UNC at GT 12/31/16

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yes we already know... again... Thanks ACC...

"Georgia Tech can anticipate playing in a road environment when it plays its ACC opener against North Carolina Dec. 31 at McCamish Pavilion."
Link

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
LOL, like Tech fans were going to go to that game anyway. After we got whooped by Tennessee, we'll be playing UNC's bench for 3/4 of the game.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps not the ACC's best scheduling work?

How about starting a team - any team - with UNC, duke and Louisville in a row to start the season? That UNC is at noon in the middle of a bunch of other stuff is secondary

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

How about starting a team - any team - with UNC, duke and Louisville in a row to start the season? That UNC is at noon in the middle of a bunch of other stuff is secondary

CJP has never lost 3 in a row

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
I am at a loss for this year's team against NCA&M. I looked for Lammers to go triple double and us to run up and down the court scoring with ease. I expected threes from Jackson and Stephens and the speed of our team to overwhelm a 1 and 11 team. I felt excited about playing the other teammates to demonstrate our bench strength.
We were outplayed and shot poorly. What in the world? I think I saw that Lammers can get in foul trouble and we cannot back him up. I think we saw that McCormick should be playing to give us that three potential. The other team did not force us into turnovers; we can do that without another team on the court. If we plan to play ACC this way, we are in trouble.
I do not know if we can beat any of the 1st three teams we play in the ACC. However, I do know that we have to somehow built a confidence and relaxation that we know we will make the shots we are supposed to make. Other teams do!! We count on players making the shots they are open for. We must move in a manner that makes us open and not to simply be moving. We played a game last year against Miami that was phenomenal in that we stole the ball, we scored with ease, we out ran them and we relaxed to a victory. It was one of the best games I have ever seen Tech play. I was hoping the coaches would make the team watch that film everyday and then practice. We could not be beat that night. That is the way we should play. It was beautiful and this team can be better than that because we have better athletes. We have the best coaches this school has ever had and our team must produce to their level.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

If I thought we were anywhere near a bubble team I'd agree. But I actually don't mind it this year. We have to play those games some time, and they are likely losses whenever. I look at the back 9 in ACC play and see

Clemson
Wake
BC
Miami
Cuse x2
NCSU
ND
Pitt

While that still is a challenge in itself, it does give us some opportunities to get wins towards the end of the year if our guys can develop in the first half of ACC play. IMO, it's better to have the winnable games at the back end to help build momentum going into next year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am at a loss for this year's team against NCA&M.

We all are disturbed by that game (including the coaches, I think).

It was beautiful and this team can be better than that because we have better athletes.

Umm, I don't think there are many folks out there who think we have better basketball players than we did last year. I certainly don't. The expectations for this team from basketball knowledgable posters on these boards and experts in the media have ranged from 0 ACC wins to ...what, 4? Maybe? Best case? We may have already had our one obligatory "we had no business playing that well and winning" game on the road against VCU.

We have the best coaches this school has ever had and our team must produce to their level.

We are ALL hoping you are right in this statement. It will be vary hard to tell that in the next few weeks, though.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If I thought we were anywhere near a bubble team I'd agree. But I actually don't mind it this year. We have to play those games some time, and they are likely losses whenever. I look at the back 9 in ACC play and see

Clemson
Wake
BC
Miami
Cuse x2
NCSU
ND
Pitt

While that still is a challenge in itself, it does give us some opportunities to get wins towards the end of the year if our guys can develop in the first half of ACC play. IMO, it's better to have the winnable games at the back end to help build momentum going into next year.

I just hope we survive those 3 games with some level of confidence intact. 3 games with the results I expect (sadly) over a couple of weeks time can be hugely deflating especially to what is in reality a young team. If CJP still has them positive and playing hard after this stretch that would be a good job in itself

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I doubt we bring more than 30k to the Bowl Game since we barely have that many at home games. There will be some Sidewalk fans there that like to see teams like UNC, Duke. The crowd will be there but it might not be there to see a Tech.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
There going to come out fired up tomorrow...Moore is an absolute gamer and will have them believing they can beat UNC...Okogie will be in attack mode,hoping his aggressive nature along with Heaths and Moore's ability to penetrate can get Q and TJ going on some nice kick outs.
The bottom line will be if Ben can stay out of foul trouble going up against Hicks and Meeks,there going to bang and be his biggest challenge this far...I think he'll step up and play well.AD and Obongda need to come alive and rebound.I think our best bet is to stick to the original script...play up tempo heavy ball movement attacking style with Ben as the focal point offensively....play aggressive defensively and win the 50/50's.This could be a breakout game for Okogie...think he'll have no fear and go for 20+

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Anything 15 or so would be a great effort. Especially since UNC is going to sell out for tempo and high scoring

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
If Berry is 100% healthy, this game could be a 30 point spread at half. They have more, better players at every position.