Under 150 total yards

alagold

Helluva Engineer
THe DEF was about what I expected. Maybe better in pursuit but less than rushing the QB.WE pitched a shut-out which is hard.(Will get better but lack bulk vs tough teams I fear.)
BUT this is a MUCH lower opponent to judge against..
We won by 41 .Last time we played them, 60.-- The Off scored 34 this yr vs this team.Pathetic

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
You are spot on.

But, that was really not my point. My point was that I don't believe our D performance today was an indicator of future success, but I hope those that do believe it are right, and I am wrong.
I think we all understand the level of our opponent today was not high. I just think everyone was encouraged by what they saw from the D, regardless of the other team. The D will be a work in progress all season.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. And with all those blitzes and pressure packages he called its so surprising. Sigh lol. :confused::rolleyes:

We did nothing on d worth a spit and still held them to 150. I am frankly happy. Some areas to teach too. But looked much better

So you agree with me. It looked very much like a typical GT D under Johnson. We shouldn’t have to dial up exotic pressures to get to the qb against Alcorn. It looked all too familiar. Hopefully I’m wrong.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So you agree with me. It looked very much like a typical GT D under Johnson. We shouldn’t have to dial up exotic pressures to get to the qb against Alcorn. It looked all too familiar. Hopefully I’m wrong.

We were really only rushing 3 most of the game. Acorn was also getting rid of thr ball at quickly and not very effective. Some of those overthrows were on the rush. Thr onr time we sent more than 4 Campbell got an easy sack

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought our defense was quite disruptive in pressuring the QB. He may not have been sacked much, but his pocket wasn't stable. That made his throws poor. I liked it a lot. I'm a bit worried about our linebacker speed against the top of the ACC. These Alcorn state guys were able to leg out 2-3 yards sometimes, due to over pursuit or positioning, or reaction time, but against Clemson? Those may be back breakers. I'm not sure Brent is agile or fast enough against those sorts of teams. I'd almost rather have him line up as an outside rushing linebacker where he can put his size to better use. I don't think he could pursue Kelly Bryant effectively. BJS may need to be our mike in that package, I don't know. We seemed fast enough for Alcorn, but we'll get a better sense of our speed against Pitt.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I thought our defense was quite disruptive in pressuring the QB. He may not have been sacked much, but his pocket wasn't stable. That made his throws poor. I liked it a lot. I'm a bit worried about our linebacker speed against the top of the ACC. These Alcorn state guys were able to leg out 2-3 yards sometimes, due to over pursuit or positioning, or reaction time, but against Clemson? Those may be back breakers. I'm not sure Brent is agile or fast enough against those sorts of teams. I'd almost rather have him line up as an outside rushing linebacker where he can put his size to better use. I don't think he could pursue Kelly Bryant effectively. BJS may need to be our mike in that package, I don't know. We seemed fast enough for Alcorn, but we'll get a better sense of our speed against Pitt.

I am withholdimg my judgement until after use. Honestly I think part of our overpursuit problem is because our defense was use to taking angles on our fast players. Most of our misses were overpursuits where they got to a spot before the person they were tackling and it allowed them to cut back

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’m worried about David Curry’s tackling technique. Twice I saw him just launch his shoulder into the player to knock him down. Do that against some Clemson or Miami guys and you’re just going to bounce right off. Gotta wrap up...

Not the mention it’s going to trigger targeting calls and his ejection if he’s not careful.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I was disappointed. Not with results but with the fact I still didn’t see us able to get pressure on qb and we just didn’t play behind the los like I was expecting.
I am willing to wait and see more from the D before jumping to conclusions. Some of our stalwarts missed tackles or seemed slower than I expected/hoped. We did get more pressure on their QB but often lost contain, which is something we can work on and improve, I suspect. I don't expect us to be Alabama on defense, no matter how much I like this scheme, there is no replacement for speed.

Next week against USF will be a HUGE test for this D. To be honest, if Roof was still with us, I would have no hope of winning next week. Now, I think USF should be favored, but am hopeful our D can allow us to hang around for a while....

