Under 150 total yards

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I was disappointed. Not with results but with the fact I still didn’t see us able to get pressure on qb and we just didn’t play behind the los like I was expecting.

Yeah. And with all those blitzes and pressure packages he called its so surprising. Sigh lol. :confused::rolleyes:

We did nothing on d worth a spit and still held them to 150. I am frankly happy. Some areas to teach too. But looked much better

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. And with all those blitzes and pressure packages he called its so surprising. Sigh lol. :confused::rolleyes:

We did nothing on d worth a spit and still held them to 150. I am frankly happy. Some areas to teach too. But looked much better

The guys looked like they knew what they were doing and were having fun. Open field tackling was much better especially on the perimeter. The inside linebackers looked to be a tad slow but played very hard. As a fan of the efforts the Austin twins, Golden, and the rest gave us for years it hurts to type this but these guys are bigger, faster, and just have more talent. It is pretty apparent to me that the talent difference is striking.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Overall for the first game, with a new defensive scheme and coordinator, I wasn't looking for miracles even against a weaker team. Given that I was pleased. What I found not pleasing was that we still cannot throw a lick despite some indications otherwise so getting deep down the field when they cheat up is problematic. And while I love the offense, here is the stat that reflects the downside of the true option: Searcy, Lynch and Cottrell, arguably our best A backs, got the ball only 4 times. They gained 105 yards. But of all the problems exposed by competition, the passing game is foremost to me. We have to hit those guys down field.

One play sticks out in my mind as being really disappointing. We had two guys rushing the AS QB, and within 5 yards of getting to him (which they may or may not have been able to do), they hesitated, making it entirely impossible to get him for a sack. Why the heck hesitate? Just keep going full force. He hadn't passed the ball yet, and he might have panicked and thrown it away or actually gotten tackled outside the box for a loss. I also saw a few isolated incidents of arm tackling or reaching for the ball carrier instead of going for him. Like I said, those were isolated, but that's the kind of tackling we have endured for the past 6 years; Woody needs to talk to those guys.

slugboy

Staff member
It was funny listening to the radio pregame. Alcorn is “an option team”, and we needed to play “assignment football” to avoid the big play. It’s the kind of pregame comments we mock from other teams.
Over pursued a few times, but did well. Alcorn rolled away from our backside pursuit a lot. There was pressure, even if there were fewer sacks than you wanted. Multiple tackles for loss. 3rd and forever happened a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
A little comparison

Here is Alcorn St. stats from 2015
4CE12709-5505-4A68-8746-17FAACC7E0FD.jpeg

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I will continue to say, if we blitz and don't get there against good teams/QB's, it will be a lot different than what you saw today. I am hoping we can get to the QB when we blitz, but even with Roof, when he blitzed, we generally were not talented enough to get off the blocks. I hope this year is different, but today's game did nothing to convince me one way or the other. The QB we were facing today could not hurt us when we blitzed unsuccessfully.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I will continue to say, if we blitz and don't get there against good teams/QB's, it will be a lot different than what you saw today. I am hoping we can get to the QB when we blitz, but even with Roof, when he blitzed, we generally were not talented enough to get off the blocks. I hope this year is different, but today's game did nothing to convince me one way or the other. The QB we were facing today could not hurt us when we blitzed unsuccessfully.
This is pretty much true for any D. If you blitz, and don’t get there, you stand a good chance to get burned on the back end.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is pretty much true for any D. If you blitz, and don’t get there, you stand a good chance to get burned on the back end.

You are spot on.

But, that was really not my point. My point was that I don't believe our D performance today was an indicator of future success, but I hope those that do believe it are right, and I am wrong.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Their QB wasn't a statue, he's quick and has some moves. When we lost contain the LBs managed to clean up the play without too much yardage. Good that we have saftey/lb tweeners to chase them down.