USA Today Not Loving Tech

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Not trying to be negative but have you seen our schedule? Not to mention we have a new defense scheme.

Clemson, @UGA, Miami, @VT, @Louisville, @ UNC....

8-9 wins this year would be a fantastic year. My guess is 6-6 or 7-5

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
No, actually it does not. Toilet paper is a non-negotiable, essential part of life. without, life is not worth living. I will run out of milk, cheese or honey at my house....but I have never, ever once in my life run out of toilet paper or gin or coffee.

On the other hand, the only time I have ever read the USA today is while staying in a hotel that puts on on the floor outside of my door. These 2 things are polar opposites as far as necessities are concerned.
;):LOL:(y)

Deleted member 2897

Not trying to be negative but have you seen our schedule? Not to mention we have a new defense scheme.

We play 7 teams who won 8+ games last year.

Georgie by comparison plays 3.

Its much easier to win 10 games if you play a bunch of patsies.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone really blame them? We’ve had two losing seasons in three years and haven’t had a winning record in conference since 2014. No matter what the reasons are, that kind of performance over and entire classes career isn’t going to get a lot of attention. I think we are better than that, but I don’t see why anyone aside from our fan base or our program would. Let’s just hope we prove them wrong.

I don’t expect a lot of likes on this, because I don’t like it myself, but I definitely see where they are coming from.

Deleted member 2897

Does anyone really blame them? We’ve had two losing seasons in three years and haven’t had a winning record in conference since 2014. No matter what the reasons are, that kind of performance over and entire classes career isn’t going to get a lot of attention. I think we are better than that, but I don’t see why anyone aside from our fan base or our program would. Let’s just hope we prove them wrong.

I don’t expect a lot of likes on this, because I don’t like it myself, but I definitely see where they are coming from.

While this makes a lot of sense, you also have to look at who we play. While we play some pretty tough games, we also play Alcorn State and Bowling Green, who were both bad. USF lost a lot of folks. Louisville lost a couple of their only players. Lamar Jackson bailed them out of some horrid play. Pitt and UNCheat were assy last year. And Duke and Virginia aren’t exactly tearing it up. Last year only 4 teams in the ACC had better ACC records than we did. We had double digit leads on every team except 2 that went to the CFP.

If you’re going to make predictions, you should at at least do a little more than throw darts at a board. We have a few games that will be EXTREMELY difficult to win. But we also have several games that we will be favored in.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s the offseason, and there’s not much to talk about. I don’t know how we’re going to do. Predicting football is a crapshoot. Some of y’all need to calm down. USA Today doesn’t owe us anything. This is essentially an op-ed piece. If they don’t think we’ll be good, they’re entitled to their opinion. Of course, they’ll be eating their words when we bring home the CFP trophy. Full steam ahead, boys!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

I dunno. It's hard to do adequate research on 300 teams, but it doesn't take much looking beyond our W-L record to anticipate a lot better than a P5 bottom dweller. Looking at # of returning starters / upperclassmen is a common way to project results, and it's one that has good reliability with very little effort. Computer rankings or basically any evaluation that ignores W-L and looks at performance on a relative scale is also a much better predictor of future performance and can require very little effort. In these ways, we are primed for a large improvement from last year. But there are lots of ways to rationalize less improvement or perhaps stagnation. But I really can't find anyway to look at this team and expect regression as they have. It might happen, but I might also win the Powerball next week. I think regression for our football team is significantly more likely, but I don't find either expectation justifiable.

I am a little weary of our health. We just lost arguably our best overall player but at a position with quality athletic depth. We just lost a starting OL where there is a lot of reason for worry for every health issue that arises. We may have a healthy Andrew Marshall and an eligible Jack DeFoors, which will salvage my dreams for a possible special season. Unless we get hit by more bad luck, though, we ought to at minimum reach bowl eligibility and may compete for our division.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Yes and no. I mean, despite our last two crappy years, we still split with Duke and UVA and finished ahead of both of them in the ACC standings each of the last two years, yet are ranked below both in this poll. Not saying we should be picked 1st, but maybe mid-ACC. I mean, besides 2015, we have finished .500 or above in the ACC 9 of the last 10 years.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

We play all those teams (except Louisville) every year, so that really shouldn’t be a surprise. That being said, we beat two of those teams last year, DEFINITELY should have beat Miami (took ridiculous luck for them to pull out a miracle at home against us), and Louisville is losing Lamar freakin Jackson. 4-2 against just those teams is not even a far out thought.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I say 8-4. Loses to Clemson VT UGA and some head scratcher somewhere in between.
September will make or break the season.
While USF loses a lot, its a tough road game at a solid G5 program and Strong is a good coach. Pitt is a tough one as well. Narduzi is solid and any ACC road game is tricky. Plus Clemson a week later and BGSU after that.
Anything worse than 4-1 in September isn’t good.... At all! 3-2 and there’s still hope but, lose 3 in a row to USF,Pitt and Clemson and 2018 turns into 2015 really quick.

I’m holding out hope last year lot a fire in this team and 9 returning starters on O know their rolls and this thing clicks.
Defensively, it could be interesting. The new D is going to be tested early with the road games and CU. Hopefully being aggressive and a new scheme help.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I say 8-4. Loses to Clemson VT UGA and some head scratcher somewhere in between.
September will make or break the season.
While USF loses a lot, its a tough road game at a solid G5 program and Strong is a good coach. Pitt is a tough one as well. Narduzi is solid and any ACC road game is tricky. Plus Clemson a week later and BGSU after that.
Anything worse than 4-1 in September isn’t good.... At all! 3-2 and there’s still hope but, lose 3 in a row to USF,Pitt and Clemson and 2018 turns into 2015 really quick.

I’m holding out hope last year lot a fire in this team and 9 returning starters on O know their rolls and this thing clicks.
Defensively, it could be interesting. The new D is going to be tested early with the road games and CU. Hopefully being aggressive and a new scheme help.
With fingers crossed i'm thinking GT goes 9-3 with losses to Clemson,Miami and UGAG:vomit:

Deleted member 2897

With fingers crossed i'm thinking GT goes 9-3 with losses to Clemson,Miami and UGAG:vomit:

We get both Clemson and Miami at home. Ugag hasn’t beat us over there since 2012. Those will all be tough games, but I especially think Miami is beatable. Clemson barely been getting into the 20s against us lately - we just need to score some points to put some pressure on them.