Upgrades coming to BDS......

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I see the hawks are going to renovate Phillips. Can we rent the thrillerdome to them and pay for a golf simulator and laser tag? Gotta keep up with clemson ya know.

I know your post is TIC, but there's some merit to the gist of it.

If you look at Phillip's arena, I would say the venue is booked 75% of the year if not more with various events outside of being the home for the Atlanta Hawks. The GA Dome has events scheduled throughout the year so it's not just sitting there outside of the 8 home games for the Falcons.

Maybe one of the things GT needs to focus more on is using BDS and McCamish for events like concerts (which BDS did a few times last summer) and maximize the value of the space.

If you look at Phillip's arena, I would say the venue is booked 75% of the year if not more with various events outside of being the home for the Atlanta Hawks. The GA Dome has events scheduled throughout the year so it's not just sitting there outside of the 8 home games for the Falcons.

Maybe one of the things GT needs to focus more on is using BDS and McCamish for events like concerts (which BDS did a few times last summer) and maximize the value of the space.
And get a lot of big bucks in the process.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

This.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Does Tech have the convenient parking for doing this during the school year?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't see the downside. It's a limited term contract. Free money as they say.

Are they definitely going to upgrade BDS? Or use the windfall to pay down debt?

My brother in law went to the Bama - UT game at Knoxville. Hated it. Seats were too close, steep, crappy concessions. Lot of history, but he hated the game experience.

I love BDS. Where else can you watch the festivities and glide into your seat 15 min before the game?

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck

Been saying that for years. No reason for these two venues to sit empty all summer other than the occasional camp that produces no revenue.

Animal02

Banned
I was just thinking on BDS updates!

I think replacing all the bleachers with modern stadium seats (think GA done with cup holders) would be a very nice upgrade for the Gameday experience. The seats would be gold for whole stadium. Currently the seats are "closer" together than I think they could fit with the stadium seats (they are uncomfortably close) which would probably drop max capacity some, but would reduce number of empty seats. Based on some research it would cost $4-5M.
You obviously have never been to the "Big House". for a game. The seat width at BDS is a luxury compared to in Ann Arbor.

Animal02

Banned
Use the money to open BDS for the students, like it was in the '70s. A bunch of cameras and some visible guards.
The increase of student fees at the time was supposed to make those facilities more available to students....that was the claim/ rationale for hoping them......it wasn't long afterward that BDS got locked up.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The increase of student fees at the time was supposed to make those facilities more available to students....that was the claim/ rationale for hoping them......it wasn't long afterward that BDS got locked up.
That's the trade off for a natural surface instead of the artificial surfaces we used for a few decades.