Updated Roster

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
• I'm not so thrilled with so many players gaining so much weight. If a player gains over 15 lbs or so in the off season, I'm always apprehensive about them. Some can do it without a loss of flexibility - I'm not worried about Quinney putting on 20, for instance - but I'd rather see more gradual weight gains. But, again, you never know what'll happen when they reach the field.

I thought they only updated the weights once a year? So we're comparing the weights from Fall camp last year to this year. Not an offseason gain, but a 12month gain. Can anyone confirm?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

Well, we’ll definitely look good getting off the bus. I counted 22 players over 300lbs. Now, if we can just block and tackle...and run, throw, and catch...and kick. We’ll have one of the biggest OLs we’ve ever had.

Some notables...
Jordan Williams 6’6 330
Kenny Cooper 6’3 325
Ryan Johnson 6’6 325
Zach Quinney 6’6 315
Jack Defoor 6’5 310
Mike Minivan 6’3 307
Wing Green 6’7 305
T.K. 6’3 312
Mike Lockhart 6’4 302

There are a ton more, obviously. Also, our secondary is massive.
I like the new name for Mikey, even if it was a typo/autocorrect...

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

Well, we’ll definitely look good getting off the bus. I counted 22 players over 300lbs. Now, if we can just block and tackle...and run, throw, and catch...and kick. We’ll have one of the biggest OLs we’ve ever had.

Some notables...
Jordan Williams 6’6 330
Kenny Cooper 6’3 325
Ryan Johnson 6’6 325
Zach Quinney 6’6 315
Jack Defoor 6’5 310
Mike Minivan 6’3 307
Wing Green 6’7 305
T.K. 6’3 312
Mike Lockhart 6’4 302

There are a ton more, obviously. Also, our secondary is massive.

2 deep at OL will probably average more than 6-4/315 with no one under 300. That's a big group.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I coulda swore I saw someone call him that on here last year, so I’ve been calling him that ever since. I think it’s perfect haha.
Haha! I’ve been away for a while so I’m not aware it that one is official. I was telling a buddy yesterday that William Lay started most of the games at C last year, and he’s probably #3 now behind Coop and the MiniVAN.

I really thought our OL showed huge improvement down the stretch last year. I hope they get the opportunity to take an even bigger step this year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Griffin is fast, but I believe he will be the strongest runner on our roster, so I don’t mind the weight gain. He was benching 315 9 times in high school.
Did you watch how he did it? By bridging. If he had done that with his rear on the bench I'd be more impressed. Maybe he can by now.

Presently, Mason is easily our strongest runner. Griffin needs a hole; if he gets one, he can turn on the jets and make it work. If he doesn't he didn't show much capability last year of making one for himself. Indeed, the only two RBs who did that were Mason and Howard (who, btw, I expect to see back at RB soon, if we play, and Bruce back at LB). Perhaps that's why he put on the extra weight. If that works for him, three cheers. If it cuts down on his speed and flexibility, then not so much.

Btw, since the Stinger mentions it, looking at the films form high school and last year I think Griffin is faster then Gibbs. Gibbs is cuter, by a small margin. I'd rate them about equal in being able to pick up a hole. Provided one is available, that is. And that's the big question.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I really thought our OL showed huge improvement down the stretch last year. I hope they get the opportunity to take an even bigger step this year.
I did too, but that may have been because our opponents weren't as stout.

I think the big thing now is to find 7 OLs who can play and have them avoid injury long enough to learn to play as a unit. I'm an old (very) OL myself and I can testify to the vastly increased efficiency of blocking when everyone knows their responsibilities and the strengths and weaknesses of their teammates. The people who benefit the most from this are a) the QB because he has a better sense of what plays will work and how to run them and b) the OC who has a better idea of what to call. It's the same with other areas of the game, of course; more experience working with each other = better play. But this is, imho, especially important in the OL. Depth is important, but the main thing is keeping that 7 man unit that sees the field most of the time healthy. If we can do that, so much the better.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I did too, but that may have been because our opponents weren't as stout.

I think the big thing now is to find 7 OLs who can play and have them avoid injury long enough to learn to play as a unit. I'm an old (very) OL myself and I can testify to the vastly increased efficiency of blocking when everyone knows their responsibilities and the strengths and weaknesses of their teammates. The people who benefit the most from this are a) the QB because he has a better sense of what plays will work and how to run them and b) the OC who has a better idea of what to call. It's the same with other areas of the game, of course; more experience working with each other = better play. But this is, imho, especially important in the OL. Depth is important, but the main thing is keeping that 7 man unit that sees the field most of the time healthy. If we can do that, so much the better.

yep, but the RBs also love the OL that's efficient/productive.As an old RBack,I know you " run defensively" if you get used to not having a hole.(so when you have one it is a slow take)