UNC's QB Williams

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
GT fans are biased because they watched Watson play in high school. Williams is and always has been the more dangerous QB.
Williams had a great game against GT. He looked really good. That said, he is inconsistent and there is a reason the starter for that game was up in the air at UNC. Watson, however, is good every week. Devalue him at our peril but I betcha Tech doesn't.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Williams had a great game against GT. He looked really good. That said, he is inconsistent and there is a reason the starter for that game was up in the air at UNC. Watson, however, is good every week. Devalue him at our peril but I betcha Tech doesn't.

You just made his point. Deshaun name has mostly been made on the backs non P5 and ACC scrubs (we all see that it factor in him though). Vs P5 team this season Deshaun hasn't exactly lit like a guy of his stature should.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Color me skeptical on that. He's been 'ok' more than he's been 'dynamic' so far in his career. He has all the tools and the pedigree (based mainly on his HS career) the eggsperts drool over and, like @Ibeeballin said, he's looked good vs. some also-rans. So far that's been enough to build this legend.

Is he a good QB? I guess. Is he significantly better than Williams? I don't think so, just has a higher profile.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You just made his point. Deshaun name has mostly been made on the backs non P5 and ACC scrubs (we all see that it factor in him though). Vs P5 team this season Deshaun hasn't exactly lit like a guy of his stature should.
Don't understand this but okay. Just be aware come Saturday.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Watson looked bad against Louisville (both times he played them), and bad against ND.

Williams on the other hand has looked great against many teams not just GT. In fact you may be surprised to see that he was 2nd team All ACC last season behind none other than 1st pick overall Jameis Winston. He passed for 3000 yards and nearly ran for 1000.

He did have a bad game against South Carolina though, no doubting that.

I'm not devaluing Watson, I'm just not going to value him: Joe Montana + Mike Vick.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The real question = is Watson better then Taj Boyd? Answer = they wish.

We beat them with Taj. We can beat them with Watson. He isn't Superman and the Tiggers aren't the Justice League of America. Let's go out there, play our best, and see what happens.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The real question = is Watson better then Taj Boyd? Answer = they wish.

We beat them with Taj. We can beat them with Watson. He isn't Superman and the Tiggers aren't the Justice League of America. Let's go out there, play our best, and see what happens.
Key being "play our best"!!!

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Watson is the real deal. Probably the best QB we will see this season but that being said I still feel better about facing him knowing he is injury prone and has only been tested once in his career and that game was last week so it will be interesting to see how he comes off of it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The biggest difference between Watson and Williams is the number of times their names are mentioned by the media. I think both are really good and present similar challenges. That is my main point. Williams is certainly more physical and Watson slightly faster, however......

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Watson has not earned all the hype. He was a high 4 star out of high school and for some reason the media loves the kid. He has not even played enough to know how good he is. He stays hurt and misses a lot of playing time. Of course we tend to make every QB look like a Heisman candidate so I'm sure he will have a field day against us. Hopefully he will continue to play he has so far this year, which is very average.

Go Jackets!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Watson = Williams = Gohlston

All these guys have the same game. They can run, have good arms, some weeks look like All Americans, and some weeks look pretty bad. Watson probably hasn't hit the lows of the other 2 but I don't think he's significantly better. Get him under pressure and he probably won't beat you.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't see anything like even a tiny chip on any Jacket's shoulder. They seem surprisingly content being 2-3, out of the conversation, dead in the division, and done with bowl eligibility..

Just curious...how do you know all of this? especially the bit about being content? Unless you are on the team or staff, this is entirely speculative. How do you justify this claim??

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sold on Waston living up to the hype either...but QBs tend to have career days against us a lot so I will still be sweating when he's behind center on Saturday.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Watson looked bad against Louisville (both times he played them), and bad against ND.

Williams on the other hand has looked great against many teams not just GT. In fact you may be surprised to see that he was 2nd team All ACC last season behind none other than 1st pick overall Jameis Winston. He passed for 3000 yards and nearly ran for 1000.

He did have a bad game against South Carolina though, no doubting that.

I'm not devaluing Watson, I'm just not going to value him: Joe Montana + Mike Vick.
Well, there you go. Setting up straw men and an argument never advanced. We just disagree I suppose. I think Watson is the better QB. I know where he was in all conference stuff. Ahead of a guy named Thomas who last year was head and shoulders above him in the all-important statistic: winning games. (I kinda put passing yardage in the same stat category as a plethora of baseball statistics and the TOS for football. When your offense is built on it and you are giving up six TDs, one tends to throw for a bunch of yardage. And last ;year much of it was meaningless. I think they dropped the last three or four games of the season? It's kind of the two TDs in the last minute against ND. Interesting, but what was the point?)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Point of order. We can wrangle about whether Watson or Williams is the better quarterback in the abstract. But the real question is which kind of quarterback gives us more trouble.

History tells me it is quarterbacks like Williams. Those who want to insist Watson is the better quarterback can have that bone if they want it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Point of order. We can wrangle about whether Watson or Williams is the better quarterback in the abstract. But the real question is which kind of quarterback gives us more trouble.

History tells me it is quarterbacks like Williams. Those who want to insist Watson is the better quarterback can have that bone if they want it.
Not sure which QB like Williams. Certainly not Winston, who is an outstanding passer, though perhaps not as pro-ready as one might have thought, but just kind of okay as runner. Against us, obviously, it was all throwing and that was enough. But what I don't quite get is how one might arrive at that conclusion based on Waton's 15 plays against us last year before leaving the game with 3 minutes left in the first quarter, and for his day's work had 3 or 4 runs -- lost track -- with two for first downs, and a couple of passes for first downs with one dropped. I hated to see him injured because I think the last three quarters would have been quite a matchup with Thomas, but the fact he did helped us immensely.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Dang...we just jinxed ourselves. I hope Watson doesn't Logan Thomas us.
We make freshman QBs look like Heisman candidates. We need our offense to click, which is going to be a tough proposition in death valley. Have to pressure Watson and get him to feel some hits even if he gets pass away. Can't do it with our 4 man rush.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Sorry not sure what y'all watching Watson is way way way way way better than Williams in every way. It's not even close. Watson is a legitimate Heisman candidate and with all the talk about Olinemen, Clemson held ND Dline in check.

This gonna be a long game if the offense isn't clicking.