UMBC

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Having gotten my first live looks at the Jackets this weekend (Friday and Sunday) a few amateur observations:
  1. I really REALLY like out pitching. Mostly I like how we rarely walk anyone now. We have been outhit in (iirc) most of our games, but we are 7-0 because we have not walked guys or hit batters. You have to get legitimate hits to score on us when our D is solid, and that is a big change from prior years. I am really impressed with our pitching!
  2. UMBC played a very good game on Sunday, very sound fundamentally all weekend (until the 8th on Sunday). Their pitcher Sunday also had us off balance badly with soft, slow junk. We don't do well against junk ball pitchers. I suspect because Hall wants us to be aggressive at the plate and we look for heat, and don't get it. Kinda like our hitters sit there and think " he won't throw that junk again...no...not after throwing it two straight pitches" and whoosh, they are way out in front of another junk pitch. But UMBC looks to me like they should do well int heir league if they keep playing like that.
  3. Hall was a genius Sunday. Moved Gonzo from LF to #B when they were rallying in the 8th (2 on, no one out) and Matt makes a sterling play on a softly hit grounder to end the inning with us still protecting a 2-1 lead. They puts what's-his-name into RF for defense, Nand the kid makes a sliding grab of a fly to right to end the game.
  4. Oh, and bringing on Matt Gorst to over-power the UMBC hitters kinda worked out well too.
  5. Ryan Puerifoy looks lost at the plate. I feel for the long man and hope he breaks out of his slump.
  6. No Kel on Sunday....day off to help him out of his slump?
  7. English and Stallings look like they are already excellent hitters and will lead this team for the next three years.
  8. Gonzo looks to me like the best player on our team. Can throw out a runner at home form the outfield, plays a sterling 3B, and hits well also. Dude!
  9. Defense today was solid except for one inning when we made two errors on one play to put a leadoff runner at 2nd base. Hughe pitched out of it.
  10. Hughes had runners on all day, but made pitches when he needed to. Did I say yet that I liked our pitching?
I can't wait to see how we fare in 10 days or so against Auburn and FSU.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Heard Danny Hall speak today at Lunch Bunch and he mentioned that they did not feel like he had his swing back yet after his injury last year. They sat him for this reason.

Lots of good info from Hall. He's a very personable guy at such events. Leaves me feeling very optimistic about the season....

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Heard Danny Hall speak today at Lunch Bunch and he mentioned that they did not feel like he had his swing back yet after his injury last year. They sat him for this reason.

Lots of good info from Hall. He's a very personable guy at such events. Leaves me feeling very optimistic about the season....

He's great ambassador for Tech and our players love him !

Thanks for the info.