UNC @ GT Tuesday @ 7PM

• Highlight

Jackets Host the Heels Tuesday Night

Josh Okogie led the Jackets with 26 points in an upset of UNC in 2016

Georgia Tech returns home looking to get even in conference play.

Let’s just get it out of the way. The last time the wine and cheese crowd came to Atlanta we ruined their New Years Eve. The Tar Heels were ranked #9 in the country. As of today, North Carolina is ranked #9 in the country. I’m not saying, I’m just saying.

Carolina comes into this game on a bit of a hot streak. After suffering their worst loss at the Dean Dome since 2002 at the hands of Louisville, they have won three in row. One of those games was a whoopin’ they laid on fellow ACC power Virginia Tech. The Heels are currently 5-1 in league and a half game back of first place. They are #1 in the league in tempo, 2nd in 3pt%, 3rd in offensive rebounding percentage and top 4 in offensive efficiency and effective field goal percentage. Those numbers are of course according to Kenpom.

However, it is not the offense that is giving Roy Williams heartburn. While Carolina’s defensive numbers are pretty respectable according to the metrics in league play, they aren’t world beaters on that end consistently enough. They give up decent looks from deep and are susceptible to the blow-by on close-outs.

The boys in powder blue are still led by Hall of Famer Roy Williams, who is now in his 17th season in Chapel Hill. It doesn’t seem that long, but maybe that is just me. He is 438-130 in his time with the wine and cheese crew and has won three NCAA titles. In those 17 seasons he failed to finish outside the top 3 in the ACC only three times and has been omitted from the NCAA tournament only once.

I picked this UNC team to win the ACC regular season title this year in the preseason. As far as rosters go, they have it all. Length, shooting, athletes, depth, size, coaching and experience.

The Tar Heels currently boast four players averaging double figures in the scoring category. Cam Johnson has taken the reigns as the programs best player and been a terror from behind the arc this season. Through his first 10 games this season he has shot a ridiculous 49% from deep. He has hit a slump recently though and regressed to 46% on the season. His production has dropped a little bit during conference play so far, but that could be attributed to fellow wing Kenny Williams finally getting it together on the offensive end.

Luke Maye came into this season with a lot of luster after averaging 16.9 and 10.1 in 2017-18 season. He is one of only two players in the ACC since 2000-01 to average 16 and 10 while shooting better than 40% from three. Many, myself included, selected him to be an All-American as well as the ACC Player of the Year. For me it was a foregone conclusion. His numbers are a bit down this year, but UNC has tremendous depth this season and that has alleviated some the load Maye has to carry. Both his minutes and usage rate are down this year compared to last season when it was basically the Berry and Maye show.

Along with the two seniors come a duo of talented freshman. Coby White, an incredible scoring guard, runs the show for the Heels and is as quick as a hiccup. Even on made baskets he will get the ball and be at the logo by the time you get turned around. It will be imperative that Georgia Tech gets back down the court and into their 1-3-1 without White running up their back. White has taken a bit of criticism this season due to not being the typical Carolina point guard. He is not Ed Cota, Ty Lawson or Joel Berry. He is going to score first and second and maybe third, but he is not incapable of making highlight passes either. White has scored 15 or more point in every game during league play with the exception of the Louisville game. He also scored 33 points in 30 minutes earlier this season against Texas.

The other freshman should be familiar to Tech fans. That is former top 5 recruit Nassir Little who is the Tar Heel’s sixth man this season. It has been an interesting season for Nassir. Defensive inconsistency has led to him being a weapon off the bench instead of a fixture in the starting lineup, causing some fans questioning Coach Williams. A media member recently brought this to Roy during a press conference and the question obviously agitated Williams. In-game commentators later brought to light that it had been a tumultuous time for Little which was simply not true. It was a media fabrication.

While his defense is still not quite where it needs to be with a rating of 101 (prone to the blow-by on close-outs), his offense is starting to show up in limited minutes. In his last three games he has averaged 15.3 points and 4.7 rebounds in only 17 minutes per game. A week ago in the whoopin’ of VPI, he scored a career high 23 points in just 20 minutes. He is a unique athlete that will cause match-up issues for Georgia Tech in the half court, though the Jackets just played pretty well against maybe the biggest match-up nightmare in the last 20 years so we will see.

