UNC Postgame

Good game. Very enjoyable and not suspenseful (which I loved). The real season starts in 2 weeks with da U. But we should be ready with the bye.

Offense; good. First year players are gonna fumble early in the year or won't play late in the
Defense great; assist from UNC penalties.
Special teams; special needs on kicking but better on tackling.
I believe I heard them say we had a scoring drive of 18 plays and another of 17 plays. That works!

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't like the quick slant call near the goal line. It cost the Seahawks a Super Bowl.

I tend to agree that when you are at the goal-line, if you can run it in for the score there's no reason to do anything else. When you do throw it it's usually a fade to the corner with your tallest receiver or any situation where only your guy can get it.

I think the Seahawks would have been better served A) Running it right up the gut with beast mode or B) Getting Wilson on a roll-out run/pass option.

With that said, sometimes you need to test the cornerbacks in single coverage.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if the motivation was for Miami but it was atypical and a tendency breaker. It also would have worked without the interference. I do wonder if CPJ has someone who looks at his calls to see if he has tendencies.
I believe I have spotted one. He has a tendency to run the ball a lot.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The slant was a good call. Might not be the best call available, but it was there. Without the PI, it would have been an easy TD. The defender was in good position but Ricky used his body to shield him off. Not sure if ref had an angle to see defender grabbing his right arm. More subtle then a hit, push off, or jersey pull, but no doubt about it being PI. Maybe our run tendency caught the ref off guard.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I spotted something new (I think) that we were doing down by the goal line.

We put Quaid in at AB twice down there and seemed to be using him as an extra blocker for what looked like a belly dive. Quaid came straight across the formation, then turned into the hole in front of Benson. I will have to wait - like everyone else - for Longest's analysis to see what actually happened and whether it worked. I do, however, really like the idea. If we do it in future enough and teams start to fall for it, the obvious trick would be to run the play and hand off to Quaid instead with the WR and off-side AB blocking. That would work in short yardage situations, I bet, though the foot work would be tricky.