Uncle Lou predicts seven wins for GT this year

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Just find a way to beat Florida State and i see this team winning 8 or 9 games. Defense will be much better we hit a home run in the transfer portal and the offense will be better than last year. I see this team playing with a lot of confidence and finding ways to win. Since CK took over we’re not intimidated and they believe they can win any game if there’s any time on the clock. This is what happens when a football team believes in their coaches….good things happen baby

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
The odds don't only take into account how good a team is, but how easy their path to the ACCCG is. Their conference schedules are notably weaker than ours.
Nobody really knows that, though. These are just odds for betting, so I’m skeptical that the supporting analysis is super detailed or accurate just like all of the other preseason info out there. I don’t know what our odds were last year, but I’m certain we were better than expected.

My personal feeling: it all comes down to defense and whether King can reduce the turnovers. I personally believe that our defense will improve solely from the coaching change, moving us from the bottom 25% to around the median. I also think that King is going to do about the same as last year, and we will be similar or slightly better on offense.

I put money on the over for wins (5.5) and for us to cover against FSU (I think we’re going to win). I wouldn’t bet on us to win the ACC, but I’m 100% certain that if we do I won’t care about missing out on the long shot bet.

I like that we get FSU early, with everything going on, the way they ended the season and the new QB I think getting them first sets up well for us.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that if our O-Line can take a step forward in pass protection, King will be shredding defenses with the weapons we have in the pass game. Blackburn on one side, Singleton on the other, and Rutherford in the slot will stymie just about every secondary we face.
I think our pass protection was pretty good last year. Our run game was excellent due to the outstanding blocking from the O-line. It became one of our best units last year.

Our receivers will be very good this year. The addition of some TE depth will only help. With Blackburn's size, if he's can stay healthy he'll really present a problem. The speed of Singleton will force the safeties back deep, the size of Blackburn will cause matchup problems, the slot and TE underneath should open up. Add in the RBs and we have a downright nasty attack.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think our pass protection was pretty good last year. Our run game was excellent due to the outstanding blocking from the O-line. It became one of our best units last year.

Our receivers will be very good this year. The addition of some TE depth will only help. With Blackburn's size, if he's can stay healthy he'll really present a problem. The speed of Singleton will force the safeties back deep, the size of Blackburn will cause matchup problems, the slot and TE underneath should open up. Add in the RBs and we have a downright nasty attack.
And we have a guy calling plays who knows how to maximize our talent. When is the last time we had that?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Health as always is crucial for GT football to have a good year. Depth is improving but is no where near the top 3-4 teams we face this year.

The defense must take a Major step up in performance. That it hopeful but unknown.

Donte Smith will be missed. He was a stud the last several games of the season. RBs do get worn down. Having 2 good ones last year was tge difference in several games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The Field Goal Kicker could be a blessing - used to win games but not used to beat the spread hoping defense holds them.
I said that wrong.

Key will give Buster and King/WR the ball ( 4th and...) enough times to show his confidence ( & make them really build something to want to return in 25 ) and use FG to win games.

FG wont cut it against Miami and NCST.

I think we have a really good- butt kicker level FG kicker.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think some of you guys are underestimating just how good our offense might be this year when making these predictions. If it reaches its full potential I don’t care how difficult our schedule looks, we can win every game on that schedule.

And imagine what it would do for the team if the defense were to take just a small step forward and become average. This team has a ton of potential and could be special.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think some of you guys are underestimating just how good our offense might be this year when making these predictions. If it reaches its full potential I don’t care how difficult our schedule looks, we can win every game on that schedule.

And imagine what it would do for the team if the defense were to take just a small step forward and become average. This team has a ton of potential and could be special.
I agree with this if our OL and King stay healthy. But we cannot afford a rash of injuries.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Both GOL and CPJ had years when the O was virtually unstoppable AND (in some cases) every game had the potential for a W. We have seen those kinds of teams before, As you suggest, the improvement in D will determine how much the needle will move this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

You’re not wrong.

The caveat is this. Projecting team improvement is always based on unproven factors. The offense last year was good. We should not expect them to regress though that happens to some teams every year for almost inexplicable reasons. The safest bet is that the offense will remain roughly the same. Which ain’t bad, and if we clean up a few things in other areas, including a slight tightening of the defense, almost guarantees us a minimum of 7 wins.

The more optimistic view is that multiple players improve, new players jump right in and give solid performances, and we are lucky, and everything breaks just right, including no significant injuries. A year like that could mean a top 10 finish but that is in the “wildest dreams” category.

What we do know is this. We have a coach who doesn’t like to lose and will have his team excited and ready to play every game and believing they can beat anyone. That is the special juice that has returned to the flats after a long absence.

slugboy

Staff member

If the Tight Ends can start producing in the pass game, then a lot can open up. Sometimes, our offense looked like a Ferrari, sometimes it looked like a Ferrari with three spark plugs. The offense needs consistency and to move the sticks more efficiently.

On defense, I’ve lost track of how often over the last 15 years that I’ve said “if they can just be average…”. For some reason(s), that’s been very tough to make happen here.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am only looking at FSU right now.

My thoughts: FSU lost their star QB, both top WRs, their TE, and top RB. Their OL was good, but their skill guys were great. There is no way they will be as good on offense in August as they were last year. They have a great set of DBs, so we may have to run the ball a lot in this game. Fortunately, their run defense is where they had issues and they lost all three starting LBs from last year. If we can keep our offense on the field and score points this game could get interesting. Birr could be a very important factor. We cannot afford to miss scoring opportunities.