Updated win loss projections

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I was at 6 in the regular season and a seventh win in a bowl game, and think I am still there. If we win against Pitt I would say 7 and 8 respectively.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel 6 wins is about right and obviously a big key would be GT to get to a bowl. We will be big underdogs to ND and GA. I think we will be plus or minus 7 points or less (in terms of being favored or underdog) in every other game. My guess would be favorite over Duke, pick em against VA, VT and maybe BC. Slight underdog to Miami and obviously Pittsburgh this week. Realistically we could be an underdog against everyone remaining on our schedule but Duke. But I think most lines will be small.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Now that we are a few games in and starting to see the makeup of our team.

Defense is starting to look like the real deal. Very happy with that
Offense. Still dont trust the offense play calling. But Sims may have needed the bench time someone of his caliber needs to help put it all together. (You dont need to be the best play caller when you have a really good QB. (Clemson I am looking at you)

I still think the head coach is a good bit of a joke. But seeing the defense come together has started earning some head coaching points for me. He will need to do a lot more show me before I ever think he is legit after what he has done to Tech football the first two years with all of those historic level losses plus the NIU loss this year.

Having said all of that, I think we could go bowling this year with right at 6 wins. I NEVER would have thought that how the season started. Props to the team and coaches!
Because of the loss to Northern Illinois, we are precisely at the point College Football News said we would be heading into the most pivotal (their words) game of the season. Win this one against Pitt with a more congenial handshake, I assume to follow, and Tech will be poised to have the much anticipated break out season as long as they beat Duke the following Saturday. Lose this one and things get dicey. At preseason, I agreed with most of the magazine experts and picked 4 wins. Still holding to that unless we beat Pitt.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Agree with this. Oddly enough i looked at the UNC board last Friday to get a sense of how they viewed the game, something I rarely ever do. Most of them (like most here) saw a 38- 17 type of game with them winning. Oddly enough there were several who picked GT and they all mentioned ATL as being a house of misery and sadness for them in the same light most of us think of Charlottesville. (remember the hook and ladder?! :mad::banghead::yuck:)
Damn it 4shotB, there you go ruining my morning. I might as well go cut the grass and walk a few miles to forget that play.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Taking us out of the equation, is anyone on our schedule as good as we originally thought? Probably BC is better. We’ll learn a lot about Ugag this week against Arkansas.
u[sic]ga is probably hoping people overlook Clemson tanking in the rankings the last 2 weeks. Their best win is over a 2-2 Clemson team that has scored a maximum of 14 against FBS competition in regulation. Next best win is a 2-2 USCe with a 1st year HC. Arkansas will reveal much more about the dwags than the last 4 games have.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I could see anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3 with a loss to uGAg. Our ceiling is extremely high now. Although, we have seen how low our floor can be too. It all depends which gatech shows up to play!

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
After the UNC win and especially considering the inconsistency demonstrated by our Coastal opponents so far, I’m back to my initial expectation of six wins. I think this is a bowl-bound team. We should beat Pitt, Duke, UVA, and either VT, BC or Miami.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
At the beginning of the year, I had us at 8-4. I like how the Pitt game sets up for us. I expect us to win this Saturday. Can we win in Charlottesville? Can we win in Miami? BC lost their QB. Maybe we go 2-1 in these three games with an upset over ND or UGA. Going 8-4 and playing for the conference championship is very possible. Although Yates has played great, Sims gives us that type of ceiling.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Winning the Coastal should be the goal each year, and this year no different.

I think we can go 5-3 in-conference record (assuming we beat Pitt and VT) and still win it. That means we need 4 wins out of the following 6:

Pitt
@Duke
@UVA
VT
@MIA
BC

Our toughest games are at home. I think 2-1 at home and 2-1 on the road is certainly possible between these games. Just need to root for coastal chaos elsewhere.

@ND and uGA are likely losses, but its CFB, you never know.

