Update on GT FB Recruiting Initiative

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Want to know what’s worse? I donated on 12/30 using the website and the transaction still had not hit my credit card as of two days ago. Haven’t checked since, so maybe it has, but that seems a bit silly don’t you think? This is even AFTER I told Tech the transaction had not posted.

It seems like they don’t have their act together and it’s a bit disturbing.

Want to know what’s worse? I donated on 12/30 using the website and the transaction still had not hit my credit card as of two days ago. Haven’t checked since, so maybe it has, but that seems a bit silly don’t you think? This is even AFTER I told Tech the transaction had not posted.

It seems like they don’t have their act together and it’s a bit disturbing.
I don't know if mine has hit my credit card yet or not. I guess I should check. But if you (like I) are planning on deducting that gift on your 2017 taxes, I would assume that the acknowledgment of receipt that Tech probably automatically sent should be sufficient proof. That is assuming you got such an email. I did.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We should offer a new major: Fundraising, Science, & Technology. Then raise money for the AT Fund constantly as part of the class, using different techniques and seeing the results. :cigar:
They already have it. It's a masters program for people who get a degree in - hand to God - college administration. And they do run survey experiments in some programs.

Deleted member 2897

Just left them a message, the donation I gave on 12/31 to this initiative hit my credit card immediately, but even still today it doesn't show up on the AT Fund's report for my lifetime giving. Doesn't make any sense. I left them a message to make sure it didn't end up in some black hole somewhere. Bizarre.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Dammit I'm an Engineer not an English major reading person thingy. :smuggrin:
I'm an engineer too but I did come in second in my 5th grade spelling bee. Lost on the word "chiken". [emoji4]

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm an engineer too but I did come in second in my 5th grade spelling bee. Lost on the word "chiken". [emoji4]

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Another engineer here - As did I, both of my children were tremendously good at spelling (daughter competed at the state and national level, my son and I at the county level), but I think it is because once I see a word, it is kind of like a photographic memory situation. Before there was spell check, there was "me". :)

With all of that said, the best engineers I have known in my career were NOT good spellers.

Another engineer here - As did I, both of my children were tremendously good at spelling (daughter competed at the state and national level, my son and I at the county level), but I think it is because once I see a word, it is kind of like a photographic memory situation. Before there was spell check, there was "me". :)

With all of that said, the best engineers I have known in my career were NOT good spellers.
Nor particularly good with grammar either.

You are correct, SS. But, for me, thank the Lord for the humanities!! Those classes helped my GPA while at GT.
I had a junior HS English teacher who drilled us with proper grammar and spelling as well as at least a moderate knowledge of great literature. I thank the Lord for her. I don't remember taking any humanities courses at Tech, other than German, but what I learned from that teacher prepared me for any such courses I might have taken, as well as for the study of a foreign language.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I had a junior HS English teacher who drilled us with proper grammar and spelling as well as at least a moderate knowledge of great literature. I thank the Lord for her. I don't remember taking any humanities courses at Tech, other than German, but what I learned from that teacher prepared me for any such courses I might have taken, as well as for the study of a foreign language.
In high academic tract at my h s I took latin 1, 2, 3 and advanced math and chem 1 2 . Did great in all the tech classes at gt, but barely got C average in english classes.
Got out- did little engineering at exxon and at other jobs. After a few years as a manager all i did was listen, talk, write proposals, reports, letters, etc.

Wish i had better h s training

Married,a journalist/ writer / marketer.

In high academic tract at my h s I took latin 1, 2, 3 and advanced math and chem 1 2 . Did great in all the tech classes at gt, but barely got C average in english classes.
Got out- did little engineering at exxon and at other jobs. After a few years as a manager all i did was listen, talk, write proposals, reports, letters, etc.

Wish i had better h s training

Married,a journalist/ writer / marketer.
I had similar courses in HS, except instead of Latin 3, I had a course called Classical Civilization, which included many of the great works from Greek and Roman times. Having taken 2 years of HS chemistry, I was able to take a special exam and get an exemption from freshman chemistry at Tech. I got a BS in Phys and an MS in NE, and spent almost all my years of employment writing computer programs. Not sure what my Tech degrees contributed to that work, but at least they got me jobs to begin with.