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Reasonable post. I think often times it’s about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s. We are lacking in that department now. There just didn’t seem to be huge speed difference between us and Alcorn and I don’t see how that bodes well for us the rest of the year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Essentially there is not one thing you said i agree with. I was happy you were disappointed. I saw quick throws negating great pressure chances. Woodys d by design needs to bring 5 and we did little of that and still held em low etc.

Maybe u missed my sarcasm. We played ok, and still were assignment strong, had good fits and lanes. And still a ton of bad to teach. That all is good.

For other fonts already putting the talent is better bs out there. Lol. Its the same front 7 basically. Please. Woody is going to get more out of the same talent. Thats because he actually runs a system one can play in efficiently.

Yes its just alcorn so i 100 percent agree no conclusions yet. But some things we are doing much better we never did prior

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am going to say if you don’t think GT out jimmy and Joe Alcon... you may want to consider posting just emojis...

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with you....but we aren't going to have to wait to Pitt. We will find out against USF. USF is young and inexperienced and we should win....but dadgum, the bulls are Fast

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I was disappointed to see the thrown shoulder half tackles we threw out there.

My hope is brant caught the guys in the locker room and this week during film review they zone in on it.

Me thinks CNW is going to share an opinion on it with the boys too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is true but NC State is supposedly loaded with talent in the front seven and was widely seen by most commentators as being good enough to challenge FSU and Clemson this year.
This is true though he coach has a personality that makes Johnson look like he should be turning letters on a game show. He was so angry after Clemson last year he could not contain himself and threw a hissy fit over some iPad or tablet one of the trainers or such were using on the sideline because he himself misunderstood the rules. Regardless Clemson has the October visit down as a trap game because yes, NC State can be very good. I resist the urge to note, however, that the addition to State's defense of a former GT coach probably won't help much.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I am going to say if you don’t think GT out jimmy and Joe Alcon... you may want to consider posting just emojis...

I’ll keep that in mind.

Clearly we had better talent but there wasn’t as much of a gap as I would expect. I don’t think our starting mlb should get shook out of his shoes or our safeties missing open field tackles or our DL not able to whip the man in front of them to get in the backfield.

Time will tell. Hopefully I’m wrong about the outcome of the next 3 months.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Another bullet or two on 2.9 yds/play allowed:
- only 4 tackles for loss for -21yds
- allowed 65% completions (only 8 incompletions)

Suggests to me consistency.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Another bullet or two on 2.9 yds/play allowed:
- only 4 tackles for loss for -21yds
- allowed 65% completions (only 8 incompletions)

Suggests to me consistency.

Tiny little dink passes...4.6 yards average per reception. Tackled immediately. Going nowhere and adding up to zero on the scoreboard.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is true though he coach has a personality that makes Johnson look like he should be turning letters on a game show. He was so angry after Clemson last year he could not contain himself and threw a hissy fit over some iPad or tablet one of the trainers or such were using on the sideline because he himself misunderstood the rules. Regardless Clemson has the October visit down as a trap game because yes, NC State can be very good. I resist the urge to note, however, that the addition to State's defense of a former GT coach probably won't help much.

An Ipad? You don't say. I nearly threw my computer once in frustration but that's all on me not the defenseless computer my being of an age where technology remains a mystery. As far as NC State goes, well I am kind of glad we don't play them this year because they seem to be the sort of defense which has given us fits in the past. Don't know how Coach Roof will ultimately do in that situation. We will see.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
An Ipad? You don't say. I nearly threw my computer once in frustration but that's all on me not the defenseless computer my being of an age where technology remains a mystery. As far as NC State goes, well I am kind of glad we don't play them this year because they seem to be the sort of defense which has given us fits in the past. Don't know how Coach Roof will ultimately do in that situation. We will see.
They can be used in some sideline applications having to do with the trainers and injuries or some such, and since Clemson apparently has two of everything, of course they use them. But if you need help in how to turn one on or off, call me.