Uniform Thread

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Go with under armour in 2018. Period.

Nike isn't as cool as it used to be and they have more accounts so we'd be just another team. Under armour is the up and comer. I had a couple of younger male clients recently (won't get into what i do) and surprisingly they were both wearing under armour underwear. Its definitely a cool brand to the younger generation these days.

The potential extra money that Russell would pay us, if it's even as much, won't be worth the added caché of being a UA team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
UA (or Nike) wouldn't go crazy with our uniforms unless we let them. GT gets final say on what design actually makes the field. Personally, I prefer the throwback jersey design to go with the white helmets (sans stupid honeycomb design) and gold pants. Then have 1-2 games where we wear the "special" design unis.

GT doesn't have a lot of fans to buy unis, but GT itself brings a lot to the table in terms of market size, and being in a hub for high school talent in the two biggest college sports (football and basketball). We're also located in the biggest market in the Southeast, and GT is in a P5 conference. If you don't think location to high level HS talent is important, then this will interest you:

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/04/27/dispelling-a-georgia-tech-under-armour-rumor/

However, he also acknowledged the reality that what apparel company a school is aligned with makes a difference in recruiting.

“It doesn’t seem like it ought to make a difference, but it does make a difference,” he said. “It’s a fact of life these days.”

He further noted that Russell Athletic is not involved in sponsoring grassroots football and basketball in the way that other companies (such as Nike and Under Armour) are.

As the fellas in the GT Basketball forums will tell you, the shoe companies (more specifically, their handlers) are a big influence with kids. With the proliferation of football camps, passing camps, skills coaching...college football is quickly being overrun by the same type of guys on the AAU scene. With the facilities GT has, and central location in one of the most fertile recruiting territories in both revenue sports, we may see GT as a key host for those type of events once a major apparel company signs us.

This is one of the reasons why GT may be a bigger player in the future not only in terms athlete positioning for Nike/Under Armour/Adidas, but also signing higher level guys for both sports.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
"Crappy" uniforms don't seem to hurt Alabama recruiting!!!! Nor help Arizona State a lot either.

1202892.png

6254608.png

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
My history teacher is a die hard Bama fan. He's an older guy and will sometimes leave the smart board on where we can see what he's viewing on his Computer. Today he was on the Alabama message board and a lot of fans were talking about those results and how they used to love the old school GT and Penn St uniforms. One guy even said something that was pretty funny "Bama's uniforms might be "Lame or Boring" but once the players see the rings and how many players we put into the league I don't think it matters anymore." Quick Side note: Why aren't we telling the Athletes were recruiting right now that by the time they arrive and see the field that Tech will no longer be licensed by Russell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
My history teacher is a die hard Bama fan. He's an older guy and will sometimes leave the smart board on where we can see what he's viewing on his Computer. Today he was on the Alabama message board and a lot of fans were talking about those results and how they used to love the old school GT and Penn St uniforms. One guy even said something that was pretty funny "Bama's uniforms might be "Lame or Boring" but once the players see the rings and how many players we put into the league I don't think it matters anymore." Quick Side note: Why aren't we telling the Athletes were recruiting right now that by the time they arrive and see the field that Tech will no longer be licensed by Russell?

How do you know we are not telling them that?

This is obviously not regarding uniforms, but there is a full-page ad by Russell in the latest "The Buzz" magazine, depicting casual wear for the fan.....3 blue tops, one gray top, and one blue and white top. The only ONLY gold in the picture is in the GT logos on the shirts. As far as I am concerned, that is unacceptable. Our primary colors are gold and white, dammit, not blue and white with a little gold. And regarding uniforms, what's with the blue shirts (they're not called jerseys in baseball, are they?) that the baseball team has been wearing. I HATE them.

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck

How do we know that we won't be a Russell school?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This is obviously not regarding uniforms, but there is a full-page ad by Russell in the latest "The Buzz" magazine, depicting casual wear for the fan.....3 blue tops, one gray top, and one blue and white top. The only ONLY gold in the picture is in the GT logos on the shirts. As far as I am concerned, that is unacceptable. Our primary colors are gold and white, dammit, not blue and white with a little gold. And regarding uniforms, what's with the blue shirts (they're not called jerseys in baseball, are they?) that the baseball team has been wearing. I HATE them.

CDH has been on a Love Blue scheme for several years (if he in fact is responsible for such)

wreck1

Georgia Tech Fan
When I was at Tech I had a coach that would say "all Penn State does is wear their practice uniforms and kick your ***!". I don't know why that came up.