US Soccer just blew it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
First, I am a very "casual" fan when it comes to soccer. I'll watch the World Cup when it rolls around and I'll even watch some of the qualifying matches (I watched the Panama match the other night). I know most of the bigger names on the national team and I know a few names of players from other countries. With that being said, I've never gotten the vibe that the US, as a country, cares enough about soccer to put forth a legitimate contender. I know there are a ton of youth leagues and such but outside of the US, soccer is king around the world. In every other country, their best male athletes play soccer. In the US, our best male athletes play other sports. Even if we had made the World Cup, we would never be considered a serious threat. I may be way off base on my opinion, but this is the vibe I've always felt about US mens soccer.

The problem with the US Soccer structure is that it's an inverted pyramid in terms of player development. It cost a LOT of time and money to play organized soccer. The better you get at the sport, and if you have the desire to move up, it cost even more time and money. The US is the only country in the world that's like that. That's why we don't necessarily get the best talent in soccer even though the US is one of the biggest countries in terms of population. Even if a kid does make it to a high level, the system is so structured and rigid that our kids lose their ability to create that makes good players special. I mean, how many of these types of highlights have we seen from an American soccer player?

In other countries, kids pretty much pay for their cleats and show up to play. Or, they play in their barefeet. Like America with other sports, kids in other countries can use soccer as means to improve their economic and social situation. In basketball, talented kids get scooped up by big AAU teams who pay for all their expenses. Travel, uniforms, and sometimes even shoes are given to these kids so they can play. All these kids need to do is work hard and show up. Same thing for football. If kids want to play, their local team pays for all their equipment, and there's a bus that takes them to games. Kids grow up with other kids playing basketball in driveways, or football out in the front yard or neighborhood streets all night. In other countries, there are large groups of kids who meet up at a dirt patch and kick homemade soccer balls until they can't see the ball anymore, or spend hours "trying sh!t" with their friends. How often do you see that in America? Usually, you show up to a soccer field with friends, and you get kicked off because they don't want you to tear up the grass fields. The only way to really play soccer in America is to pay to play.

The shame of the US system is that soccer is PERFECT for kids who don't have the size or height to play basketball or football. The best player in the world, Lionel Messi, is 5'6 120 lbs. America's best player right now, Pulisic, is 5'8 135lbs. Two of the best to have ever played, Pele and Maradona, are both under 5'8. Skill, and brain for soccer is more important than size. How many kids were lost to football or basketball because they weren't big enough or tall enough that could have been stars in soccer? I don't blame those kids, because if you're poor, how do you justify paynig thousands of dollars a year and time spent away from work when there are other sports you can play for free?! Soccer in America is a rich family's sport, whereas soccer in other countries is considered a "poor" man's sport.

Volumes of books can be written on this topic. Until the US addresses player participation and development at the very youngest levels, the US will continue to get what we're getting.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The problem with the US Soccer structure is that it's an inverted pyramid in terms of player development. It cost a LOT of time and money to play organized soccer. The better you get at the sport, and if you have the desire to move up, it cost even more time and money. The US is the only country in the world that's like that. That's why we don't necessarily get the best talent in soccer even though the US is one of the biggest countries in terms of population. Even if a kid does make it to a high level, the system is so structured and rigid that our kids lose their ability to create that makes good players special. I mean, how many of these types of highlights have we seen from an American soccer player?

In other countries, kids pretty much pay for their cleats and show up to play. Or, they play in their barefeet. Like America with other sports, kids in other countries can use soccer as means to improve their economic and social situation. In basketball, talented kids get scooped up by big AAU teams who pay for all their expenses. Travel, uniforms, and sometimes even shoes are given to these kids so they can play. All these kids need to do is work hard and show up. Same thing for football. If kids want to play, their local team pays for all their equipment, and there's a bus that takes them to games. Kids grow up with other kids playing basketball in driveways, or football out in the front yard or neighborhood streets all night. In other countries, there are large groups of kids who meet up at a dirt patch and kick homemade soccer balls until they can't see the ball anymore, or spend hours "trying sh!t" with their friends. How often do you see that in America? Usually, you show up to a soccer field with friends, and you get kicked off because they don't want you to tear up the grass fields. The only way to really play soccer in America is to pay to play.

The shame of the US system is that soccer is PERFECT for kids who don't have the size or height to play basketball or football. The best player in the world, Lionel Messi, is 5'6 120 lbs. America's best player right now, Pulisic, is 5'8 135lbs. Two of the best to have ever played, Pele and Maradona, are both under 5'8. Skill, and brain for soccer is more important than size. How many kids were lost to football or basketball because they weren't big enough or tall enough that could have been stars in soccer? I don't blame those kids, because if you're poor, how do you justify paynig thousands of dollars a year and time spent away from work when there are other sports you can play for free?! Soccer in America is a rich family's sport, whereas soccer in other countries is considered a "poor" man's sport.

Volumes of books can be written on this topic. Until the US addresses player participation and development at the very youngest levels, the US will continue to get what we're getting.

Preach, brutha.

The money it takes to get any level of real coaching/devel at the youth level is insane. Both soccer and baseball.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

@Techster very insightful post, thanks

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@Techster very insightful post, thanks

Yeah, it shocked me too when I say who it came from. Kidding, kidding

But yeah, it's spot on. One thing I've also started to notice is the politics in all these "kids" sports. Like you can't hardly just show up at registration time thinking your kids gonna have a spot. They want you to have committed to offseason workouts, a full year (spring and fall IIUC) and all kinds of other nonsense. They don't want the kid to play anything but their sport. On and on and on.

I'm like, 'Dude, my son's 8. We're paying you, not the other way around." It's a racket.

northgajacket

Banned

Great Post @Techster , the pay to play system has to go.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I LOL'd:

#10, is Pulisic btw. Just watch his highlights over and over for the next four years, or until the US qualifies for the WC again. It'll give you hope:

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
To be fair there are only about three other teams worth a damn in the women's game and none of them are in CONCACAF. Plus the USWNT failed miserably at the Olympics and if recent Youth Tourney results are an indicator then the USWNT might have some tough times ahead once the vets retire.
How do you keep vets & encourage newer player? $$$$. No reason the men should get so much more than the women. Need $$ to promote youth tourney & get younger players started.

northgajacket

Banned
How do you keep vets & encourage newer player? $$$$. No reason the men should get so much more than the women. Need $$ to promote youth tourney & get younger players started.

The vets will eventually be too old: Lloyd is in her 30's, Morgan is approaching thirty, Same with O'Hara, Press and Heath and the new guard has not been good enough to beat North Korea in the last two U-20 tournaments. Look at FIFA's payouts for prize money between men's and women's competitions, it is not just a US Soccer issue. Most nation's do not put anywhere near the amount of money that the US does for women's soccer ( Brazil hardly funds their team, One Mexican player had to sleep in her car during camp, Trinidad and Tobago's team was not given any money for meals for one tournament). The youth tournaments are FIFA tournaments not a US Soccer tournament. I am in agreement that USWNT players should get better compensation, but this is far bigger than just the US. As for the question of why the women's team wins while the men's team doesn't is an apple and oranges issue. The USWNT basically started women's intl. soccer and the rest of the world has had to play catch up, while it is vice-versa for the men.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
first failed world cup qualification since 1986. absolute embarrassment. whole staff and administration should resign and the old guys need to all retire from the national team. too complacent and played horribly
Staff should have resigned that night; or at least the very next morning. that is how it is done when there is honor and pride involved (like in Argentina).