Update on GT FB Recruiting Initiative

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
+1

I'm a lifelong sidewalk fan. (Dad got out in 1952. He raised me right.)

Despite being a FB season ticket holder, I've yet to hear from GTAA about this initiative through my e-mail address that they use to contact me. Like you, I also learned of this initiative through various Tech message boards — GTSwarm, the Hive, Stingtalk, etc.

I'll be making my donation today, but the lack of communication on this from GTAA leaves me SMH.

Just to further hit the nail on the head, agree with everything in this thread. I'm a 2013 alumni, football season ticket holder for 3 years and I've only heard about this initiative through this board. I also didn't realize Roll Call is not the same thing as AT Fund. Admittedly, after looking at them more closely, it should've been clearer to me.

Some of my two cents / suggestions:

For the more recent alums, outreach via social media is (perhaps obviously) the way to go - eye catching graphics, clear links to websites, emails, etc. Personally, having someone call me <1-2 years after graduation asking for money is a negative. After GT tuition, still paying off any debt, etc etc, it's hard to reach in my wallet and give $100 - from my point of view I just paid tuition to GT and they're asking for money again, just left a bad taste in my mouth. Thankfully that's now changed :)

Also consider google search results. For me, the first 5 results when searching "Georgia Tech Athletics Donation" doesn't link to the AT Fund.

For recent alums, maybe target outreach those who went to FB games. Hopefully there's a database that shows if a student ID was scanned to get into a game, list of past swarm students, attendance through other organizations, etc. AND please advertise the recent alumni discount more! Had no idea it existed until we 1st renewed our season tickets.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Personally, having someone call me <1-2 years after graduation asking for money is a negative. After GT tuition, still paying off any debt, etc etc, it's hard to reach in my wallet and give $100 - from my point of view I just paid tuition to GT and they're asking for money again, just left a bad taste in my mouth. Thankfully that's now changed :)

The GTAA has a program set up for students and recent alumni for that very reason. You might be able to still take advantage of one year of it.(I don't know if you can or not, but worth checking out)

1st_10_fy18.png

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
That's a very small number of retweets and likes for an account with 50k followers. It should honestly be pinned and they probably shouldn't have announced it the same day as we officially announced the DC. It should have also gone out during the week and not on Saturday. Do we have a social media team at Tech?

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
The GTAA has a program set up for students and recent alumni for that very reason. You might be able to still take advantage of one year of it.(I don't know if you can or not, but worth checking out)

1st_10_fy18.png
This is great, wish I knew about it sooner! Thanks for the info! Definitely going to check it out and spread it to my friends who graduated after me.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I am really surprised that you are only now realizing that the Roll Call is totally separate from any athletics donations (AT Fund). I got out in 1966, and it was made clear from the start that the two donations were totally separate and unconnected.

I am impressed , and thankful, so many are not only realizing the $ help the GTAA needs but are willing to put their money where their mouth is. That is great and how it will turn things around.

But I am not at all surprised that we probably have many confused as to the segregation between the AA and the GTAA.

Our family, years ago, realized that the AA thought of the GTAA as a necessary evil mainly composed of the unwashed masses. Yet they are there to siphon off any glory they can when a football MNC or Final Four appearance happens.

The remaining times it is as if they wash their hands of the athletic part of GT. Just compare these 2 entities at our school to our competiton.

That is why we have taken the academic side out of our estate planning and only focus on the athletic side. We believe they not only should coexist, but HELP each other.

But the GTAA does need, obviously, to get the message out using , frankly, more common sense.

As for the school, maybe the Admissions Office can get their beloved dwag friends to contribute.

DroppedOut

Georgia Tech Fan
This a great way for sidewalk fans to contribute. I didn't stick around to get a degree here so I've missed out on donation drives and can't attend games, but I'll always be a fan. Great idea! However, perhaps PayPal should be added as a payment option going forward.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This a great way for sidewalk fans to contribute. I didn't stick around to get a degree here so I've missed out on donation drives and can't attend games, but I'll always be a fan. Great idea! However, perhaps PayPal should be added as a payment option going forward.
The best fans in the world are gt sidewalk fans.
The worst fans in the world are uga sidewalk fans.