This will get us 6 wins - bowling and maybe even an ACCCG app against the weakest atlantic division opponent in years - theoretically our best chance at winning a conference title. Not to put the cart before the horse, but there is a realistic path at it.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Agree with this. Oddly enough i looked at the UNC board last Friday to get a sense of how they viewed the game, something I rarely ever do. Most of them (like most here) saw a 38- 17 type of game with them winning. Oddly enough there were several who picked GT and they all mentioned ATL as being a house of misery and sadness for them in the same light most of us think of Charlottesville. (remember the hook and ladder?! :mad::banghead::yuck:)
I generally DO look at other team's boards, obviously not to get a sense of how the opposing team feels, but how deflated their fans could be if we " clown stomped "
them, like we did last Saturday.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Now that we are a few games in and starting to see the makeup of our team.

Defense is starting to look like the real deal. Very happy with that
Offense. Still dont trust the offense play calling. But Sims may have needed the bench time someone of his caliber needs to help put it all together. (You dont need to be the best play caller when you have a really good QB. (Clemson I am looking at you)

I still think the head coach is a good bit of a joke. But seeing the defense come together has started earning some head coaching points for me. He will need to do a lot more show me before I ever think he is legit after what he has done to Tech football the first two years with all of those historic level losses plus the NIU loss this year.

Having said all of that, I think we could go bowling this year with right at 6 wins. I NEVER would have thought that how the season started. Props to the team and coaches!

If Sims didn't have the yips vs. NIU we would have carved them up too.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1. 5 wins staff gets another year
I really like that Thacker changed the defense to a 3 3 5. In past w the 4 down linemen our blitzing lb ran into our linemen.
This coaching decesion gives me hope he can come up with some thing else before ND UGA . By then they will be ready for the 335.
Our OC has done a nice job of getting everyone involved - 2 point trick play to tight end was fun.

At CGC hire all i wanted by end of year 2 was to show flashes of GOOD. With cgc keeping all of the previous staffs incoming recruiting option based class plus Covid, i think they are on schedule. Now we are 1-1 in acc and imo have a good chance of going 50/50 the rest of the way.

Then the real games that will show the metal of our oc dc staff. I am very optinistic we are mid pack in acc. Because we play nd and uga tough we get a special invite to a bowl ( exemplary play against clemson, unc, nd , uga.)

Case 2 We win 6 games and loose to Duke- they are both fired.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I generally DO look at other team's boards, obviously not to get a sense of how the opposing team feels, but how deflated their fans could be if we " clown stomped "
them, like we did last Saturday.

I don't do that but does anyone else remember some type of blog called Saturday Schadenfreude (or some such) where the sadistic author would scour the internet and messaage boards for messages from losing teams. I only saw it when it was linked here but that thing was funny. Is it still a viable site/blog????

Any good candidates for that blog that you ran across? I can't imagine they were happy. That wasn't just a loss, that was a physical beatdown.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Every Day Should Be Saturday used to have a regular “This Week in Schadenfreude” post. That was a great site before it commercialized—really hasn’t been the same since it got sucked in by SBNation. Haven’t read it in years.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
For some reason I feel like we will be ready for Pitt, I know it's hard to get up for 3 in a row, but something is happening with this bunch as they find themselves I sense. We play so many on defense and that can have a tendency to work in more than two games I sort of sense. We're not scared to play folks if they're ATL during the week, It may keep the effort going from week to week. Think Sims is past his hiccups, but they will definitely try and stop his running IMO. As we all know he really damages folks with his legs.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
For some reason I feel like we will be ready for Pitt, I know it's hard to get up for 3 in a row, but something is happening with this bunch as they find themselves I sense. We play so many on defense and that can have a tendency to work in more than two games I sort of sense. We're not scared to play folks if they're ATL during the week, It may keep the effort going from week to week. Think Sims is past his hiccups, but they will definitely try and stop his running IMO. As we all know he really damages folks with his legs.

I think it is a bit of pick your poison when you've got Sims, Gibbs and either DS or Mason in there. It's not that the other team is going to take something away, it's if you have a second good option when they do. I think we have that now. Also, Yates.