USF will test our pass D next week.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Looks as if our pass D will be tested next week.
" Blake Barnett threw three touchdown passes and ran for a fourth score in his South Florida debut and the Bulls beat Elon 34-14 in Saturday night's season opener. The 6-foot-5, 217-pounder, the opening-game starter for Alabama two years ago who left the Crimson Tide in September 2016 and continued his career as a backup at Arizona State last season, completed 24 of 34 passes for 305 yards.

Barnett connected with Randall St. Felix on a 40-yard TD pass to cap USF's first possession, then hit St. Felix on a 52-yard completion that set up a 33-yard field goal by Jake Vivonetto for a 10-0 lead.
St. Felix gained 143 yards on seven receptions.
South Florida: The defense continued its opportunistic nature with two interceptions. The Bulls were ranked second nationally last season with 20 picks.

South Florida: Entered the season unranked after finishing No. 21 in last year's final Associated Press poll and will face Power-5 opponent Georgia Tech at home next Saturday. Bulls RB Jordan Cronkrite, a transfer from Florida, sat out with an undisclosed injury but is expected to play next weekend."

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
According to ESPN, this game isn't even gonna happen. Post-game writeup from yesterday says our next game is Pitt (@ bottom of the page). Geesh we get no attention....

Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets will step up and open ACC play Saturday at Pitt, where Tech has split a pair of games since the Panthers joined the conference in 2013.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=401013090

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Two things disappointed me yesterday. Marshall's lack of improvement in his passing game and lack of pressure we put on the Alcorn St. quarterback on pass plays. Sounds like Barnett can give us some trouble. Hopefully, RS freshman Kaleb Oliver will have another good game at DB.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
They only scored 34 on elon? They must have had some execurion issues like us
Elon made the FCS Playoffs last year. That means they are pretty solid. MUCH MUCH Better than anyone in the SWAC. Think Villanova level football. It's a solid if unspectacular win for USF, but a much better performance than us.

TBH, I will be surprised after seeing these results if GT wins next week in Tampa. Only way that happens is if we make huge improvements on offense (and especially in the passing game....at least enough to keep defenses honest).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
This game will be a dof fight to the end. Just goes to show you where our program is at. We are not trending up.
Hard to say we are not trending up. That's a bit harsher than my view. Too early to make that judgment. Our problems revolve around not having the necessary level of QB play yet. It is possible that TM will develop as the year progresses. The O Line seems solid and the D looks promising, our WR's seem solid. Defensive backfield looks young and faster than in prior years. Could use more speed at LB and on the D line. Running backs are good. Primarily QB play needs to step up, imho.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I had this notion that our defensive front would spend the day disrupting and blowing up Alcorn State’s backfield. I didn’t see much of that. I hope Woody has some new tricks up his sleeves. Since we got very little pressure on Alcorn State’s QB, should we really expect to get any pressure at all against anyone going forward, except, perhaps Bowling Green?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Lets wait and see what happens next week before we decide which way we are trending.
I don't believe we have seen the whole package yet and yes TM had a bad day ...
Wait ! wait ! as you know some of our fans have wrote off this season after the first incomplete pass , after the 2nd incomplete pass some of them wrote off next season. It was the 1st game the coaches called a very vanilla game.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wait ! wait ! as you know some of our fans have wrote off this season after the first incomplete pass , after the 2nd incomplete pass some of them wrote off next season. It was the 1st game the coaches called a very vanilla game.
Those first two weren't even Marshalls fault.... He read the defense right and threw it to where the ABs should have been. Unfortunately the ABs did not read the defense correctly and chose the wrong route

Milwaukee

Banned

The people complaining about the people that are concerned need to listen to the head coach. He's concerned af right now. Why are you refusing to acknowledge this? If PJ said we were a well oiled machine and fans were still screaming that the sky is falling that'd be one thing, but that's not the case. He is clearly pissed off and concerned after yesterday.

Deleted member 2897

I love that we have so many tall DBs now. Kaleb Oliver is 6’4”. Juanyeh Thomas, Jalen Johnson, and Zamari Walton are 6’3”. Tariq Carpenter, Lamont Simmons, Christian Campbell, Gentry Bonds, and Charlie Thomas are 6’2”. Juanyeh is a multi-sport athlete who has had some of the nastiest, filthy slam dunks in regular play in basketball you will see.

When someone heaves a long ball, we no longer have to be nervous.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I understand we looked less than stellar today, but I have zero faith in Charlie Strong. I think we will beat them and I’m not sure it’ll be that close. We will run our starters the whole game and for everyone worried about our passing game, we won’t have to pass much. Our guys will get up for the game and we’ll run all over them. I think we win by 10-17

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The people complaining about the people that are concerned need to listen to the head coach. He's concerned af right now. Why are you refusing to acknowledge this? If PJ said we were a well oiled machine and fans were still screaming that the sky is falling that'd be one thing, but that's not the case. He is clearly pissed off and concerned after yesterday.
He is the coach he can find something wrong about everything and knows what to look at on the plays. I don't think we have that many people who can look at a play and know what everyone on that play is to do. I have seen him tell what someone did wrong on a play we scored a TD. I'm a fan win or lose still a fan and just see no reason to talk bad about any player.
I graduated from Southern Tech but talking to people who graduated( got out) from Georgia Tech they tell stories about on a test they made a 40 and still got a B. Were they happy or did they drop out because they did get all the answers ? We won playing a vanilla game it was the 1st game I'll give them a passing grade maybe not an A but a passing grade. We just need to be ready for the finals ( VT , Miami , and uga)
This is not directed at you I don't know you and try not to call out anyone we are all Tech Fans and want to win.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He is clearly pissed off and concerned after yesterday.

This is PJ's job and he ought to be pissed...there are plenty of things to work on. As a fan, I have been through over 4 decades of these types of openers. There really is no correlation to what happens in the first game and the rest of the season. Bama in '81 (?) may be the most classic example. We need to get through the Clemson game (1 cream puff, 2 middle of the road teams and 1 giant) to really have enough data to start assessing the 3018 team. CPJ can be pissed...but it's way too early for me to be that way.