Just because Carolina’s defensive metrics as a team aren’t great, they have some individual guys that play defense. Senior Kenny Williams is the Tar Heels’ best perimeter defender and will no doubt find himself on Jose. While his defensive rating is not fantastic, it is also not reflective of his impact on that end on the floor. He is a good defender with good size. Jose is going to have to get crafty.

Other players of note are Garrison Brooks who is a really good rebounder and is fantastic at hedging ball screens at the top of the key, pushing guards towards half court. Brooks paired with Maye could cause major problems for the Jackets on the offensive glass. Seventh Woods and Brandon Robinson (another former GT recruit) also provide quality depth this year for the Heels as both are finally living up to the prep evaluations.

Perhaps the most overlooked player is 2018 5* recruit Rechon “Leaky” Black. While he only plays about 11 minutes a game, they are typically a very good 11 minutes. The kid simply plays winning basketball. He is a 6’7″ guard who can handle the ball and wreak havoc on the defensive end playing the passing lanes. Look for him to make an impact at some point during this game.

Tech will not have to deal with reserve big man Sterling Manley who has not played since December 29th due to knee soreness.

Overall, this is a scary match-up for the Jackets. Tech has been susceptible to surrendering offensive rebounds out of the zone, and this Carolina team is built to excel in that single aspect of the game. Carolina’s size on the wing is another issue. Cam Johnson is actually the Tar Heel’s tallest starter and he is typically going to play 22 feet from the hoop hunting clean looks.

The good guys surprised me in the most hostile environment in the league on Saturday and have always played better at home under Pastner. Similar to the Duke game, keep it close, keep it respectable. Anything can happen in the last two minutes of a five point game.

Last edited:

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I know in the beginning of the season last year there was talk about extending Lammers' range and developing his 3 point shot for the NBA. He took a few 3's early in the season, and did not shoot a good percentage, then stopped shooting 3's

This is developing into an annual theme. Beginning of the year "We are gonna shoot a lot of 3s!" Season starts, we chuck 3s and hit very low %. Middle of the year: "We are not a 3 point shooting team"

hope we break that cycle next year. Alvarado & CGB will be juniors and Devoe a soph. Hope / believe we will see improved 3FG shooting from them.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
This is developing into an annual theme. Beginning of the year "We are gonna shoot a lot of 3s!" Season starts, we chuck 3s and hit very low %. Middle of the year: "We are not a 3 point shooting team"

Yep. This year in particular, I think it was either:

1) a complete miss on evaluation of skills on the roster, or

2) code for, "We are probably screwed because we lost Lammers and Okogie. AD is ok, but c'mon, we don't actually think he is very good. Jose is too short to drive to the basket, and Haywood and Alston can't break down anyone off the dribble. Devoe is coming in and will be a sharp shooter. So, we are going to have to spread the floor and live or die by the 3. It's our only chance of survivability."

I'm not sure which of the above is worse. Option 3 would have been properly evaluate the skills on the roster (preferably before we get 3/4 of the way through the season), and develop/implement an offensive scheme to offset our "offensive limitations" (Pastner's phrase).

Alvarado & CGB will be juniors and Devoe a soph. Hope / believe we will see improved 3FG shooting from them.

Devoe, probably. Alvarado, maybe/hope so. Haywood, doubtful.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

hope we break that cycle next year. Alvarado & CGB will be juniors and Devoe a soph. Hope / believe we will see improved 3FG shooting from them.

I feel like in years past there was talk of wanting to be able to shoot more threes but not really an expectation to do so. This is the first year I think there was a real expectation of shooting more 3s now mostly because Lammers was gone as a high post feeder, and Okogie and Jackson were gone as drivers. I think our low% is only part of the equation though. I think we show just enough promise in other areas to make it so our players think shooting 3s when they haven't beel falling is a mistake. Banks and Gueye are just effective enough inside to give hope. Devoe and Jose have just enough penetration to give hope. We get just enough looks off good cuts to give hope. So because there is hope for a better shot we pass up threes once they stop falling. So just enough to think we can get a better look but not good enough to rely on it for offense.

