Update on Jordan

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That word is definitely in my working vocabulary. I hope it isn't a "swear" now.

It always was, given what it's short for. That being said, I still remember my family's reaction to Maude on TV telling someone to go suck ... an egg.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, this is encouraging. Let's hope that Matthew doesn't find the injury recurring (bet it doesn't since he had surgery to correct the problem) and that he give us the leadership we need next year. As usual, he seems pretty confident, but that's nothing new.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
That word is definitely in my working vocabulary. I hope it isn't a "swear" now.
I know they're not allowed to say it at the schools they go to in Wisconsin. I found out because I said it one time a couple years back in front of them. No one was upset or anything but they made a passing comment on it. I find it a little funny though. I imagine your fine.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I tell my 6 year old it's not nice to say, just because I'm afraid she's going to ask what, exactly, does it suck, and then I'm going to have to lie to her for the first time.
Wind? Hind tit? The life out of the party? ... all kinds of decent options in my mind. When I say it, I never think of it as what I think some in this thread suggest that it definitively refers to.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wind? Hind tit? The life out of the party? ... all kinds of decent options in my mind. When I say it, I never think of it as what I think some in this thread suggest that it definitively refers to.
I thought it meant sucks lemons and gives you a sour face.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I tell my 6 year old it's not nice to say, just because I'm afraid she's going to ask what, exactly, does it suck, and then I'm going to have to lie to her for the first time.
Tell her it's short for sucking chest wound. That is what it means, right?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
During the 1992 Presidential Election, there was "A giant sucking sound!" that was frequently proclaimed. Maybe that could be the reference. Yeah! Yeah! that's the ticket!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, "suck" is vulgar, but that isn't much of a bar in conversation these days. I think it's in the same category as "hell's bells"; i.e. a mild oath that nobody much thinks twice about.

Btw, trying to get kids to stop saying it is about as likely to work as abstinence classes to stop them from experimenting with sex (spoiler alert = no chance).