UNC at GT 12/31/16

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Roy is quite possibly the most overrated coach in the history of modern conpetitive sports. No, let me say how I really feel. He's the most overrated coach in the history of Earth.

One day folks will start to believe me.

ETA: My man @CuseJacket gets it.

Overrated game day coach aside, one thing you have to give Roy credit for is how classy he's been towards CJP and what he did before time ran out on the game. Before the season started, Roy was probably the most effusive in his praise towards CPJ, and then he went to go shake CJP's hand and said some nice things before time ran out. I doubt Coach Dookie and Coach Pitino would even think of doing that.

Good on Coach Roy. Hopefully we get to thank him in the ACC Tournament by beating them a second time.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
We all are disturbed by that game (including the coaches, I think).

Umm, I don't think there are many folks out there who think we have better basketball players than we did last year. I certainly don't. The expectations for this team from basketball knowledgable posters on these boards and experts in the media have ranged from 0 ACC wins to ...what, 4? Maybe? Best case? We may have already had our one obligatory "we had no business playing that well and winning" game on the road against VCU.

We are ALL hoping you are right in this statement. It will be vary hard to tell that in the next few weeks, though.
I agree with your comments. our greatest problem though may be that we are so thin after the first five.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Overrated game day coach aside, one thing you have to give Roy credit for is how classy he's been towards CJP and what he did before time ran out on the game. Before the season started, Roy was probably the most effusive in his praise towards CPJ, and then he went to go shake CJP's hand and said some nice things before time ran out. I doubt Coach Dookie and Coach Pitino would even think of doing that.

Good on Coach Roy. Hopefully we get to thank him in the ACC Tournament by beating them a second time.

Roy is a great system coach in the mold obviously of Dean Smith but suffers from Dean's aversion to using time outs during the normal course of the game - especially the early part of the game. He has had some spectacular blow ups including final four games where he didn't call TOs when everyone in blue was screaming for one.

This game was the same. His team was both lethargic and confused by our Amoeba zone and needed to be jacked up and focused. It would have been a classic K time out where he would have gone all rat face to change the energy. And then made some basic adjustments especially telling them to drive the zone aggressively and picking up full court to change the tempo. That is what his team needed but the UNC system says players should be prepared enough to make the adjustments themselves.

CJP and staff had a great game plan and adjustments staying ahead of Roy all day. It was a game Roy got trapped by their system and imho cost them the game. Kudos to CJP and the players for coaching/playing better than I thought they could

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CJP and staff had a great game plan and adjustments staying ahead of Roy all day. It was a game Roy got trapped by their system and imho cost them the game. Kudos to CJP and the players for coaching/playing better than I thought they could

Makes you think..."Hmm, what could CJP do with a roster with 3-4 elite players"