Film Room Understanding is healing... GT v ND 2015

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Has any D lined up in that 3-5 triangle look before? That was really mind blowing.

Our passing game just looked totally out of sync. JT just seemed to scramble out of the pocket before needed and that seemed to really disrupt his passing. A few connections might have changed how ND was playing.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Really miss those Perkins and Hill type Abacks that can just plow ahead and get two more yards.
Another plus to those guys was they were able to make some really clutch catches (think Hill's game winner against GSU). Our new guys have shown they can make catches in practice and during blowouts, but that's it. I did like the way Skov looked on those swing passes though...not sure why we didn't try them earlier in the game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Curious why no smoke routes. Look at the 15:48 mark of your video. Messick is on the wide side with the corner 8 yards off the LOS. A smoke route there gets you an easy 5, a whole lot more if he stiff arms his guy and beats him.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Longest, thanks again.
Just some thoughts for your reference

They seemed to know more about the play before the snap than is possible. Noticed them cheat up on several pass plays which if they were runs would have been a disaster. Yes They were flying to the ball based on blocking but seems like they were too many at the point of attack
We're we running the plays slower than MSU and FSU - it seemed that they were waiting for JT on the pitch?

Watched from end zone with binoculars and it appeared that the noseguard was a beast had a sole goal of neutralizing the center. Question about his Technique - after first few series - He seemed to get right up on center , fire out low and GRAB him. Any guard going to fold who went in low or falling off into body = easily called for chop . He seemed to be intent on making anchor - at line of scrimmage so the lb could scrap to the runner? Burden in space is bueatiful

Also
In high school the team that gets up fastest wins. I look to see the color of those running around 4 seconds after play - it was not the guys in white.
Their guys were up and after play fast and if we were slow in the pitch it looked like half the team was there to back up the tackles. Wonder if we are blocking then forgetting to get up or BRIDGE up quickly to get just a piece of the next guy trying to pursue ?

Again thanks

Last edited:

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Always seem to enjoy your video analysis. Great work man. The ND D did a great job of alignments to confuse JeT presnap. They looked to bounce around like a soccer goalie trying to prevent a PK so that if they made a false step it wasn't too costly. Seems like the Oline hasn't gotten into a rhythm this season yet... missing key blocks and taking the wrong man. Can't do that against top 10 teams and turn the ball over and shank punts and miss FGS on the road and expect to come out with the W. JT had happy feet in the pocket and didn't trust his protection even a little bit. I hope he starts practicing with the WRs more because CPJ isn't going to put the necessary emphasis on reps in that category. I feel better about our chances going forward but we have a ton to clean up b4 Duke. They are a smart team that won't make alot oF mistakes to give the game away.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Watched from end zone with binoculars and it appeared that the noseguard was a beast had a sole goal of neutralizing the center. Question about his Technique - after first few series - He seemed to get right up on center , fire out low and GRAB him. Any guard going to fold who went in low or falling off into body = easily called for chop . He seemed to be intent on making anchor - at line of scrimmage so the lb could scrap to the runner? Burden in space is bueatiful
Is this legal, and if so, why does every team not do this to us?

This essentially does two things for the defense: it takes Burden out of the play, which frees up a LB or Safety that Burden would be sprinting to engage and like you said, would ultimately lead to a chop block being called if one of our Guards attempts to block him. Is there no such thing as defensive holding on the line?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

This essentially does two things for the defense: it takes Burden out of the play, which frees up a LB or Safety that Burden would be sprinting to engage and like you said, would ultimately lead to a chop block being called if one of our Guards attempts to block him. Is there no such thing as defensive holding on the line?

Have to go back and look for this myself. Defensive holding is real, but rarely called at the LOS. I have seen DLs do some tricky stuff to us to try and get a chop block call.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Have to go back and look for this myself. Defensive holding is real, but rarely called at the LOS. I have seen DLs do some tricky stuff to us to try and get a chop block call.
Typically, DL's do all they can to shed OL's not cling to them. It's pretty weird that the opposite tactic works against us. The refs aren't trained to look for it, so the smart DC's do it and get away with it. It's up to us to point it out, I guess.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

It's not too unusual for teams to line up both tackles on the shoulders of the center in order to slow him down.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Typically, DL's do all they can to shed OL's not cling to them. It's pretty weird that the opposite tactic works against us. The refs aren't trained to look for it, so the smart DC's do it and get away with it. It's up to us to point it out, I guess.

I was in the end zone so could not clearly and conclusively see holding by nose tackle. I saw from behind what looked like a wrestling match that often ended in a 600 # pile of football players where the ball was centered.
Could be in error so wonder what others saw. ( At orange bowl espn made available the recording from the wire field camera. Would love to see this view of the game via NBC)

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Seems like rocket toss is a perfect play when they line up like they did on that first play in the video. We didn't seem to run but one that I can recall from Saturday.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
ND had great athletes on their defense, and they were well prepared to disrupt our offense. But, also I believe CPJ was out-coached. It hasn't happened often, but I think we're watching it here. Let me explain:

At 7:41 of the video, we ran a triple option - the safety came flying in from outer space to make the tackle. Now it's 3rd and 3.

CPJ saw it and on the next play (at 8:05 in the video) calls for a pass with 4 verticals to take advantage of the open space with no safety. Except the safety immediately took a step back into coverage this time. Almost as if he KNEW the play. I think they did. I think ND scripted some defensive play calls. Those play calls included a safety flying into the play on one play ("eye candy"), then correctly assuming CPJ would call a pass on the next play.

/

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Kind of reminded me of MTSU scores again when they had our defensive signals ( but not that bad) . Maybe they were that well prepared and very talented.
We never got them off balance.

Both defenses played like hair on fire.

rosebud78

Georgia Tech Fan
I was thinking that to counter the three dl, 5 lb look, couldn't we just run a traditional running play, straight up blocking? It seems you could get 5-7 yds every time just pushing behind the ol. Would be easy to audible as well.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Very well put together @Longestday, brightened my gloomy outlook on the game. If they were manned up on our WRs on those counters where we didn't have the play side AB, why wouldn't they run down to the safety carrying the CB with them most of the way? His momentum would also be goin away from the play.