Kaleb Oliver will have another good game at DB.
However, we DID put pressure on the AS QB yesterday. Did we get sacks? No, or maybe one, but we still tackled him or his rb's for loss on several occasions, and that's due to pressure.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
However, we DID put pressure on the AS QB yesterday. Did we get sacks? No, or maybe one, but we still tackled him or his rb's for loss on several occasions, and that's due to pressure.
Also to add to this if he is running because of the pressure he is not looking down field you don't have to get a sack to mess up his timing.