Film Room Understanding is healing... GT v ND 2015

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
EJ and GT got hit #$@%'d (hosed?) on that holding call. With all the holding ND I can't believe the refs called that one.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking that to counter the three dl, 5 lb look, couldn't we just run a traditional running play, straight up blocking? It seems you could get 5-7 yds every time just pushing behind the ol. Would be easy to audible as well.

EXACTLY what I was thinking.Quick give to Skov behind Devine and should get 4 everytime(5 + is not likely with 3 LBs converging.). Too simple?

rosebud78

Georgia Tech Fan
EXACTLY what I was thinking.Quick give to Skov behind Devine and should get 4 everytime(5 + is not likely with 3 LBs converging.). Too simple?
At the very least, it would keep them honest, like the deep ball pass. Straight up or zone blocking, you could get into the lbs pretty quickly. Keep it simple stupid, KISS. I'm glad you responded, was thinking I was only one:)

yojackets777

Georgia Tech Fan
When CPJ was on camera giving a play to the A back I could read his lips. How hard is it to get someone who is a trained professional to read the play going in? It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
When CPJ was on camera giving a play to the A back I could read his lips. How hard is it to get someone who is a trained professional to read the play going in? It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult.
That seems like it would be a timing nightmare. The Defense would have to be on the field to anticipate without largely any subs. Transmission of data would have to be instantaneous. Wouldn't put it past ND because they have the resources, however seems a more difficult path than building a better schematic defense.

RussianOffense

Georgia Tech Fan
Has any D lined up in that 3-5 triangle look before? That was really mind blowing.

For what it's worth, Johnson said the defense was in triple stack and we motioned out of it and got them into a 3-4, which is what we wanted. I think by "triple stack" he is referring to that 3-5 triangle: 3 linemen and 3 linebackers (i.e., triple stack), then 2 safeties outside the linebackers.

If you go to about 3:10 of Longestday's video, I think you can see the motion Johnson is talking about.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
That seems like it would be a timing nightmare. The Defense would have to be on the field to anticipate without largely any subs. Transmission of data would have to be instantaneous. Wouldn't put it past ND because they have the resources, however seems a more difficult path than building a better schematic defense.
pretty hard actually. Like someone said the timing would be key. Lip reading is not that exact. Plus the word coding of the messe would have to be known in advance and/or instantaneously understood. What if the play was something like "Gold roundhouse 3?" you would shave to know all the terms for all of the plays.
And be able to lipread, comprehend and transmit to the defense instantly.
More likely their consultant told them 16 tricks to try - near illegal, illegal and not to keep trying to disrupt.