I still wish Devoe, Jose, and Haywood would look for their shot a bit more even when it isn't falling though.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Starting to remind me of the. Clogged Toilet Offense under Hewitt.

Got to find shooters. Everyone on this team is afraid to shoot a jumper.
Yep, if Devoe or Haywood miss a couple, they lose all confidence. Good shooters should have short memories. Somebody has to step up. Jose' is the only one I have any confidence in making a 3 right now.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I'm watching the game in a fog, but I saw us miss a lot of open shots.
I think we have a decent core with Alvarado, Devoe is going to grow into a good ACC player, Haywood has upside.
We need help in the backcourt and for crying out loud, find someone who can shoot the rock !!!

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Last night didn’t bother me and this season, as a whole, doesn’t bother me. I knew when JO left earlier than expected, this year would be a struggle. We’ve actually done a little better in conference play than I would’ve assumed up to this point.

The bigger concern is the compete whiff of a recruiting class for this year.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
maybe i am wrong but it sure seems to me that many of the great shooters have a bit of a HITCH in their shot right before they release the ball. they use this momentary pause to adjust their shot. we do not have anybody who does that.

may does it for unc. Só does that irish kid for nd.

from my vantage point in front of the tv it seems that our bigs toss up the ball above the rim hoping it goes in instead of actually taking a SHOT. we miss more layins and close shots than any team i watch. it drives me nuts.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
For close in offense, UNC shoots better from 10’ than we do from 3’. Unless you have a good plan, it’s hard to win in those conditions.

We talk a lot about needing 3 point shooting, but we could really use front court players who can score in short to intermediate range. We seem to only score under the basket, so other teams collapse in with 3 or 4 players and smother us. Did we hit a 10’ jumper yesterday? Did a forward score like that?Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This. This is what I was talking about when I said we seemed afraid to take a jump shot. Jose or Devoe would get 10' from the basket and seemed to think they *had* to try the pass for a dunk or to make their own lay-up, as opposed to pulling up for a 10' jump shot. Jose is deadly at that range (NOT at 3 point range) and I would prefer to see that than a botched layup or another turnover trying to force it into our bigs.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I feel like in years past there was talk of wanting to be able to shoot more threes but not really an expectation to do so. This is the first year I think there was a real expectation of shooting more 3s now mostly because Lammers was gone as a high post feeder, and Okogie and Jackson were gone as drivers. I think our low% is only part of the equation though. I think we show just enough promise in other areas to make it so our players think shooting 3s when they haven't beel falling is a mistake. Banks and Gueye are just effective enough inside to give hope. Devoe and Jose have just enough penetration to give hope. We get just enough looks off good cuts to give hope. So because there is hope for a better shot we pass up threes once they stop falling. So just enough to think we can get a better look but not good enough to rely on it for offense.

I still wish Devoe, Jose, and Haywood would look for their shot a bit more even when it isn't falling though.

I think there is a lot of truth in this view. Not just the specifics you get to but we get a Syracuse win and a close Duke game and have hope. That hope for half full folks leads to downplaying some of the underlying issues that came to the surface yesterday - both personal development and systemic. I go back to the age old adage that it is never as bad as it seems or as good as it seems in the moment. We got our arse handed to us last night - nothing we can do about it - on to FSU and see if we can fix the things we can fix.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This team is young and not that skilled really.We are over-achieving in some games because we have an sort of odd defense that slows some teams.unc had a week to prepare and is GOOD.(Pitt was down 23-50 at HALF to clem last nite)
We basically have little offense because very few can shoot well.
Our DEF is almost like PJohnsons football Offense.We depend on it but some times it stinks.Then we "ded."
The only way JP is going to live by '21 is to get killer transfer since the hi school boys are not responding.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
This season there are about half of the ACC teams that are really good and the rest not bad, but not in the same league. A lot of the teams below us I expected to be much stronger...not necessarily us, though.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I knew what I was going to see when I came to this thread this morning. "Whoa is me...!" "We suck" " coaches can't coach" " we can't shoot" blah, blah, blah.

