USF Stuff

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Some USF things:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Some USF things:

Okay, this may be a dumb question but I’m going to ask anyway. I’m assuming that we practiced against Woody’s defense in the Spring. If that’s true, will practicing against his one gap 3-4 help us in preparing for the 3-3-5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
Okay, this may be a dumb question but I’m going to ask anyway. I’m assuming that we practiced against Woody’s defense in the Spring. If that’s true, will practicing against his one gap 3-4 help us in preparing for the 3-3-5?

We played some 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 last year. I don’t know how Strong plays 3-3-5, but while I don’t think it’s like Roof’s, I would guess our current defense looks different

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...710/usf-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Their Defensive Coordinator is Brian Jean-Mary (yes, he used to coach here). They had a top 30 defense last year. The Falcons just drafted Sanat as a D Tackle from them. Their defense is supposed to be talented. Possibly weak at DT this year.

BJM uses his linebackers as hybrid DEs. I’m getting the idea that USF shows a lot of strange looks.

They apparently have a big play/feast or famine offense. Woody may have his hands full. They aren’t supposed to be a good rushing team, but I guess we’ll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
We played some 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 last year. I don’t know how Strong plays 3-3-5, but while I don’t think it’s like Roof’s, I would guess our current defense looks different

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...710/usf-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Their Defensive Coordinator is Brian Jean-Mary (yes, he used to coach here). They had a top 30 defense last year. The Falcons just drafted Sanat as a D Tackle from them. Their defense is supposed to be talented. Possibly weak at DT this year.

BJM uses his linebackers as hybrid DEs. I’m getting the idea that USF shows a lot of strange looks.

They apparently have a big play/feast or famine offense. Woody may have his hands full. They aren’t supposed to be a good rushing team, but I guess we’ll see.

Thanks for the explanation. [emoji106]

slugboy

Staff member
Illinois played USF last year. An Illinois fan made offensive and defensive breakdowns. It’s not a technical breakdown as much as “what is this Illinois player doing?”

USF Offense against Illinois Defense:
USF plays at least some run/pass option. They have a lot of speed. QB floats a few passes, but he’s throwing for some serious yardage. An interesting sweep in there too.

USF Defense against Illinois Offense:
They cram 6 right up on the line of scrimmage. Lots of negative plays, getting a ton of penetration. USF’s defense just kills Illinois

Here’s highlights from last November’s UCF-USF game. USF is in white. UCF doesn’t play flexbone, but there’s some triple option from them. High scoring game

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
USF was #30 in FEI D and #28 in S&P+ D last year.

Last year they had a DT named Deadrin Senat who is now on the Falcons. They had another DT named Bruce Hector who is now on the Eagles.

S&P+ guru Bill Connelly projected their D's S&P+ Rk to fall from 28 to 51.

I think we're much better than his projection and that they're worse.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Illinois played USF last year. An Illinois fan made offensive and defensive breakdowns. It’s not a technical breakdown as much as “what is this Illinois player doing?”

USF Offense against Illinois Defense:
USF plays at least some run/pass option. They have a lot of speed. QB floats a few passes, but he’s throwing for some serious yardage. An interesting sweep in there too.

USF Defense against Illinois Offense:
They cram 6 right up on the line of scrimmage. Lots of negative plays, getting a ton of penetration. USF’s defense just kills Illinois

Here’s highlights from last November’s UCF-USF game. USF is in white. UCF doesn’t play flexbone, but there’s some triple option from them. High scoring game

Wow, what a game that was (UCF-USF)! Lots of incredible plays made on both sides of that one. Not a lot of defense though.
I definitely would tend to underestimate teams like these.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
The question will be how our defense handles Blake Barnett. Last time we saw a truly great qb we got torched (NCST 2010 and Russel Wilson), but that was many DC's and players ago, so hopefully this time we'll be better. If the defense gets some pressure (with more blitz's than we showed yesterday) then I feel good. If they don't then we may be in a shoot out.

techfan4

Georgia Tech Fan
Was just checking to see who was on their defensive staff for experience vs. us/our offense... none other than Brian Jean-Mary is their Defensive Coordinator.

So, he's got some experience coaching against our offense (every day for 2 years).

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Those illinois play breakdowns were pretty dang funny. Loved it when the USF guy just blew up a receiver mid-route on the slant. Interesting coverage approach :). Also - either Illinois has some good Dlineman or the USF Oline is/was trash. They manhandled the OL on a bunch of plays.

The Briles system is tough, but as long as we don't get beat over the top we'll be alright. I think we've got some good cbs out there that won't be beat and/or are tall enough to swat those floaters. We'll see. I'm actually pretty positive after seeing the illinois game. It will also be fun to watch us defend a Briles type offense. It's a fun offense that can whoop ya. I expect to see a bunch of "bender" routes over the middle for 25 yards, followed by some TDs but more FGs. The offense is easier to defend in the redzone, especially with the height we have at DB.

I'm not too worried about their defense. If they are weak on the Dline, like some have said, we can dive them to death and eat clock. Tempo, Briles offenses just love sitting on the bench for 20 minutes. ;) And our DBs will get plenty of breathing time between series.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
While involved w texas h s football in 90s and w baylor while brillescwas there, I say we have the perfect system to defeat it.

They will play fast , spread the field , and will run their WR long on every play.

The qb will look for miss matches due to out if position defense . Then qb will look for fast rb verses slow lb matchups. On the snap he will make a quick read and if not wide open will look to fly pattern wide receiver that is the best match up.

We must not play 2 slow lb. Brant and curry should be ok till they get tired. We need to move around so its difficult to get read on coverage. Count ever run as a win unless we blew a coverage as they will find it. Rotate the db so they are fresh.

The key is for our offense to make drives. I would guess their defense will do everything they can to get the ball back to their offense. Lots of scheme and pressure to get us behind schedule.

They want to get us worn out on defense and find the best mis match

If we can run plays on offense that will give the defensive coaches time to make adjustments on the sideline. ( bait the qb into a throw but jump the route w a safety while a back side CB blitzes)

Key is offense just loading up their lunch buckets and going to work. Drop these guys in the grease.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
While involved w texas h s football in 90s and w baylor while brillescwas there, I say we have the perfect system to defeat it.

They will play fast , spread the field , and will run their WR long on every play.

The qb will look for miss matches due to out if position defense . Then qb will look for fast rb verses slow lb matchups. On the snap he will make a quick read and if not wide open will look to fly pattern wide receiver that is the best match up.

We must not play 2 slow lb. Brant and curry should be ok till they get tired. We need to move around so its difficult to get read on coverage. Count ever run as a win unless we blew a coverage as they will find it. Rotate the db so they are fresh.

The key is for our offense to make drives. I would guess their defense will do everything they can to get the ball back to their offense. Lots of scheme and pressure to get us behind schedule.

They want to get us worn out on defense and find the best mis match

If we can run plays on offense that will give the defensive coaches time to make adjustments on the sideline. ( bait the qb into a throw but jump the route w a safety while a back side CB blitzes)

Key is offense just loading up their lunch buckets and going to work. Drop these guys in the grease.
We get Bruce back at MLB this week!