UNC Postgame

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If you look at the O stats, you'd think this was a really good performance. A combo of turnovers - two is enough to loose any game - and untimely penalties put the entire effort at risk. Still, we had to play perfectly to win and we didn't.

As for the D … well, what can you say? We had a hard time - again - with the short passing game and didn't do as well against the run as we have. For the first time, I think Coach Roof's job is in jeopardy. It was a string of games like this that got Groh fired. Oth, Roof is probably too valuable as a recruiter to let go during the school year. We simply have to perform better on D soon, however. That'll be hard; our DL problems are making everything more difficult.

There were some highlights. Jordan looked exactly like I thought he would at QB. I hope JT isn't too badly hurt, but I was encouraged, especially for next year. Mills showed exactly the kind of sustained effort that I've expected to see. I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish the next three games with 100 yards each. Perry played quite well in relief of Burden, but I hope Freddie is able to come back next week. We need him. One question persists: why no Cottrell? I was expecting him to be in the rotation at AB today and he wasn't. Wish I knew why.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
[QUOTE=" That'll be hard; our DL problems are making everything more difficult.[/QUOTE]

What I can't understand is why they don't play Adams. If the current D-line is struggling, play the next guy. He may not be better, but you ain't gonna find out with him on the bench. Why burn his red shirt for three plays. Put him in and let's find out what he can do. Fourth and 1, where is he?

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
It's tough to get on the field at any level. If you're good enough to see it ....you will. I hope he's not another Snoddy type who was hyped up before he ever played a down and in reality, he had just a MEHHH career at GT.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
...but that's the worst defense performance I've ever seen by a Tech team. Offense had its share of problems, but they can't be expected to score on every possession.

Yeah UNC is very good on offense, but come on...650 yards?

CPJ needs to take some ownership on this. I don't recall seeing such a long time with defense being such an after thought. We can't beat anyone giving up those sorts of yards and points.

They are constantly out of position, constantly missing tackles, and often playing with absolutely terrible body language.

If this doesn't improve then we will always be waiting 5 years for a miraculously good offensive team that masks how bad we are on the other side of the ball.

Jmonty71

Banned
...but that's the worst defense performance I've ever seen by a Tech team. Offense had its share of problems, but they can't be expected to score on every possession.

Yeah UNC is very good on offense, but come on...650 yards?

CPJ needs to take some ownership on this. I don't recall seeing such a long time with defense being such an after thought. We can't beat anyone giving up those sorts of yards and points.

They are constantly out of position, constantly missing tackles, and often playing with absolutely terrible body language.

If this doesn't improve then we will always be waiting 5 years for a miraculously good offensive team that masks how bad we are on the other side of the ball.
Yes, out of position. Poor tackling techniques. Poor play. Poor alignment. Poor aggression. Where does the fault lay on this? The players? Or the coaches? In particular, the DC.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is just an opinion as well but I am willing to bet that CPJ is aware of how bad the D is. I am also going to infer, given his position, he is as frustrated as we are with it (if not moreso). It seems like, as an offensive tactician, he could "reverse engineer" some solutions to the problems. Although perhaps the things/schemes that give him issues don't bother UNC's O coordinator (and vice versa). I am sure, given his experience, he can look at film and get a sense of talent. I just wonder what he thinks when/if he looks at our own tape. I really like CTR as a person and had hoped for his success here...but this game may have been the proverbial straw on the camel's back.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I probably agree. Even when Clemson destroyed us it was because they were just throwing jump balls to Pro Bowl caliber NFL receivers. This was a total melt down of a mess.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We just need and entire revamp on the defensive side of the ball. Scheme, technique, and effort. This can't continue if we want to be successful.

A change is definitely needed, but not if we are going to do the same damn thing...if we go hire another D coordinator that is as conservative and unable to coach technique as Groh and Roof then its CPJ's fault and it's time to evaluate whether or not he knows what he's doing as a head coach vs. just being an offensive coordinator.

This is an important situation. It's time for Roof to go and we'd better make a damn good hire or CPJs replacement will be the next hire.

Milwaukee

Banned
I agree, terrible all around. I'd like to see one of our stats guys, possibly AE, give us the numbers that UNC has put up this year vs their other opponents. I know they're a good offense, but damn, that was serious.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's just starting to get ridiculous. We keep doing the same thing and expect to get different results. We just need a new defensive scheme that is more aggressive on all downs (not just 3rd) and is better at disguising our plans...can't just show blitz from two LBs and let the other team check out of their play.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I trust CPJ to make the right decisions with the staff. I wish I had the unfiltered reasoning behind keeping Roof. Is it truly a talent gap, a youth and experience gap, a budget issue, a support staff issue, or a combination of things. CPJ is obviously frustrated with our D and he is a smart guy on both sides of the ball. He has made big improvements on the offense since last year, and I am sure he is aware of what needs to happen on the defensive side of the ball.

Part of me wonders if his hands are tied.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Judging from the post game presser, looks like no changes and status quo moving forward.

Zzzzzzzz.........

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Judging from the post game presser, looks like no changes and status quo moving forward.

Zzzzzzzz.........
It's not good to make changes ( fire someone) during the season other then tell Roof to do something else or try other players if the ones playing can't do what you ask of them.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
It would be nice to hang on to the football. Fumbles are something we can very rarely overcome. Is it me or does Jordan not know how to pitch or give the ball to the BB?

He's running the plays he's told to run. Designed QB keepers.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
We aren't getting another dc. The ad won't allow it. Cpj has two years left. He may be gone after this year. He had a great run here at tech, but despite the great years he'll forever be known as a coach who couldn't find the right dc. What a shame.

A former player and booster mentioned during the past homecoming game that the new ad want a new guy in...