Thanks for being a volenteer yellow jacket. There should be a tee shirt for you guys.
SIDEWALK YELLOW JACKET
BEST FANS IN THE WORLD

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
That's all well and good, but unless you connect to sites like this one on which all kinds of information is passed along, there's no way for the average Tech fan to even know about this initiative. I have been a donor and season-ticket holder since 1967, and what has been posted on this site is the only thing I have heard about it. No emails, no letters in the regular mail, no calls, NOTHING. If they want to reach this goal, then they'd better start reaching out to everybody.

Make most of the above the same with me... I'm 19 years behind...
This site and a tweet (that I just happened to look at) is all that I have seen on this.
As the POTUS would tweet ... #Sad

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Damn good idea regarding PayPal as an option.

Also, a link to the letter was included in the email I got about the 2018 schedule:

Same here, but my question is why only include a link that most people probably won't bother to access? Why are they not sending out the info in a separate email? Sure seems that that would make more sense than just burying a link in an email about tickets.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Same here, but my question is why only include a link that most people probably won't bother to access? Why are they not sending out the info in a separate email? Sure seems that that would make more sense than just burying a link in an email about tickets.

This is where you have digital folks making marketing decisions, IMO. The copy isn’t very good (if you compare it to what works) ... and it is a one shot deal. The most effective call to actions occur on the 7th or 8th contact. From where I sit ... this whole campaign is not very well executed.

It’s sad really. Tech has some of the most accomplished alumni in the world. And they seem scared to death to actually use any of them.

Deleted member 2897

To your point. I’ve given, and know all about this.

I’ve opened the email with the schedule like 3 times already and never saw the fundraising part!

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
IMO
If presented with a commitment by gtaa to recruit in Texas and with use of Alumni Association list , Texas would raise more than Florida and south ga.
The major city suburban schools are all top rated in football and academics
Lots of big city kids who know about Gt

I went thru south ga on business a few years ago. Of course I wore Gt shirt. I found zero Gt folks at restruants, motel, gas stations. But boy oh boy did the "regular folks " all have their uga gear. No sidewalk fans here. Recruiting in south ga with academic issues and uga competition has to be tough.
Yes, it is a tough area based on the above but so far this year Graham, Thomas and if we get Barrett they are all from South GA, so some kids are ready to hear a different narrative.

To your point. I’ve given, and know all about this.

I’ve opened the email with the schedule like 3 times already and never saw the fundraising part!

I copied what I received and am pasting part of it here. The very last line of what you see below has a link to the fundraising.
Is this not what you received?

388fdf44891f33c024b46cff11bc34b2.jpg

The ACC announced the 2018 football schedule today! Georgia Tech's schedule is highlighted by six home dates including key match-ups vs. Clemson (Sept. 22) and Miami (Nov. 10).

Click Here for a Full Breakdown

Season Tickets will go on sale on Thursday, February 22.

Interested in season tickets for the 2018 season? Click Here to Receive More information

(Note: Calendar Sync may take up to 12-24 hours to appear)

As Georgia Tech continues to invest in the football program, an anonymous donor has stepped forward to lead the effort to enhance our recruiting staff with a generous gift of $200,000 on a match-funded basis, matching 50% of the first $400,000 of a commitment for the two-year program.

More than $100,000 has already been raised. Learn more & contribute

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

I copied what I received and am pasting part of it here. The very last line of what you see below has a link to the fundraising.
Is this not what you received?

388fdf44891f33c024b46cff11bc34b2.jpg

The ACC announced the 2018 football schedule today! Georgia Tech's schedule is highlighted by six home dates including key match-ups vs. Clemson (Sept. 22) and Miami (Nov. 10).

Click Here for a Full Breakdown

Season Tickets will go on sale on Thursday, February 22.

Interested in season tickets for the 2018 season? Click Here to Receive More information

(Note: Calendar Sync may take up to 12-24 hours to appear)

As Georgia Tech continues to invest in the football program, an anonymous donor has stepped forward to lead the effort to enhance our recruiting staff with a generous gift of $200,000 on a match-funded basis, matching 50% of the first $400,000 of a commitment for the two-year program.

More than $100,000 has already been raised. Learn more & contribute

It’s exactly what I received, but I never made it that far!

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
Exactly! I didn’t get that far either (hell, I didn’t get past the schedule!). Another GT rookie mistake. My marketing firm is always preaching about simple and short communications. No one looks at long emails. And never ever combine multiple subjects / concepts.

Now a dumb question: remember “the day of giving” over the holidays lead by tstan? Was that a different campaign or the same thing?