Compare the comments after this game to the comments after the Notre Dame game or the Syracuse game and you see the tale of two sides. If we win and play scrappily, then the comments are positive, we're turning the corner, the coaches are finally getting it. When we lose, especially if we look bad doing it (a la UNC or UL), the sky is falling.

Truth is we're a mid-level skilled team (for ACC) that is still relatively young in their top skilled players. We don't have those top level shooters, with all-around games yet. We have young players who are learning to scrap for everything they get. They make mistakes on both ends of the court that hurt their chances to win. But their effort has been tremendous. Sometimes the other team is not just more talented, they're "on" as well.

We're getting better, one step at a time. These guys are growing up and progressing. I expect next year we'll be better and the following year we will be competing for the top half of the ACC. I look at Wright, Cole, CGB, and I see huge improvements from last year. I look at our freshmen and see an capacity for excellent play with a little more time. I get frustrated when we play poorly, can't finish lay-ups, and can't shoot outside shots with any regularity. I get frustrated too when we go on scoring droughts. But in the end, these guys are still relatively young in the overall scheme of things, and I have the patience to wait and see.

There have been times every games that it appears the coaches are falling asleep with offensive strategy. But, I'm confident that our coaches know much more about our players and game strategy than I ever will, so I'm going to let them do their job.

Just my turn to vent. Thanks for reading.

This place is a morgue after a loss. I’ve gotten to the point of not even bothering to stop by if we lose. It’s pretty simple folks, if a team as talented as UNC shoots 13/27 from 3, we’re probably gonna lose the game. Don’t make it more than it is...

Like Roy said after the game, everything looks better when the ball goes through the basket. If we make shots (2’s or 3’s), the offense flows much better. I’m not going to mistake this team for a well oiled machine offensively, but we ran some nice sets last night, and we generated plenty of open looks.

Bottom line, shoot 2/21 from 3, you’re gonna take an L most nights regardless of you play.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I knew what I was going to see when I came to this thread this morning. "Whoa is me...!" "We suck" " coaches can't coach" " we can't shoot" blah, blah, blah.

Compare the comments after this game to the comments after the Notre Dame game or the Syracuse game and you see the tale of two sides. If we win and play scrappily, then the comments are positive, we're turning the corner, the coaches are finally getting it. When we lose, especially if we look bad doing it (a la UNC or UL), the sky is falling.

Truth is we're a mid-level skilled team (for ACC) that is still relatively young in their top skilled players. We don't have those top level shooters, with all-around games yet. We have young players who are learning to scrap for everything they get. They make mistakes on both ends of the court that hurt their chances to win. But their effort has been tremendous. Sometimes the other team is not just more talented, they're "on" as well.

We're getting better, one step at a time. These guys are growing up and progressing. I expect next year we'll be better and the following year we will be competing for the top half of the ACC. I look at Wright, Cole, CGB, and I see huge improvements from last year. I look at our freshmen and see an capacity for excellent play with a little more time. I get frustrated when we play poorly, can't finish lay-ups, and can't shoot outside shots with any regularity. I get frustrated too when we go on scoring droughts. But in the end, these guys are still relatively young in the overall scheme of things, and I have the patience to wait and see.

There have been times every games that it appears the coaches are falling asleep with offensive strategy. But, I'm confident that our coaches know much more about our players and game strategy than I ever will, so I'm going to let them do their job.

Just my turn to vent. Thanks for reading.

This place is a morgue after a loss. I’ve gotten to the point of not even bothering to stop by if we lose. It’s pretty simple folks, if a team as talented as UNC shoots 13/27 from 3, we’re probably gonna lose the game. Don’t make it more than it is...

Like Roy said after the game, everything looks better when the ball goes through the basket. If we make shots (2’s or 3’s), the offense flows much better. I’m not going to mistake this team for a well oiled machine offensively, but we ran some nice sets last night, and we generated plenty of open looks.

Bottom line, shoot 2/21 from 3, you’re gonna take an L most nights regardless of you play.